Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #91
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Default Re: Chrysler to Release a Cheaper SRT8...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
If so many people are lamenting the end of the stripped out muscle car then why aren't the supercharged gs's flying out the door?

They're basically the same spec as my xr8 gadget wise with no options... And that's a pretty no frills package.
Maybe because it's missing the iconic GT badge?... it's hard to say.

If my XR8 didn't have ABS, TC, DSC, power windows and side airbags, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I hardly ever use these features on a day to day basis. What counts is how many ponies she's making, those quad exhaust tips and that bonnet bulge turning heads !!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #92
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
If so many people are lamenting the end of the stripped out muscle car then why aren't the supercharged gs's flying out the door?

They're basically the same spec as my xr8 gadget wise with no options... And that's a pretty no frills package.
Exactly...and they even stripped proper brakes off it for goodness sake !!! And with a simple tune they make circa 380 rwkw's and everyone knows that and yet they're still slow sellers.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #93
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
I take a car to the track that has none of those things. I'm still in one piece.
Track ain't the road mate.... where morons pull out from a side street right in front of you...in the wet ...and that's but one example of the 101 other idiotic things other inconsiderate roads users do....can't say I've ever had to rely on ABS or DSC but its nice to know its there.

Had an interesting experience with the SRT8 drive evaluation I did earlier this year and its adaptive cruise control which can be set for 1, 2 or 3 seconds gap to the car in front and we all know the law says there should be a two second gap so I set the adaptive cruise for 2 seconds.

First up this is an incredibly bit of useful gear on motorways, really allows you to relax in congested motorway situations but perhaps far more importantly makes sure you're keeping the minimum 2 second gap to the vehicle in front.
The very latest versions of adaptive cruise controls, (sadly an earlier version is fitted to the SRT8) can bring the car to a complete halt and accelerate away again when the time is right...goodbye to the stress of stop-start congested traffic jams !!!!!

Anyway I set the SRT8's adaptive cruise for 2 seconds which it kep superbly and as soon as a vehicle pulled into my lane in front of me from an adjacent lane the cars system put the brakes on and very quickly re-established the 2 second gap.

Coulpe of things. 1. I realised that more often than not I havn't been keeping a 2 second gap without adaptive cruise and that my driving habits have become too aggressive over the years and secondly when people are rude enough to pull into a small space like a 2 second gap to the vehicle in front I'm sometimes tempted to tailgate them to "reward" them for their behaviour which of course is no good for one's blood pressure. With adaptive cruise I just let the system re-adjust the gap and turned up the 19 speaker Harmopn Kardon sound system a bit Absolute Bliss and no need to stress

I like adaptive cruise and think its a really relaxing way to cruise the nation's higway's. Maybe it appeals to me because i'm over 50 now, but be that as it may I reckon its really cool technology. Necessary NO, but then again neither was the original form of cruise control when it was first introduced and now many of us take standard cruise control as an expected piece of technology in our car. In ten years time, I predict if a car doesn't have adaptive cruise people will be asking why the heck not ?

Last edited by Rodge; 23-12-2012 at 06:40 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #94
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Track ain't the road mate.... where morons pull out from a side street right in front of you...in the wet ...and that's but one example of the 101 other idiotic things other inconsiderate roads users do....can't say I've ever had to rely on ABS or DSC but its nice to know its there.

Had an interesting experience with the SRT8 drive evaluation I did earlier this year and its adaptive cruise control which can be set for 1, 2 or 3 seconds gap to the car in front and we all know the law says there should be a two second gap so I set the adaptive cruise for 2 seconds.

First up this is an incredibly bit of useful gear on motorways, really allows you to relax in congested motorway situations but perhaps far more importantly makes sure you're keeping the minimum 2 second gap to the vehicle in front.
The very latest versions of adaptive cruise controls, (sadly an earlier version is fitted to the SRT8) can bring the car to a complete halt and accelerate away again when the time is right...goodbye to the stress of stop-start congested traffic jams !!!!!

Anyway I set the SRT8's adaptive cruise for 2 seconds which it kep superbly and as soon as a vehicle pulled into my lane in front of me from an adjacent lane the cars system put the brakes on and very quickly re-established the 2 second gap.

Coulpe of things. 1. I realised that more often than not I havn't been keeping a 2 second gap without adaptive cruise and that my driving habits have become too aggressive over the years and secondly when people are rude enough to pull into a small space like a 2 second gap to the vehicle in front I'm sometimes tempted to tailgate them to "reward" them for their behaviour which of course is no good for one's blood pressure. With adaptive cruise I just let the system re-adjust the gap and turned up the 19 speaker Harmopn Kardon sound system a bit Absolute Bliss and no need to stress

I like adaptive cruise and think its a really relaxing way to cruise the nation's higway's. Maybe it appeals to me because i'm over 50 now, but be that as it may I reckon its really cool technology. Necessary NO, but then again neither was the original form of cruise control when it was first introduced and now many of us take standard cruise control as an expected piece of technology in our car. In ten years time, I predict if a car doesn't have adaptive cruise people will be asking why the heck not ?
Rodge I thought the adaptive cruise could only brake at 40% of the cars capacity, thus limiting it in an emergency brake situation. This is where the problem lies as people trail off thinking about things other than controlling the 2t mass they are inside.

I travel about 380km's per day currently, and lots of that is highway. Almost every day there are new sections of guard rail damaged. I see people change lanes halfway and then rip the wheel very suddenly back. I am amazed they don't lose control. Almost 100% of the time these people are traveling under the limit. It is almost as if the relaxing drive is simply putting them to sleep.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #95
Rodge
Banned

Different manufacturers have them set up in varying ways in terms of brake force application, so yeap, its a good idea to get a good understanding of the system and agree its not a good idea to get too relaxed. Not sure of the details and capabilities of the SRT8's system. I think the best systems are the distronic plus one from M Benz and Volvo's system both of which can initiate 100% full force braking if required. I don't think the system on the SRT8 is as cutting edge tech as those.