Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #61
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What ever happened to the new features of the 90s?

I remember the fully digital dash in our '84 VK Calais...wonderful readout, plenty of information...but if you left it in the sun on a typical Queensland summer day, it could very well just be a black screen when you got back in, until it had cooled down inside a bit...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #62
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
And the new auto reverse park feature that turns the wheel so that an orangutan can parallel park a car. Good lord. Is this really necessary?.
Especially since you have to be able to do it to pass your driving exam...don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
Voice Notifications in my 83 Thunderbird
yes, but does it come with a bag for you head so you don't have the embarrassment of someone seeing you in it?

actually not a bad car, for an American styled 80s car.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #63
creative
I am Batman

My dad had one of the 4ws preludes and it was the first car i drove legally on my own.... Could i parallel park it? Could i chuff! Like other say, at low speed the wheels would turn in opposite directions, when you put lock on to swing the front in, the rear would turn out away from the kerb! Was comfy to drive at the time though!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #64
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm let me see, in car TVs, electronic suspension, falcons and foot rests(those were the days ).... I'd kill for an active suspension soarer! As long as don't need to fix it though....

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #65
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner View Post
I often wonder if the mechanical and design engineers get annoyed when Ford advertises its new cars and spend the whole 30 seconds raving on about it's stereo and Bluetooth capabilities.
Probably, but the reality is that most people buying new cars place handling and driving dynamics at the bottom of the list (if at all). Only 'car' people would place any credence on this.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #66
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What about carphones? I've noticed some older 90s luxury cars have them.

Do they still work on todays mobile networks?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #67
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

You can still buy proper phones that work on 3g / Digital. They mainly sell them to transport operators, but even then there's very few that fit them.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #68
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The GSM ones do and much to the annoyance of the do-gooder brigade they are perfectly legal to use while driving as they are an original component of the car.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #69
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 1982 Celica has an "oil change reminder"...in the photo it's the cylinder on the right hand side of the instrument binnacle with a set of three numbers changed by rotating a wheel to click it over to XXX "x 100".

I think it's actually just put there to make the instrument cluster symmetrical because on the other side is the control for the rear window wiper which it another cylinder that looks the same.
I don't really use it so I leave it set to "666" now...

Note: I pulled over on the highway in the middle of nowhere quickly and took this photo when it clicked over to 100,000km. The missus asked, puzzled, "Why are you bothering to take a picture of that?"

...must be a guy thing...

Another thing I just noticed the other night with the Celica is the drivers and passenger side footwell lighting, a soft greenish glow which comes on when you enter the car and, I think, stays on when you shut the door but goes out when you turn the ignition key. Nice touch.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 12-11-2012 at 11:33 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #70
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Note: I pulled over on the highway in the middle of nowhere quickly and took this photo when it clicked over to 100,000km. The missus asked, puzzled, "Why are you bothering to take a picture of that?"
I took a picture of my XR8 cluster at 99999, GF had the same reaction.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #71
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sleeper View Post
Hmm let me see, in car TVs, electronic suspension, falcons and foot rests(those were the days ).... I'd kill for an active suspension soarer! As long as don't need to fix it though....
yes i don`t think i`d touch a uz32 unless it was in pristine factory condition, even the ls400`s with air suspension and tems the shocks are 4k + for a set, makes you wonder how owners in commy will feel when the magnetic shocks need replacement as apparently they are big buks as well.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #72
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
yes i don`t think i`d touch a uz32 unless it was in pristine factory condition, even the ls400`s with air suspension and tems the shocks are 4k + for a set, makes you wonder how owners in commy will feel when the magnetic shocks need replacement as apparently they are big buks as well.
Commodore owners?
Hell, I have a crawl around under our G6E and see alloy suspension arms and other various electronics, not to mention plastic transmission pans and other easily-damaged bits, and I wonder what it would be like for some owner in five to ten years time...
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #73
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
The GSM ones do and much to the annoyance of the do-gooder brigade they are perfectly legal to use while driving as they are an original component of the car.
Interesting, I assume you would use a mobile phone simcard in these things and they would have an 04 number like a phone?

E32 7 series has car phone and the E38 has in car TV. Which I assume wont work anymore after the 2013 analog switch off.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #74
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting, I assume you would use a mobile phone simcard in these things and they would have an 04 number like a phone?

E32 7 series has car phone and the E38 has in car TV. Which I assume wont work anymore after the 2013 analog switch off.
I doubt it, I have a Melways from 1986 and it has an advertisement for a car phone (in an XF Falcon, complete with '80s business man ) and SIM cards would have been way beyond the scope of technology at the time. I don't know if they were GSM based phones but they were around.

Ok so SIM cards were invented in 1991, and were originally the size of a credit card. So that answers the question. I guess if you bought a 7 Series that's how it would work.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #75
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Commodore owners?
Hell, I have a crawl around under our G6E and see alloy suspension arms and other various electronics, not to mention plastic transmission pans and other easily-damaged bits, and I wonder what it would be like for some owner in five to ten years time...
someone a while ago priced or bought the alloy arms for an fg , they are still cheapish compared to many of the other brands, well i would`nt wan`t to buy them too often , but by comparison .....you know what i mean, but yep i get your drift.
the electronics is the part that scares me, i have an old ls400 that i`m fixing up, it`s a decent old car , but some of the gadgetys features that need a bit of attention/possible replacement are truly frightening in price,
it`s hard to imagine what all these cars full of electronics will be like in 20/30 years, just for an example these cars that need special electronic engine mounts that soften up during certain stages of the engines rev range to take the roughness out, you can sort of imagine what they will be like, electronic this and that, all these current cars with stepper motors and hard drives all over the place .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #76
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

What about the Fax machine in the 1988 HDT VL Calais LE... not sure of exact name.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #77
FPV-HSV
previously SMIKXR6

XF Ghia and LTD Fairlane etc Dash lighting at night and the digital dash are awesome so much effort compared to new cars.. even electric air vent's!

FE LTD interior!

3 Piece stereo's

They used to have about 10 lighters in them.. Waste of money!

VQ Caprice Velour ultra plush interior better then the new caprice!

Now majority of late model cars have no oil pressure gauge or volts etc..

Landau seats! Buckets in the rear!!

Now Holden and Ford have gone real basic and not much effort is going into the newer cars!!