Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Default Loud Pipes Save Lives

To use an old bikie (or motorcyclists) adage... "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

Here I am driving along, minding my own biz, coming out of a roundabout, I begin to accelerate to the speed limit, when a mid teen boy takes some quick steps and jumps out onto the road without looking.

All of a sudden he stops dead in his tracks, looks at me straight in the eyes.

Moments later I thought about why he stopped like that and it occurred to me my loud exhaust system on my 8 pretty much saved him from a serious injury.

My loud pipes caught his attention. (Maybe the drone, quite annoying really.)

That is the closest I have come to hitting a pedestrian in 22 years of driving and to think my loud pipes prevented a serious accident!

To that boy, if you were my son I would teach you how to cross the road without fiddling with an electronic gadget.

To the nannies, that's one possible life saving statistic that won't grace any pages of the ABS website, reports or data.

Thought I'd share that with y'all and I hope to hear about some similar stories back.

Last edited by ThaFlash; 08-09-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Typo...
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Loud Pipes Save Lives

I always find it amusing when bikers drive by on black bikes wearing black clothes with an exhaust that makes your ears bleed but out a half loud exhaust in your car and it's straight to regency for your defect
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And there was me thinking bikies were just ******* but there doing their civic duty .
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

derp..

Last edited by pottery beige; 09-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah my pipes have saved me a few times. Even the 'situational awareness' factor for other drivers when they hear you before they see you makes them worth it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

And i'm assuming you didn't look for pedestrians about to step out before you put your foot down?

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
And i'm assuming you didn't look for pedestrians about to step out before you put your foot down?
...... of course was waiting for someone to say this. DO NOT ASSUME.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
where i live.. salisbury tough guys step out, casually stroll and stare you down..

line them up and pin it.. they aint so tough...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We see more and more people simply not paying attention when crossing. I was in a shopping centre yesterday approaching a crossing and a couple crossed at the crossing, but walked out without checking and only when he was more than halfway across did the guy actually realise I was there. A little further on a man pushing his child in a stroller - walked out without even looking for traffic. They can drop speed limits to walking pace (I'd prefer they didn't) and this crap will keep on happening and people will get hit.

I see similar on the roads (not at crossings) - people step out onto the road and start walking across, but don't monitor the traffic and have this attitude that the traffic can just stop for them. If you *dare* honk or rev at them, you get a torrent of abuse or a hand gesture.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a pushbike cut in front of me the other day. Same thing not looking with the ipod on full.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

there is always one......
of course it was the car drivers fault, always is hey?

I can see how loud pipes make stupid pedestrians notice your car more.
But there are types of people who look at your car coming down the street, then walk slowly onto the road expecting you to slow down.
They are normally a male in there late teens or early 20's with a phone up to their ear, usually happens on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday nights.
I wouldn't care if they get hit. They need to learn their lesson somehow.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

As tempting as it is to say/do otherwise;

Its the motorists responsibility to lookout for dumbarse peds.

Loud pipes are only there for the coolness factor........
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
westoftown

13 year old kid got pinned under a car the other day around the corner from my place. The story goes he was just riding his bike to school listening to his ipod, didnt look as he crossed the road, it just so happens he rode out into the path of an oncoming car.

Lesson learnt kiddo.

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Not that I agree with it, but in the eyes of the law if you hit a pedestrian you are at fault.

I did hear that there has been a crackdown on pedestrian offences in Sydney like the jaywalking which is great. You see it all the time people stepping onto & walking on the road in their on little world without regards for cars.

I had two examples just today..

I went up to Mt Panorama for a cruise & there heaps of people walking around the track (whick I dont have a problem) & most of them were walking on the grass verge or very edge of the road, but then you come around a blind corner (The Cutting) & theres a bunch of people up to 3 wide in the middle of the road , & another car comming down the hill. So I had no where to go, I gave them the horn to get off the road & I got the evils like I was driving on a footpath.

Then on the way home I was driving down a narrow sububan street so I was doing less than 40kph, when an old lady opened her gate & let her dogs run onto the road in front of me.

