Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Default MC Mondeo Buzzing Speakers

Have had my vehicle for about ten months now & noticed a few months back that the tweeters tended to buzz occasionally. Oddly mainly when listing to AM radio or having a conversation with "Bitchin Betty" about which "device" I want acted on.
With USB music or FM Radio they seem fine.

Anyway I mentioned this to my Ford Dealer at the last service & of course they were unable to get it to show up while they had it. At the time it was quite intermittent along with the occassional dropping of the right hand speaker when first turned on. This rectifies itself when I adjust the volume usually but again is vary intermittent. Dealer checked leads & all contacts were good.

I did check the forums on the UK Ford site & did find some discussion which indicated that the anchor points for the speakers cause warping of the chasis which in turn causes the buzz. This doesn't really explain why it doesn't seem to be a problem playing music or listening to FM radio though.

The buzzing is far more frequent now so I'm waiting for an opportunity to get it back to the dealer, although I'm not hopefull of a successful outcome.

Thought I'd post this here in case anybody else has experienced this although I havn't seen anything mentioned.

BTW has anybody been able to turn the system all the way up & still stay in the car? I stopped around level 20 I think so I still don't know what flat out goes to! It sure can crank when you want it to.

Cheers

Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Re: MC Mondeo Buzzing Speakers

Is it still only on AM and talk shows? Could just be the lower quality of the AM Frequency compared to USB and FM causing the buzz. It also probably isn't going to sound very good after 20 anyway. Standard sound is usually pretty mediocre at best. Unless you have a premium sound system installed, it's not going to sound too well or last too long
Old 28-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Thanks for the reply Kable.

I agree that AM is far lower quality however this did not happen in any of my previous vehicles, the last two being Fairmont Wagons & I'd rate the sound system in the Mondeo as equal if not superior to either of those.

Only tried extremely high volume once out of curiosity however decibels won out.

"Bitchin Betty" was in reference to the voice activation module in the vehicle. It creates a buzz at times also when replying to my requests/commands.

Cheers
Old 28-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wife has an '09 MB(?). The small speakers in the rear doors used to buzz on a regular basis. Ford replaced them about 18mnths ago and so far so good.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I went through thwo replacements in the MA rear right door.

In the end I just got used to it. If I was to keep it I would have gone to a audio store and got them to fit new speakers.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Thanks for your replies.
Will get them checked by my dealer I think, although looks like that won't guarantee a fix.
Old 28-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
bt0

My wife's MA LX has had the right front speaker replaced once for this already and now its doing it again. Same story, intermittent buzzing (which I am 110% sure its nothing to do with radio reception) but when we are at Ford it doesn't happen so they wont replace it. I'm going to find some replacements myself.
bt0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Vehicle booked in to be checked Monday week. Was able to drop into the dealer last week while it was buzzing so they have heard it now & will hopefully find what's going on with it.
As the whole right side loses sound at times I suspect it isn't the speaker only but may have something to do with the stereo unit. Might also explain why the buzzing is intermittent.
Will post what the outcome is.
Old 30-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the number of folk who have had buzzing speakers - my wife included - it sounds like there's a problem with them from the get go.
I would suggest anyone who has a problem with them and can't get them to buzz at the dealers just mention the fact that it's a "recognised common problem" and see if that helps.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Quick update - forgot to do last week.

Ford reckon there is a problem with the tweeter & have ordered a replacement. Claim the intermittent cutting out caused by the speaker also. I have my doubts about that but will see what happens after the replacement.
Which reminds me...that was a week ago, thought the replacement would be here by now. Will have to chase them up.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Update:

After the chase up to Ford dealer they agreed to replace speaker on Sat morning 24th Oct. Looks like the speaker had turned up but nobody had bothered to contact me.

Anyway as expected replacing the speaker didn't solve the problem & in fact it has worsened with the channel cutting out more than ever. Assume this is a progressive deterioration of the suspect component.

Dealer has re booked the car in next Tuesday to have it looked at again! This time by someone who knows something about car audio (I hope).

This will be the fourth time this problem has been looked at, third time back specifically for this. Hopefully the last, but I'm not holding my breath!

Will report how it goes.
Old 13-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Further update.

Last trip back dealer said they would have to replace the head unit.

Just picked it up & will report if any further issues. Shouldn't be. Always suspected the unit itself, speakers wouldn't have an aversion to am radio only causing the chanel to drop out. But you never know.