Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default Sleeping heaps !!!

hi guys share your experiences advice or tips .
IS IT POSSIBLE to be tired and sleeping 12 hrs per day , and still feel tired during the other 12 hours even though you have been given a clean bill of health .
a couple of weeks ago i woke up at 3 am with a shiver , i was cold and could not get warm , the next 4 days i pretty much slept 22 hours per day . the doctor immidiately gave me a full blood test , all was good , he suspected a virus 24hr flu . gave me a few days off work in which i slept continually for the 4 days , 2 weeks later im ok but man i'm sleeping up to 12 hours in one stint and then sometimes a few nanna naps per day also .
people say theyve had this and it takes a coulle of weeks to get over .

looking forward to 6hr sleeps again .

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Default Re: Sleeping heaps !!!

I've found the more I sleep, the more tired it makes me.
Is it possible for you to get some light exercise in? That should boost your energy levels.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Is it possible for you to get some light exercise in? That should boost your energy levels.
THIS!
If you're doing little to nothing you'll actually feel worse, irritable & rather unrefreshed no matter how much sleep you get.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What were your sleeping patterns before hand?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post

This meme doesn't get used enough

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

im a rotating shift worker , my sleeping changes from 24 hours no sleep to 10 hour catchups . or as little as 4 hrs . ( thats what my sleeping pattern is normally like . )

i dont get that memo picture whatever it's meant to mean .

and its true i havent exercised since i took up my hobby earlier on in the year . but my work involves a lot of climbing and walking up and down stairs and at heights etc . still dont regard that as an exercise regime though .
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your a shift worker and your sleeping changes constantly then that is the issue.

Your body has told you it needs rest which is why your sleeping a lot.
Its basically trying to catch up with rest.

Sleeping disorder more then likely... your doc shouldve picked up on it?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your symptoms when sick and how you are now sounds like ross river fever, chronic fatigue can persist for years after infection.
you need a blood test to confirm , if the doc wasn't looking for it before he wouldn't have tested for it

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Sleep Aponea?? If you're a big unit or if your partner says you snore a lot it may be relevant.

Shiftwork would aggravate this.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus sleeps at least 8 hours most night and still complains every weekday about being tired.
Even some weekends she complains too
Doctor says it's probably stress of working a split shift everyday with uni in the middle.

Not only is it bad for the person, but it is also bad for relationships. Half the time I see her she just wants to lay on the lounge doing nothing but watching TV. It annoys me
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

What is the quality of the sleep you're getting? I was going to say you had low iron but if a blood tst was done I assume that would have been looked at?

I get by on 5-6 hrs a night, but I agree that often the more you get the more tired you feel.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

8-12 hours does virtually nothing for me - i guess it does because i can almost operate during the day

i may be finally getting on top of mine after 43 years
bearman's point is possibly a good one. i don't think i have sleep aponea as such, but i video taped myself one night and woke up around 7 times in the first 2 hours. i only knew of waking up the last time and turned off the camera

i have tried many things
giving up gluten in 2004 - worked wonders to begin with, but soon went back to needing heaps of sleep. however my daily dizzy spells have virtually never returned
started on ritalin in 2008 - once again worked wonders to begin with. improved overall again. not sure if it actually does anything now, but afraid to give it up
tried different breathing techniques over the last year. i was taking shallow breathes and the deeper breathes i take now seem to work much better. it has probably relaxed me more and my sleep seems better

i guess there are many things - diet, sleep patterns, exercise, breathing can all make a difference

Last edited by gtxb67; 05-12-2012 at 09:21 PM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Falcman0o7
Banned

You don't have a heart condition do you?
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the old "the more sleep you get, the more you need" does not work for some . . . trust me
if i don't get 8, i am more zombie like than normal. i have tried to operate on between 6-8 but that doesn't work. i can operate on 8-10 . . . with a nap after work
make sure any naps are less than 45 minutes. the idea is to refresh slightly without getting into the deep sleep zone. once there, it takes at least 1 full nights sleep to recover . . . from my experience anyway

exercise sounds good, but while i am fairly active at work, if i go to the gym or even pilates, within 3 weeks i am back to feeling dizzy. i am interested to see if better breathing will help, but the too much sleep or doing exercise theories do not work for everyone. it is like most things. only when in certain situations can someone understand that the clique answers are wrong
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
gtfpv
GT

