Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

Default EF Falcon 6x9 Install on parcel Shelf

Gday guys just bought some Pioneer TS-A6971E 6x9's I want to run in the back of my EF on the parcel shelf, just wondering if anyone has had experience installing them and knows how High I would have to space them up for the back of them to drop into the 6inch hole nicely?, I want to space them up with some MDF and bolt the MDF from the bottom rather than cutting parcel shelf, I also heard due to child restraints and things on the parcel shelf that mounting them north south rather than east west is the go?

Dimensions of speakers are Mounting:

Depth 84.3mm
Dimensions 264 x 184 x 117mm

Any experienced help appreciated cheers.

Old 16-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
-jjM-
Banned

spacers dude, unless u want them to sit to the ground, i modded my parcel shelf to fit them in, bit of cuttin, but i only cut enought to fit them, then made a plate to sit them and hold them in and put over the hole, they look good to the floor, parcel shelf is still alright, brother has huge spacers in his car, they look good thow, from jb, but no cheap :S
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Martys_EL_V8

yeah i bought some of those spacers... bloody 30bucks they were was an utter rip off!

so with mounting them do i just install the speakers as normal and bolt the spacers to the shelf somehow?

newbi to stereos in sedans i have only had hatches and coupes previously!

oh god..
ON OWN... ON OWN!!!!

gone are the days when big fords had cigarette lighters in every door
Project FE LTD underway!!
Martys_EL_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
CongoAU2
AYE YOU

Well it's Illegal to cut into your parcel shelf. So why don't you bolt the 6X9's in underneath your parcel shelf. They will still sound good. you can keep your parcel shelf looking stock as to deter thieves also.
CongoAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

everyone says its illegal to cut your parcel shelf, In QLD I know its ok if you stay 2 inches or more away from major items like child restraints and seatbelt mounts for ADR, I doubt many people have ever been picked for it in a roadworthy anyway.

Meanwhile anyone no how High these will have to sit up? im looking at inch thick MDF spacers hopefully they will cut the mustard.
Old 16-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

just cut it! gggrrrrrrr
looks good better than that spacer crap
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
Mickus
Banned

Cutting its ok, Ive had mine cut but it was brought up in a roadworthy so its up to you, if you do decide to cut it, make sure theres heaps of room around the child restraint harness bolts and theres nothing blocking them.
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
xr8svo
Sykmat

In my EF i had 6x9's the were mounted front to back rather than across the car i had spacers of about an inch maybe less and there was a little bit of shaping done but not alot these were professionally installed as well.
xr8svo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
crannersEL
Banned

I didnt like the look of the spacer with 6X9's, so i got a set of 6" rears for my parcel shelf.
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
BLACK 6
★★★

repco $17 for spacers (about an inch of mdf), my shelf is cut but cause of the gas tank that is in there now I had to go for them... otherwise they didn't fit...

just throw a bar mat over the top and it all looks nice, otherwise spend $60 for fibreglass spacers if that's what you want :P
BLACK 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

well I actually bought 4 spacers and even with 2 16mm MDF spacers under the speakers they are still to big for the holes, if I do cut the parcel shelf how do you have a flat survace to mount the speakers? just pulled out my parcel shelf carpet and tehre aint anywhere flat really big enough to cut
Old 16-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #12
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

heres pics of my dilemma, if it was flat sweet I can jigsaw what I want but how do I mount the speakers on a flat surface with these parcel shelves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelf1.jpg (60.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg shelf2.jpg (70.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 16-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #13
-jjM-
Banned

have urself a plasma gun hand :P u could cut that, all ud need next is a sheet of metal to place it on so its flatt
Old 16-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

jigsaw the metal
to fit the 6x9 hole and bolt them to the metal!
dont use spacers gggrrrrr
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #15
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

I realise this, but what im saying is If I jigsaw the inner diameter of the 6x9 on that parcel shelf there isnt a flat surface to bolt the speaker 2 because of the raised section for original 6inch speakers and the corrigated section at the back, what have other people done??
Old 16-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #16
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGER
I realise this, but what im saying is If I jigsaw the inner diameter of the 6x9 on that parcel shelf there isnt a flat surface to bolt the speaker 2 because of the raised section for original 6inch speakers and the corrigated section at the back, what have other people done??
like i said man, just get a flat sheet of metal, use ur scribe that comes wit the speaker box, cutt, and fitt it on, line it all up, an just get some screws and nuts and make sure its down tight, providing ur flat surface, each time u open doors and the boot, that carpet might jump up abit thow, but ehh, it stays where it is

EDIT: heres the result after

Last edited by -jjM-; 16-12-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 16-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #17
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

ahhhh I get ya, hmmm gunna be more of a pain in the *** than I thought, oh well guess I better get measuring up