Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

Default LW Mk II Focus - new owner questions

Greetings all,

Took delivery of my Titanium diesel hatch a couple of weeks ago. Loving it. A very sophisticated and accomplished small car!

But I do have a couple of questions to which I can't find answers in the handbook...

1. Windscreen washer mess: I use the windscreen washers a fair bit as my route to/from work sees me pass through several of Sydney's tunnels, and it's not always possible to avoid the drips from the roof. However, whenever I use the washers, I end up with water all over the bonnet, trailing away in several directions from the washer nozzles. Is this normal? (Note: I am not talking about spray from the headlight washers. That's a different thing altogether!)
  2. Sony 9-speaker audio system - wiring diagram? I'm a bit of an audiophile and, though I'm quite impressed with the Sony audio system (for a manufacturer-fitted system), I reckon the bottom end is a bit light on. I'm contemplating a small sub-woofer to give some low end extension. Has anyone found or seen a wiring diagram for the factory-installed 9-speaker Sony system? I'm keen to find a way to interface to it without simply tapping from the speaker outputs. Also, does anyone know whether this system uses a separate amplifier (like the 10-speaker Sony system that is used in North America)?
And an observation: the Adaptive Cruise Control (I have the Sports Exec pack) is a very clever bit of kit. I have been amazed by its ability to keep up in freeway traffic, maintaining safe distance to the car in front. I thought it would be a bit of a gimmick - but it works VERY well.

Thanks.

Richard.

richardnau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LW Mk II Focus - new owner questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnau View Post

Took delivery of my Titanium diesel hatch a couple of weeks ago. Loving it. A very sophisticated and accomplished small car!
First and foremost, congratulations! I have a petrol LW Titanium with Sports Executive Pack. Absolutly wonderful car!

Quote:
Windscreen washer mess: I use the windscreen washers a fair bit as my route to/from work sees me pass through several of Sydney's tunnels, and it's not always possible to avoid the drips from the roof. However, whenever I use the washers, I end up with water all over the bonnet, trailing away in several directions from the washer nozzles. Is this normal? (Note: I am not talking about spray from the headlight washers. That's a different thing altogether!)
Can't say this has every happened to me. Are the nozzles pointing correctly, if not you can use a pin to adjust them. Definitely not something I've ever noticed, apart from the headlamp washers putting water everywhere lol!

Quote:
And an observation: the Adaptive Cruise Control (I have the Sports Exec pack) is a very clever bit of kit. I have been amazed by its ability to keep up in freeway traffic, maintaining safe distance to the car in front. I thought it would be a bit of a gimmick - but it works VERY well.
Agree with you here. It works like a charm, and the only time where it overreacts is in sharp corners where a vehicle in the next lane might interfere, but the manual does warn of this. Splendid bit of kit. People will say it's a lazy feature, but it's so good, couldn't picture any future car of mine not having it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
totallysour
Starter Motor

Quote:
  1. Windscreen washer mess: I use the windscreen washers a fair bit as my route to/from work sees me pass through several of Sydney's tunnels, and it's not always possible to avoid the drips from the roof. However, whenever I use the washers, I end up with water all over the bonnet, trailing away in several directions from the washer nozzles. Is this normal? (Note: I am not talking about spray from the headlight washers. That's a different thing altogether!)
I experience the same problem with my LW every time I use my wipers. Very annoying when you've gone to all the effort to make your car all shiny! (I'm assuming you mean water trails, meandering their way down the bonnet, as opposed to spray).

I assumed this was normal but would appreciate any comments if others experience this too
totallysour is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallysour View Post
I experience the same problem with my LW every time I use my wipers. Very annoying when you've gone to all the effort to make your car all shiny! (I'm assuming you mean water trails, meandering their way down the bonnet, as opposed to spray).

I assumed this was normal but would appreciate any comments if others experience this too
That's EXACTLY what I mean. I'm just about to grab a pin to try to adjust.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

Quote:
I'm just about to grab a pin to try to adjust.
So I looked at making an adjustment using a pin... like on an older car with a small circular spray nozzle. On my LW MkII, however, the nozzles are fixed vertical slots. There is not ability to adjust.

Closer inspection of the water trails suggests that some of it is due to poorly directed spray, and some may be caused by overflow from the nozzles when they are not in use. Anybody have thoughts on that?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Foconatic

Quote:
Greetings all,

But I do have a couple of questions to which I can't find answers in the handbook...

2. Sony 9-speaker audio system - wiring diagram? I'm a bit of an audiophile and, though I'm quite impressed with the Sony audio system (for a manufacturer-fitted system), I reckon the bottom end is a bit light on. I'm contemplating a small sub-woofer to give some low end extension. Has anyone found or seen a wiring diagram for the factory-installed 9-speaker Sony system? I'm keen to find a way to interface to it without simply tapping from the speaker outputs. Also, does anyone know whether this system uses a separate amplifier (like the 10-speaker Sony system that is used in North America)?

Thanks.

