Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why are people flashing their lights at me? And... cars with lights out?

Ok two things, firstly in the past week or so, I've been flashed on two occasions. Why? I have a 2010 car, all my lights are in working order. The first time was even during the day! The second time, was just late this evening, by a tram!! I was going about 45 in a 40 zone, I had my normal headlights on plus fog lights. Nothing out of the ordinary I would think? Both times, the vehicle/tram was coming from the opposite direction? Can someone think of a reason ?? (PS - I don't have a Ford, but don't hold that against me).

Secondly, on the topic of lights, I've noticed quite a few vehicles with only 1 tail light working, or one headlight significantly brighter than the other, things like that. What I'm wondering is, how are the mechanics who service these cars missing these things?? Surely a simple light test is part of every routine service? People often blame the owners for these things, but I think the mechanics are at fault some of the time for not picking these problems up!! (or maybe they do, but the owner is simply too cheap to do anything about it?).

Last edited by MrZ; 28-12-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 28-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why are people flashing their lights at me? And... cars with lights out?

Fog lights are illegal to be on when there isnt fog.... for starters.
And are you sure your not on high beam... Even in daylight high beam is an annoyance to on coming cars.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 28-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why are people flashing their lights at me? And... cars with lights out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Fog lights are illegal to be on when there isnt fog.... for starters.
And are you sure your not on high beam... Even in daylight high beam is an annoyance to on coming cars.
Technically fog lights are illegal, but so is flashing someone for having their fog lights on. So is having only 1 functioning tail-light, as I have already mentioned. My high beams are also never on. Around my area and most of Melbourne, I think, fog lights are very commonly used at night and it is almost never enforced. I highly doubt this tram driver is flashing everyone who has their fogs on, because he would soon be in trouble if he did.
Old 28-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

Maybe the guy in the day flashing his high beams at you to warn you of a speed camera? And the tram driver was just annoyed at your foglights being bright?
Old 28-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Generally one light will be darker than the other to not blind oncoming traffiic. The Ef/EL falcon is the best example. How many have you seen drive by with the driver side light rather dull? High beam works as normal, but low is dimmed to not get in others eyes

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Old 28-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps your fog lights are brighter then most other cars fog lights and it's annoying people.
For every car that flashes you there is probably 100 who are annoyed by your lights that don't flash.

Newcastle went through the fog lights phase. It was at its peak about 1.5 years ago.
I noticed Mudgee was at its peak about 5-6 months ago.

Here in Newcastle we still have fog light Thursday. Seams to be pretty popular.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Perhaps your fog lights are brighter then most other cars fog lights and it's annoying people.
For every car that flashes you there is probably 100 who are annoyed by your lights that don't flash.

Newcastle went through the fog lights phase. It was at its peak about 1.5 years ago.
I noticed Mudgee was at its peak about 5-6 months ago.

Here in Newcastle we still have fog light Thursday. Seams to be pretty popular.
The Hunter is horrible for that. Especially cars that sit higher with both their foglights and headlights in your eyes!

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Old 28-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
mwoo1612
EF Monty

I would probably guess a speed camera warning, maybe? What part of Melbourne, if you don't mind?
Old 28-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oncoming headlights may appear to have differences in brightness, this can also be attributed to them not being correctly alighned & adjusted.
Old 28-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoo1612 View Post
I would probably guess a speed camera warning, maybe? What part of Melbourne, if you don't mind?
First incident was Alma Rd, St. Kilda which is only a 1 lane, 60 km/h road with very low traffic (and very few speeders). Unlikely to be a speed camera but you never know? Tonight was on Toorak Rd. My fog lights are also not particularly bright, just standard ones. It's also a 4 door sedan so they're not high up either.
Old 28-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
mwoo1612
EF Monty

Maybe you've annoyed the Toorak tractor brigade!
Actually a while back, i thought i was being flashed a couple of times, from behind. I couldn't find anything, then i realised it was just the other cars lights moving up and down on the uneven roads. Every time they went over a small bump in the road, their lights looked like they were flashing at me!
Old 28-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So turn the fog lights off and see if you still get flashed???!!!

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
Old 28-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoo1612 View Post
Every time they went over a small bump in the road, their lights looked like they were flashing at me!
lol. Well, I have projector headlights which are meant to reduce this problem, compared to reflector lamps? Or could these type of headlights be creating an entirely new kind of problem that I'm not aware of?
Old 28-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say turn the foglights out as well. As the name suggests they are for fog or low visability.
Old 28-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
lol. Well, I have projector headlights which are meant to reduce this problem, compared to reflector lamps? Or could these type of headlights be creating an entirely new kind of problem that I'm not aware of?

HID's + bad angle = glare, then people think you have the high beams on.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
Old 28-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #16
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some vehicles are fitted with a high intensity rear red light ment for bad visability conditions hyundi have them very annoying, also it is illegal and annoying to have some one diving around the city with fog lights on not cool

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

Old 28-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #17
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as the owner of the vehicle, you that's right you are responsible for the condition of your car lights,tires, brakes and everything gee you must be under 25 i guess

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

Old 28-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #18
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Because generally cars with one headlight cant afford a mechanic. Look at the condition & age of the car. There are exceptions. But generally these drivers cant affird a spanner man.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 28-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you're allowed to illegally be using your fog lights because people who flash you, or have blown light globes are doing illegal things too?

Turn off the fog lights.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #20
satria
FOXWHO

Turn your fog lights off you slapper, you don't look cooler with them on!
Old 28-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turn em off
4 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

As above. Turn off ya fog lights. They are not necessary.

Also, I also see lots of cars without working lights, police seem to ignore these cars unless they are hooning. So people don't care.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 28-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #23
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Technically fog lights are illegal, but so is flashing someone for having their fog lights on. So is having only 1 functioning tail-light, as I have already mentioned. My high beams are also never on. Around my area and most of Melbourne, I think, fog lights are very commonly used at night and it is almost never enforced. I highly doubt this tram driver is flashing everyone who has their fogs on, because he would soon be in trouble if he did.
Where in the ARR does it say flashing lights is illegal?
Old 28-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

You're unlikely to be dazzled by an oncoming vehicle with only one working head light. Can't say the same for fog lights. Turn them off and I guarantee oncoming vehicles will only flash you to warn you of speed cameras.
Old 28-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #25
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

You got fogs on , you get my hids ...yes I see em all scratching their head trying to work it out
Old 28-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

is your light alignment correct?
has the suspension been changed at all?
do you have much weight in the rear of the car?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 28-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're flashing you because it's extremely annoying (and illegal) when people drive with their fog lights on for no reason. If you're driving up Toorak Rd there's no reason why you need them. A kangaroo isn't gonna jump out in front of you. Turn the bloody things off.
Old 28-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
Kryton

Take the hint and get your lights aligned properly.
Old 28-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are done now.
OP, it is illegal to use the fog/running lights fitted to your car unless the conditions allow for, just like it is to use your horn & flash oncoming cars unless it is necessary.
Closed Thread