Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
markxr6t

Default AU II XR8 Rough Idle Troubleshooting

Hi all

Have an AUII 200kw XR8 auto on dual fuel. Just last week I was thinking how beautifully smooth its idle was, particularly on gas. But now.... Heres my issue.
  • Starts fine. Rough idle, almost stalling, in all gears PRND
  • Rough idle on both petrol and gas
  • Stalls frequently when cold, just runs rough when warm but doesn't quite stall
  • Problem started after running low on gas. Was hard to start and poor idle began (May have backfired). Idle got better next time I drove it but has been permanently crap since.
  • Plugs are 10000km old platinum so I suspect they're fine

So the problem seems to have started after running low on gas and a possible backfire (or other one-off noise under the bonnet), but now effects petrol and gas.

Have just spent a couple hours searching so I know all the things it could be, but I just want to know the order I could check things in as I don't want to go buying new sensors if they're not the issue.

I also have an AU3 220 I could change out parts / sensors with if necessary.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

Last edited by markxr6t; 20-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
portokatsiki

Default Re: AU II XR8 Rough Idle Troubleshooting

If there was a backfire there would definitely be a vacuum leak somewhere. I would check the gas mixer for any leaks also the rubber hose going from the gas mixer to the throttle body and any other hoses connected to the gas mixer.
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Any major missing when cold? if so join the club...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11366152
Old 24-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
markxr6t

Problem solved! It was a vacuum leak - a small rubber pipe hooking into a plastic elbow directly behind the engine - part of the lpg setup I think. Plugged it back in and now she idles like a Lexus again (well, not quite but good enough)

My Manual Series III 220 misses on acceleration and farts and kicks when cold but once it warms up its fine. I can live with that.
Old 24-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
markxr6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by portokatsiki
If there was a backfire there would definitely be a vacuum leak somewhere. I would check the gas mixer for any leaks also the rubber hose going from the gas mixer to the throttle body and any other hoses connected to the gas mixer.
Thanks mate - now that I've re-read your post you were exactly correct with the rubber hose to the throttle body diagnosis Good on ya!