Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Potential NSW L and P speed limits changed

I'm finding it weird they can do 110 just because they have a adult in the car but P platers are stuck at 90km.... Adult or not the car is still going to re-act the same.
buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I find it ironic that the same people who advocate driver discretion when talking about speed limits find it acceptible that L platers should be able to do speeds to match the rest of us.

I suppose all L platers should be able to do 255k/hr now as long as they believe it is safe to do so on a lonely freeway with no one else around...
Statistics show that learner drivers under instruction are far less likely to have an accident than a driver under 25 years old on their own.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Well I'm in Victoria and I did 110km/h on my Ls and I'm still alive.

Unfortunately for some.
Your missing the point, i dont have a problem with L platers doing 110 in a 110 zone, but some of us would have you believe that us experienced drivers should be able to do 110+ at our discretion.
With the topic of this thread in mind, it would therefore be acceptable for L platers to use the same discretion to prevent getting in anyones way.

Would you, when on your L's in a 110 zone feel safe if someone came up on you doing 140?
This is no different to the current situation where L platers are doing 80 and everyone else is approaching doing 110 isnt it?

For the record, i believe this new approach to L platers is actually positive, so long as everyone is content doing 110.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #34
Hayden1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I find it ironic that the same people who advocate driver discretion when talking about speed limits find it acceptible that L platers should be able to do speeds to match the rest of us.

I suppose all L platers should be able to do 255k/hr now as long as they believe it is safe to do so on a lonely freeway with no one else around...
Am I sensing obvious sarcasm? I hope I am.
According to you it must be a mystery how everyone else in this country has learnt how to drive while being allowed to do the same speeds as other full licensed drivers. I don't understand your irony nor do I believe it is SAFE to do 255km/h (or any speed in a piece of machinery that can weigh a couple of tonne) anywhere!
It's not speeding that is the major danger, nor is it the vehicle they are driving. It is the driver behind the wheel who makes the decisions on whether they follow the law or not. Relevence? Well the fact that learners are limited to a certain speed means they aren't able to learn how a vehicle behaves at higher speeds.
I don't understand how it is unacceptable for a learner to have the same rights on our roads as a fully licensed driver. How else are they going to learn? They aren't forced to do the speed, only if they are comfortable.

edit-
Sorry mate I saw your new post. I think you better word your posts better next time, or I better read them better. Now that I understand your previous post I think it has no relevance to this topic.
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #35
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v View Post
now they need to do something with the oldies that drive up to 40kmph below the speed limit on the highways
Couldn't agree more.
Almost rear ended some old lady in a Corolla doing 75 in the OVERTAKING LANE a couple of weeks ago, and yes I know, should've had eyes on the road at all times.

But who expects a car to be doing 75 in the right lane? You shouldn't have to worry about that sort of thing.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #36
metalphreak

You aren't allowed on the freeway in WA for the first phase of Ls (6months). Everything's changed in the last ten years though since I got my license. You should learn to operate a car in surface streets first then progress to highways.
metalphreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
Keladry
Starter Motor

I never understood the 80km/h limit for learners in some states. It's proven that L platers have the lowest crash rate because they're supervised, surely it's better to practice those high speeds with someone else than by yourself for the first time? It's dangerous on one lane roads to have cars doing so much below, and on multi-lane roads the learner would basically have to stay in the left lane and so can't practice changing lanes.
Keladry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #38
Gaz
Got Ghia?

I think they at least corrected the issue WA had years ago... Could do 100km/h on your L's. Get your P's and you were limited to 80.
Old 18-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #39
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed disparity has been proven to be one of the most dangerous thing on freeways. When vehicles travel at or near the same speed the danger of a collision diminishes markedly because lane changing and other manouvers can be executed more easily and safely.

I think that P platers should be able to travel at the speed of trucks and buses so that their speed is similar to lessen the chances of collisions as they need to use the same lanes. L platers when a certain level of competency has been reached and their instructors are confident of their ability to travel on freeways should be able to travel at the posted speed limit. This again will limit speed disparity between vehicles and also give the learner much needed experience. There should also be minimum speed limits for the faster lanes on multi lane highways for the same reason.

Also anyone who thinks that 110 klm/hr is fast should pull over and use the designated slow lane (regardless of your age) as you have exceeded the level of your ability at the time and are a liability to more competent drivers in the faster lanes.

Last edited by noflac52; 18-12-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: grammer
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
Speed disparity has been proven to be one of the most dangerous thing on freeways. When vehicles travel at or near the same speed the danger of a collision diminishes markedly because lane changing and other manouvers can be executed more easily and safely.
"Proven" in some statistic somewhere? I'm afraid my experience in Europe, where there is even greater speed disparity, doesn't bear that out. Motorways enable those in the kerb lane to choose their speed and anyone who wants to pass them has the outside lane/s to use. That's the whole idea.

I've just spent 6 months lane-changing (with many others doing the same) at 140 or so past trucks doing 90 and it was quite easy and safe thanks. I'm still here on AFF to tell the tale, but now very nervous on Australian motorways where people are afraid to use speed to pass in case there's a camera down the road, so they all hover around each other for agonising long periods.