Richard.
Welcome to the Titainum SEP family. Mines a Sedan 2 ltr GDI.

I haven't had the issue with the washer nozzles. Could it be water expanding in the heat? Or does it only happen after you have used them?
I'm not a fan of the new spray system on new cars and prefer the old jet system because the spray can obstruct your view if you use them while driving. I love the free rotating wipers helps when cleaning the windscreen or washing the car.

I too would like the an answer to the sub woffer question myself. I have removed my sSony system to check for any sub woffer outputs but cannot find any. I have photos of the rears of the 3 units. (The face, amp and the display). I wanted to see if there was a reversing camera input. See my post on that. SO ANYBODY want to help us??

I love the adaptive cruise too. So much so when I drive my other car on cruise I almost forget to brake.
One negitave... the fuel flap dosen't lock. So anyone can tamper with the fuel filler.

Enjoy your new "T"

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go

Last edited by Foconatic; 04-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Gaspode
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foconatic View Post
One negitave... the fuel flap dosen't lock. So anyone can tamper with the fuel filler.
It locks on my LW2, but only when the car is locked.

Edit: Sorry, I have a hatch - maybe the sedan doesn't do it?
Gaspode is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Foconatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspode View Post
It locks on my LW2, but only when the car is locked.

Edit: Sorry, I have a hatch - maybe the sedan doesn't do it?
I've seen a post where even the hatch flap wont lock. Is yours German built or Thai built?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Gaspode
Starter Motor

Thai built.

Took delivery mid November
Gaspode is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

On my Thai-built hatch, the fuel flap can be opened about 5-10mm when the doors are locked (basically, the press-to-open/press-to-close latch can be opened), but it can't be opened any further than that.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

Quote:
I haven't had the issue with the washer nozzles. Could it be water expanding in the heat? Or does it only happen after you have used them?
I'm not a fan of the new spray system on new cars and prefer the old jet system because the spray can obstruct your view if you use them while driving. I love the free rotating wipers helps when cleaning the windscreen or washing the car.
Further (further) investigation suggests that the problem actually is when spraying. The problem is that the 'mist' doesn't spray high enough, so a proportion sprays onto the bonnet in front of the outlet. Depending on speed, the eddies of air carry the misplaced spray in all directions.

Quote:
I too would like the an answer to the sub woffer question myself. I have removed my sSony system to check for any sub woffer outputs but cannot find any. I have photos of the rears of the 3 units. (The face, amp and the display). I wanted to see if there was a reversing camera input. See my post on that. SO ANYBODY want to help us??
Did you post your photos? I will try to find them. Sounds like there IS a separate amp, which is encouraging. Wiring diagrams or even connector pinouts would be very handy.

Thanks.

(And yes, minor niggles aside, I am loving the car. A new niggle is the climate control. In mono mode and when outside temps are mild (say 20-24 degrees), it emits warm air on the driver's side and freezing cold air on the passenger. I suspect that one of the temp sensors has failed. I'm pretty sure the driver's sensor is behind the small grille in front of the driver's left knee. Anyone know where the passenger-side sensor is located?)
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Foconatic

Did you post your photos? I will try to find them. Sounds like there IS a separate amp, which is encouraging. Wiring diagrams or even connector pinouts would be very handy.

Thanks.

I'll try and post them this afternoon.

However here is the link with a picture of the display unit rear section:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...92#post4497992

Last edited by Foconatic; 05-01-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added thumbnail
Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Foconatic

Here's how to remove the audio unit:

Remove the plastic cover under the audio face. Just above the Climate contol panes. Use a flat nose pliers to grab on to the middle rib and tug downwards.
Used a rag between the pliers jaws so that the rib doesn't get marked.

Remove the two torx bit screws.

Pull out the audio unit by giving it a good tug outwards from the bottom. It should clip out. Be careful with the top section the clips are a bit stubborn. Note that the audio unit and centre vents come out as one piece.

Remove the connector to the audio unit fascia.

The main unit (which I call the CD /amp unit) can be removed. I'm not sure if this is the amp or if there is/are other amp/s elsewhere in the vehicle??

This is the back of the display/nav unit.

Last edited by Foconatic; 06-01-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

Here's an update on the water trails...

Dealer says it's due to effect of heat, and it's 'completely normal'. Which, of course, is just lazy rubbish.

Research on the Internet suggests that the causes are various, and it's a global phenomenon. An apparent fix is to insert a small one-way valve just before the nozzles. The small amount of pressure required to open the valve prevents the leaks. See here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...t-washer-jets/

So I'm going to try that.

Checking out the nozzles on my Titanium SEP also revealed that they are fitted with heaters! Should be a real help in Sydney!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to change the subject but does anyone know why the new Focus Trend sedan dosnt come in a 5sp manual, my wife's keen to buy one but not an auto.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the LW MK1 you couldn't get any sedans in manual.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're only as a manual in the Ambiente, she might just have to go for a 5Dr hatch in a Trend.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post