Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pity about the Revenue

Illuminating although hardly surprising .

http://www.motorists.org/press/monta...safety-paradox

Old 22-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pity about the Revenue

good article, and as you say not surprising, the statement
"The people of Montana and its visitors continued to drive at speeds they were comfortable with" is telling imo".
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

You also have an interaction between drivers refusing to change and obey new rules
versus those that do and in that instance, having very mixed opinions on a road system
is a recipe for disaster.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
05_ENFORCER

No one will ever win, we are talking politics here

Old 22-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

There is a lot of media panic currently over a new 85 mph speed limit in some very isolated parts of Texas. It's ridiculous.

Driver's education is atrocious in the US, but an empty, long, straight four-lane highway can easily support an 85 mph speed limit.
Old 22-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
There is a lot of media panic currently over a new 85 mph speed limit in some very isolated parts of Texas. It's ridiculous.

Driver's education is atrocious in the US, but an empty, long, straight four-lane highway can easily support an 85 mph speed limit.
When you get back the best way to fight this is turn the argument back on the media.

When Oprah or Letterman or whomever comes out with any anti 85MPH rhetoric the question is simple.

"Are you saying that Americans are not smart enough to drive at the same speed as Europeans?"

This is a no win for them; yes and they are denigrating "Mom, Apple Pie and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", no and they are contradicting themselves.

You are fortunate in your country that the vast majority are actually patriotic and believe that liberty and freedom are a right not a privilege.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
zilo
BANNED

The way i see it is with no speed limit the driver determines the best speed for his ability and the equipment in his hands.

When you post a speed limit of 85 mph there is then an obligation to drive at or around that speed limit whether you want to or not, and the implication is that it is always safe to do so...

There are often times where i have thought I would like to simply enjoy the music, take in the view and drive at 90km/h instead of the posted 100km/h limit.

But try it and watch everyone around you get annoyed because you are driving unduly slow...
"if the govt says its okay to do a 100km/h then you must do 100km/h...whats wrong with you?"

I like the idea of self imposed limits.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
JG34JA

Be careful Ugg, the idea that the individual can best make decisions for the individual runs very counter to how our society currently operates...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
When you get back the best way to fight this is turn the argument back on the media.

When Oprah or Letterman or whomever comes out with any anti 85MPH rhetoric the question is simple.

"Are you saying that Americans are not smart enough to drive at the same speed as Europeans?"

This is a no win for them; yes and they are denigrating "Mom, Apple Pie and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", no and they are contradicting themselves.

You are fortunate in your country that the vast majority are actually patriotic and believe that liberty and freedom are a right not a privilege.
The problem is that they would have no qualms about answering "Yes." (Well, maybe not Letterman—he owns a race team and he and Paul Newman used to have Volvo station wagons with supercharged Ford 5.0s in them.)

There is a rising tide of people here who think we need government to protect us from ourselves in every aspect of daily life.
Old 23-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
hillbillyhauler

Our goverment allready protects us from ourselves.
hillbillyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
=When Oprah or Letterman or whomever comes out with any anti 85MPH rhetoric the question is simple.

Well European drivers are a bit smarter than this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4JYc
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Said it before and I'll say it again, YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE AGAINST STUPID!

If people are going to drive outside their comfort zone then that's their own fault. Just because it's 85mph doesn't mean they have to drive at 85mph...
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic

At least you get "driver education".

All I got was I sat a 32 question multiple choice theory test to get my Ls.

Then I did 200 hours driving along a country highway with my parents.

Had some driving instructors teach me how to pass the test, then did the test in Sunbury which was drive around Sunbury for 50 minutes, did a 3 point turn in someones driveway and got my license.

The whole system sucks, they wonder why so many young drivers end up dead, its because you pick up all your parents bad habits, the instructors just teach how to pass the test, not actually drive and then you get let out on the road on your own, good luck.

I'm a fairly crappy driver, I try to avoid suburbia if I can, if I need to go into Melbourne I take public transport.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City, the speed limit is 80mph. The road is excellent.. Not like the Bruce Highway goat track!!!! Australia needs roads that are designed for higher speeds. But, our pollies think slow is good !!!
Old 23-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife is french, and she got her licence there. She was from the Jura area near Geneva and went with instructers that taught her how to correct from being sideways etc. One thing that I thought was pretty funny was that one of the first things she did with the instructer was to drive at 180km/h in a 130 zone on the autoroute, then brake hard as possible just to see how long it takes to brake!!
That does a few things, makes you think 180 maybe isnt so cool seeing as though your driving instructer and you did it on your learners!..., also, yes it does take a long time to brake.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I drove from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City, the speed limit is 80mph. The road is excellent.. Not like the Bruce Highway goat track!!!! Australia needs roads that are designed for higher speeds. But, our pollies think slow is good !!!

I drove from Miami to New York and was passed at 100mph+ by almost everyone on the road including the sherrif....(not in pursuit either)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

You guys need to get to the UK

70mph limit on the motorways but the police don't bug you till you clock 100mph

Admittedly, the English are much better drivers than we are in Oz.

Above opinion is based on 6 years living and driving there.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
I drove from Miami to New York and was passed at 100mph+ by almost everyone on the road including the sherrif....(not in pursuit either)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

I found the same in the states driving from LA to Vegas. We were cruising at 80-90mph along with everyone else and hitting 110mph when caught up in the fast lane, nearly 180kph. I believe the posted limit was 70mph. Even the missus who generally sits below the limit was shocked when I did the speed conversion for her, but she did say it feel natural. We passed plenty of cops and they only seemed to be pulling up the idiots weaving and going even faster, usually in an old **** bucket.

For the most part I think people are clever enough to drive to the conditions. Im no angel, but the same country roads at night with some music going, i have a peek at the speedo and im actually under the posted limit.

There will always be idiots out there. A road close by has been chopped back to 70kph because of fairly regular accidents. Its hilly and windy but not hard to drive in the slightest. However the crashes are all single vehicles coming unstuck. Last week a single woman in a people carrier in the ditch. I dont believe any number on a sign would have stopped her ending up in there, whether she was travelling to fast for the early morning conditions or just not concentrating.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Last edited by rancidpunx; 24-09-2012 at 07:08 AM.
rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

Yep they book you for dumb driving .. Like baulking traffic when changing lanes etc... Here it seems to be about speed..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post