In both occasions it was people not thinking about what they were doing & it goes to show why we must be so carefull on the roads, because you have to think for every muppet on the road that doesnt.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
wadexr583

Hmmm wish I could say I agree with loud pipes save lives. Not 2 weeks ago I was sitting astride my stain tune equipped Ducati monster. Now it's not quite straight through pipe loud but anyone who's heard a Ducati with nice pipes knows how nice they can be. And mine is.

Anyway there I was sitting next to a middle aged duck in some beat up 40 yr old Toyota. Looked like a nicely spoken lady actually. Husband sitting in passenger seat. Lights turn green and away we go. 200 meters later she indicates and merges right into me ( I'm still alongside and have been since the red light). Now call it gut instinct or my complete lack of faith in everyone on the road but I just knew what was going to happen. Wish I could predict lottery the same way huh.

Incredibly after she had merged and checked her mirror she got the fright of her life when she saw me. And husband whipped around in horror too.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you have loud pipes, Fluro suits or neon flashing signs above you. Natural selection is a thing of the past and they walk/drive amongst us all.

Wade
wadexr583 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
where i live.. salisbury tough guys step out, casually stroll and stare you down..

line them up and pin it.. they aint so tough...
so true, northern suburb gugs think they own the road wether their in a vehicle or not
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Loud pipes would make me look, but I like cars.

Plenty of people who ignore them / don't care.

I've watched people walk out in front of cars in the CBD while listening to their iPods, phones etc completly oblivious to what's going on around them.

Saw a lady near Roma Street nearly got run down because she was texting and looked up at the very last second... what's so boring with reality you need to block it out 24/7?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

I used to have a loud cammed V8, not the sort of car you could not hear but I'd still get idiots walking out in front of me all the time. People are either just too stupid or just dont care enough to pay attention, survival of the fittest has failed us.

Last edited by flappist; 10-09-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: do not circumvent the swear filter, it will bite you
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

I can see how loud pipes make stupid pedestrians notice your car more.
But there are types of people who look at your car coming down the street, then walk slowly onto the road expecting you to slow down.
They are normally a male in there late teens or early 20's with a phone up to their ear, usually happens on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday nights.
I wouldn't care if they get hit. They need to learn their lesson somehow.
Good coment Ben .. My work station is next door to the local High School. Every day we wait for the thump followed by a phone call. These brain dead kids walk straight out in front of trafic without even thinking about what will happen. I've had a group step out in front of the vehicle with lights flashing and sirens howling .... errr dude ... who cares ... yoooohh.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive heard there have been several people hit in carparks by hybrids as they simply dont hear them. Even worse i guess with ipods and similar blaring in the ears...
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #21
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw this mentioned once in passing in this thread. Every vehicle registered for public road use has to have a warning device (horn) fitted and working. Fellow members, do not rely on your exhaust to warn pedestrians. You have one (or 2 or more) of these things fitted, lean on them. Personally, I would rather use them than have some ignorant dill fall on my bonnet or go under my wheels. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice sounding exhaust but they are not a warning device and people are getting used to loud exhausts so ignore them.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #22
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee
....People are either just too stupid or just dont care enough to pay attention, survival of the fittest has failed us...
Well the pollies are sure as hell trying to legislate the stupid out of them... hasn't worked thus far, just created better idiots
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am a bike rider and own quite a few bikes but it really upsets me at harleys that are offensivley loud.a stock harley is that quiet you can hardly hear it so instead of defecting cars they should start defecting all these junk heaps that make your ears bleed.dont get me wrong a harley with nice pipes sounds great but i hate the ones that go over the top.i wonder how many harleys on the road are actually legal?
i think the legal sound db for cars and bikes is a little quiet and they should be aloud to be a bit louder but i also think you can actually go to far in any vehicle car or bike.

Last edited by flappist; 10-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old subaru 'ugly ducking' (leone) wouldn't have been loud even without an exhaust, but i didn't need it since it had bad CV joints. anyone crossed the road in front of me i'd give a bit of accelerator and the CVs would rattle like god's fart and send the pedestrians to scatter like pigeons.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The swear filter is there for a reason. Do not try to circumvent it unless you would like a warning.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post