great to hear peoples experiences . thanks for the suggestions .
well i'm sleeping deeply .
i do have high blood pressure but thats controlled well with meds . im not a big unit . doc checked a lot of things and all was within normal limits .
THE ROSS river virus is one i'll have to think about . would that come up in a blood test , or would it have to be seeked out ?
i am having a little dizziness too like super tired . when i had the 4 day sickness i was very dizzy as well .
never had this tiredness before like this . after about 4 hours of being awake i'm getting tired . not losing or gaining weight . i think i need to exercise , but i'm so not up for it lately .
i can put in a good 14 hours work however on days off i'm sleeping heaps . just not sure what it is , im stumped actually
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had Ross River fever, and it was diagnosed with a blood test. A nurse in Katherine NT guessed it from the symptoms before I had the test later - one of which was very, very painful joints, especially wrists: like bad arthritis. You'll know all about it if you have it. I could barely move for a couple of weeks. It subsequently lead into glandular fever.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's definitely the shift work mate. I use to do a lot of shift work and some days I would sleep 16 hours, the next I would sleep for 4 hours. I tried balancing it out and making sure I only had 8 hours which helped but still felt tired.
The only way I got over it was to have a holiday lol I had 2 weeks off in Fiji and slept a normal 6-8 hours ever night, relaxed during the day without napping. Went back to work and I felt a lot better!
So in short go to Fiji
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Geez....Poor bloke just sleeps strangely.

YOU MUST HAVE HEART CONDITIONS, ROSS RIVER FEVER.

You are going to die.

Bro montana, you are just oversleeping.

Use this:
http://sleepyti.me/

Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep. All you need.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing that I think it may be is that your brain is still active even when sleeping. When you sleep, do you sleep in complete darkness or do you have the radio, TV on. If anything is on around you, when you are sleeping your brain is still listening to the sounds.

Before you sleep try reading a boring book to stop your brain stimulating. Try sleep in complete darkness with no one around.

If you sleep next to someone, they may have a restless sleep and will be waking you every 30 minutes. If this is the case you your brain will still be active and you will not be able to go in to the 4 cycles of sleep correctly.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post

Your body has told you it needs rest which is why your sleeping a lot.
Its basically trying to catch up with rest.
Theres the answer, dont mask it with prescribed drugs
Eat healthy, sleep well,exercise and your body will reguvernate itself
Eat rubbish,lack quality sleep, be a lounge lizard and you body will play games,especially when shift working
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
MAD
Petro-sexual

May sound weird, but try out a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner.
I was having crap sleep for a while, waking at 3-3:30 every night for no reason, struggling for energy in the morning.
Saw a TCM guy for a couple of weeks and was sleeping straight through, and no trouble getting motivated in the morning.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
stevepet

How complete were the blood tests? I have had several "complete tests over the years icluding supposewd gene testing showed nothing. Recently saw diff Dr because of sleeping problems and tiredness. Discovered I had high iron levels which sounds weird everyone thinks iron is good. Now this is under control i sleep normally and not as tired. Its a sh** thing that causes many other probs as well. Insist on full workup.

Good luck

Stev
stevepet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #24
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Maybe age is catching up. In 2006/07 I was working three jobs in excess of 80++ hrs a week. plus any family commitments. I have recently gone back to doing stupid hrs at times & with a 19month old daughter & sometimes needy GF, I don't always get to sleep when I want to. I've only just turned 27 & I've found that I can no longer push as hard & as long without dire strain on my body and if I do push long hrs then it takes me a good day to recover. I might sound like a whinger, but I genuinely cannot "back up" the times I used to 5+ years ago. I didn't believe my dad when he said "you are getting older mate" but he's right.

Even during normal business hrs mon-fri if I'm not called in at nights I'm finding day after day I am sleeping in past my alarm constantly, Just not hearing it full stop. It's not till I'm woken up after the door is opened to unleash the daughter on me to wake me up (the GF is very understanding of my weird wonderful & long hours hence seperate beds most of the time to not wake the other up). i miss the alarm by an hour or two. While I am free to work the hours I choose with the office I subcontract with, I hate coming in late. But sometimes late isn't enough!

Maybe chronic fatigue could be an issue with you here. Don't laugh, it's real & often brushed aside with a "man up" attitude.

P.S. That meme is bugging me. I've seen it by cant place it. What's it from?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 08-12-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post