Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default water tanks??....IPSWICH (west of brisbane) qld

does anyone know where a good place to get a large garden water tank [say around 10000ltr] in the ipswich area would be? my only concern would be the need to have it delivered and preferably dropped straight over the 6ft side fence.
any prices aswell.... thanks

1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: water tanks??....IPSWICH (west of brisbane) qld

Brissie Road, just before the One Mile Bridge on the right as you head that way.
Forget the name of the joint, but you'll see where I mean.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Would be easier if you could remove a section of the fence. When my parents got their 20kL tank delivered it was just rolled into position straight off the flatbed.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
does anyone know where a good place to get a large garden water tank [say around 10000ltr] in the ipswich area would be? my only concern would be the need to have it delivered and preferably dropped straight over the 6ft side fence.
any prices aswell.... thanks
Theres plenty of tank manufacturers around, sometimes one further away will do a better price and delivery,not so long ago tank sellers were throwing in free pressure pumps
Usually they just rolled of the truck as mentioned, lifting over a 6 foot fence youll need a crane or something,more costs,cheaper to drop a section of fence
Dont forget youll need site work,clean area,bedding sand down,full itll weigh 10 tonne
Also beyond the costs,youll need to check the area its goin, theres many various tank style now,its not as simple as a "10,000L tank thanks mate "
Then there colours ect ect
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Brissie Road, just before the One Mile Bridge on the right as you head that way.
I think it's called 'vet and farm' or 'town and country' something like that. But your best of ringing around and getting the best price. My brother and I threw a 5000L over the fence but a 10 000L would be fun.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
wow...you wont believe this but I was in there yesterday arvo I saw some tanks but as I was going in I got a phone call and literally could only spend a quick minute looking in the place. will have to go back an check them out. Thanks.
Oh and I do have some double gates to access easily down the same side....but wasn't sure if the trucks they use tend to have cranes on them. I would have thought they would with the type of work they do....anyway thanks for all the tips.......I totally forgot about the need for a compacted flatbed for the tankwhoops.
Anyone used a pump off there tank to run anything but hoses...say washing machine or similar????
Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
silver_xe

Thomas Thoms at Wulkuraka manufactures tanks.

http://www.thomasthoms.com.au/Contact.html
silver_xe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

There's about four on the way out towards Gatton on the Warrego. There's one that stands out to me but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, left hand side heading to Toowoomba...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Anyone used a pump off there tank to run anything but hoses...say washing machine or similar????
I've got approx 9Kl tank and I run a pump which does the watering system for the garden beds, front and back. It is plumbed in to the house in to the laundry, but the connection going from solid plastic pipe to the copper pipe in the house is a piece of garden hose and clamps. It leaks a little bit and I've been too lazy to fix it up, so we don't use it.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
I've got approx 9Kl tank and I run a pump which does the watering system for the garden beds, front and back. It is plumbed in to the house in to the laundry, but the connection going from solid plastic pipe to the copper pipe in the house is a piece of garden hose and clamps. It leaks a little bit and I've been too lazy to fix it up, so we don't use it.
ahh thats awesome thanks. thanks 4 all the other places guys.ill check em out
Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Also, regarding the bed you will sit this tank on. Make it as compacted and as solid as possible. When my parents showed me where they wanted the tank next to the house I constructed a box out of treated sleepers. Was then filled up with soil, watered and compacted (several times) to allow settlement and finally crushed rock / sand.

We positioned the tank, connected all the pipes and was great. It has now been around 5 years, the tank has sunk around 100mm, and the top of the tank is around 100mm away from the wall compared the the base. Over time, rain has removed material from the bedding material and the weight has also compacted it very well. Meaning that all attachments are now under stress.

So, unless you are sitting the tank on a concrete slab that will never shift, make the pipes / hoses coming off the tank flexible, not solid and glued... I installed a PVC extension pipe to clear the sleepers to attach a hose, when the tank is empty it clears the timber by about 70mm, when it is full the base seems to flare out and we have already had to chisel out 1inch from the timber, same with the timber below the pipes attaching attaching the tank to our pump.

My vote would be a slab, with a hard foam pad - like what they sell in camping stores for the base.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most new tanks will have allowances for either 3/4 " or 1 " BSP fittings,some even come with the ball value
Any pressure pump correctly fitted will run anything you like
If you get a 2 or 3 way pressure pump, itll handle its required pressure for 2 or 3 outlets,pumps if not supplied will sting you ,oh around $200-$250
Ive got a 2 way on a 5,000L tank, run washing machine and gerni same time no probs
A tank seller should recommend a required pump for your purpose, but go a touch bigger so later you can throw another outlet fitting or another hose on
BUT remember ,if it leaks or you leave it on and it blows a fitting or hose, when the tank empties the pump doesnt turn off, if it runs for long with no water running threw it,itll burn out very quickly
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yellow festie is on the money

build a little area ,we used quarry sand, and grab a few sleepers and some rapid set from bummings to hold it all in
our 22.5 thou litre (which isnt hooked up yet) came on a flat bed and we just undid the straps and rolled it off
then got me the misses and a mate to do the lift and roll around trick, move it about a meter each time till we got it in place
if its being delivered, maybe look at not getting all the taps and holes cut now and wait till its off the truck and in position.
but you will then need someone (or if u know what youre doing do it yourself) to drill the holes and hook it all up
i was quoted 550 smackers just to come and hook the pump up
plus the pump was around 600

it adds up quickly, unless you know someone
curious on the price of the tank for the size you want
think we paid around 1800 for a 22.5
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

thanks heaps guys. I will keep you updated with who what where and when we buy.
Ill deff be ussing crusher dust with quik set concete mixed and a gravel base. Done this in the past at work but never purchased for myself. (i even buried one under a cliets house down the coast...that was amaazing
im keen on looking at a pump setup also for hoses to the garden, vegie patch, car gernie and maybe the washing machine. Sounds like a very good thing to get right and the overall rewards should be good....unless we keen this damn drought up..ta