A whole heap of vehicles travelling at the same speed also has a prime chance of having a spectacular pile-up if one hits the brakes.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #41
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huh? No! proven in the real world I think you've missed the point here. I didn't say that any of your statements can't be done. I do them myself. A whole heap of vehicles travelling at the same speed is what we get every day and if drivers are competent to do so then there is not a higher percentage chance of a crash because they will be driving to conditions and leaving enough stopping room to suit the speed at which they are travelling. Which you have already pointed out with your previous posts about driving in europe

This is a much better scenario than one or two drivers using the faster lane but deciding to drive 10 or 15 klm slower than the posted speed limit but not moving over forcing all vehicles coming from behind to brake and move to a slower lane to get around them. This creates chaos in high traffic situations. Put one of those trucks doing 90 in the fast lane where you and everyone else are are doing 140 and see what chaos emerges.

I didn't say anything about not using speed to carry out an over taking manouver as a matter of fact I support the idea of not being on the wrong side of the road for any longer than is absolutely necessary when over taking but on the freeway it doesn't happen and my statements were about freeways and the freeflowing of the lanes and the way they are used which is the subject of the thread.
I honestly don't get the point of your post.
Old 18-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #42
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's okay, we're talking about different scenarios I guess. Yes the Australian problem of people hovering in the right lane is a real issue.
Old 18-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
That's okay, we're talking about different scenarios I guess. Yes the Australian problem of people hovering in the right lane is a real issue.
And this of course is based on the assumption that all 110 and 100 zones are four lane or above where in fact the majory are just ordinary dual lane roads.

NSW does not actually stand for Newcastle Sydney Woollongong.

There are learners and P platers outside the "special" area........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #44
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just talking about freeways atm but I agree that most of our roads present a real problem for speed disparity and getting to your destination in a timely manner.

This begs the question. Surely higher levels of driver training are warranted?

Then we have a scenario where new drivers are able to travel safely at the same speed as the surrounding traffic alleviating the problem somewhat. Instead of learning on the job as many posts have alluded to with "lack of experience". I know real world experience can't be equalled but we can easily start them off at a much higher competency level than we do now rather than listen to the media and govt bleat about what a danger they are.
Atm its a bit like ground hog day.
Old 18-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
L platers when a certain level of competency has been reached and 'their instructors are confident of their ability to travel on freeways' should be able to travel at the posted speed limit.
those words are the very key to success.

When I was teaching people to drive I would never ever put them in a situation until they were ready for it, I used to start them of rural roads, then skirt the outside of town and as they grew in confidence I would bring them into the centre of town during quieter times then busy times, highway driving then freeway driving, even dirt road driving, I even used to get them to practice driving onto the dirt verge on the side of rural roads at speed then get them to bring the car back on safely, too many times young people over-correct in these situations and roll the car.
Old 18-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #46
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Scruby is a rabid car hater.

His agenda is the restriction of privately owned motor vehicles to "valid reason" and type of vehicle to "required type". (e.g. weekend cruising is not a valid reason and Falcon GTs are not a required type)

He will do any and everything possible to make driving and ownership more difficult for car enthusiasts.
He's the bloke who tried to get jogging banned in Mosman (NSW) back in the 90's (92) as an alderman.
Quote:
A few months ago, Mr Scruby saw 60 Minutes footage of Tani Ruckle jogging on the roads of Balmoral and promptly asked police to charge her. Mr Scruby said at the time: "If our police force accepts joggers on the road does that mean that runners should also wear helmets? Can they jog in a clearway? Maybe they should also make hand signals ..."

Ms Ruckle said: "Harold Scruby was so insistent that police fine me that the police eventually had to get the minister to release a statement to clarify the issue ... it's a bit weird isn't it?"

Ms Ruckle now has to use "suitable footpaths".
http://www.rollerblade.com.au/roller...-do-in-mosman/

Aside from 'walk dot com dot au', he's involved in AUSFLAG the change the flag mob etc and so on.
http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancou...asp?PageID=105
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #47
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just seen on the news that they approved the speed limit change for L platers.

I'm still keen on what's happening with P platers, we stuck with 90 on reds or we change to?
buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #48
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92 View Post
Just seen on the news that they approved the speed limit change for L platers.

I'm still keen on what's happening with P platers, we stuck with 90 on reds or we change to?
They're changing to 200 km/h for P platers so they can all get their rocks off on the new experience of driving before settling down to more orderly long term driving.

Hey I think some already do that?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #49
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

As a regular commuter on F3, L platers restricted to below 100km/h means more trucks need to move into middle lane, which then forces more lane changes all round. And with gentle gradients and speed limiters, this can then cause tailbacks, which leads to the crazy overtaking moves (like ducking behind truck and undertaking before he can get back over).

When i was on my Ls, I was taken onto the F3 and allowed to drive up to 100km/h. I was taught control, lane changing - readin g traffic at higher speeds etc. My old man used to be a sales rep and was on highway all the time and he wanted me ready.

30km/h differences is simply too much on busy 3 lane freeways. 100km/h, in left lane, is suitable and safer.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #50
ltd
Force Fed Fords

News just in, Harold Scruby is also the founding flagpole-walloper at Ausflag, the Trotskyite commo's who want to change the flag and are ashamed that Fiji is getting a new flag before Australia.
Considering many have died/are dying under an Australian Flag, is it any wonder a serial ****** like Scruby is in everyone's face all the time trying to dishonour the fallen? He's never done anything for anyone but been a career narcissist; his term at Mosman council is evidence of this.
Just for fun I like to send him emails that say the following:

"Dear Harold, just thought I'd drop you a line to let you know that I witnessed somewhere, someone having fun and not listening to the likes of you at all."

Drives the inner totalitarian twat insane I tells ya.

Quote: