Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Victoria - Even more nanny state? Road safety strategy survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
You for real? Drive in Sydney and there are cameras at every 2nd intersection and straight length of road. At least in SA you can nail it past a truck at over 25km/h the limit and not risk lose license like in nazi victoria.
Dude, look at where I'm from.....

In and around the Adelaide CBD I'm talking about. I felt like there were much more cameras for the area compared to Sydney. Lower limits as well, some Inner city streets were 40.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
A lot of people with a lot to say, how many have completed the survey? One I am guessing.

This is your chance to whinge to the people who make the policy

What I see here is a Government truly concerned about road deaths and trying every conceivable way to get the answers. (and I am a Labor voter)

So instead of p!ssing and moaning on here, give them some real feedback about your views on how to save your mates life

Persoanlly I like the 140 km/h thing, I have been a promoter of that concept for years, plus the more things that they can do to cars to make them safer is always a better option, as a former advanced / defensive driver trainer, training will only go so far, the person who is being trained has to take on board the information given and then implement it, too many variables for real big change.

I have seen first hand some of the safety technology available on European cars and we need to enforce those changes on to all cars.

This process is like managing OHS (which I also used to do), take to person out of the picture as they are the variable and then focus on making the machine safer.
I did it Trev and I don't even live in Victoria!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
A lot of people with a lot to say, how many have completed the survey? One I am guessing.

This is your chance to whinge to the people who make the policy

What I see here is a Government truly concerned about road deaths and trying every conceivable way to get the answers. (and I am a Labor voter)

So instead of p!ssing and moaning on here, give them some real feedback about your views on how to save your mates life

Truly concerned about road deaths????? YES ... everyone is concerned about it but the ONLY REASON they show the concern they do is because, on the back of it, they can make a damn good income from it.

If there was not a dollar to made it would be stuck in the too hard, too expensive to fix basket like everything else. There are so many sucked in by it, it truly is astounding.

If it actually COST Billions to show a concern ...... you seriously believe they would be showing this concern? To say yes would be truly delusional. Win win for the g'ment and lets those that love toeing this line have a continual p!ssing and moaning on here session. Goes both ways but I am sure that most here have more than had enough of the crap as well.

And yes I like most here filled it out I would say .......

SORRY ....... bit political but to topic. Just am fed up with what is happening as everything that is introduced as a 'fix' funnily enough just happens to add bucket loads more to the revenue .....

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 06-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/vi...906-25ge5.html

Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #35
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Filled out the survey. Stupid preface to each question invalidates the actual results as it makes it a leading question. Whoever wrote the survey should be flogged for making it a propaganda tool, not an actual useful survey with useable results.
As an example of leading questions:
98% of politicans have a law degree. Lawyers are trained in twisting an argument to suit their own purposes, rather than actually express the truth.
Should lawyers be banned from becoming politicians
a) Yes
b) No.

The results are meaningless.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #36
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Tassie is going to be a test bed for a national 90khp limit.
http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/media_...to_save_lives2

http://blogs.abc.net.au/tasmania/201...-changes-.html

http://www.saferroads.tas.gov.au/

Its coming guys. Better get used to it. Or move to the NT.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #37
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Tassie is going to be a test bed for a national 90khp limit.
Last time I drove in Tasmania I found there was no signage or speed advisorys on bends (like e.g. NSW). You'd be driving at a zoned 100 through a forest and suddenly there'd be a severe blind curve so you end up driving slower because you don't know what's ahead. They need to clean up their act before preaching.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #38
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

if the tac's scare campaign & revenue raising were working, then vic road toll would not be higher atm than it was at the same time last year.

the TAC is still in strife over the insulting speed ad that shows a biker being killed by a car disobeying a stop sign - but its the bikers fault!

the moron who wants front plates is the guy in charge of speed cameras. He dismissed all the current research against front plates as "not valid" - purely because it doesnt support his stance. It is purely so the bike cannot escape a fine.
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #39
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's an interesting British web page - all sounds uncannily familar. Worth reading right through:

http://citytransport.info/Frame.htm

Click on the link "Speed" at the bottom right-hand corner of the track diagram and then click the link at the bottom of the preface page.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #40
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
They were talking about speed limiting new cars to 140km/h max if they are to be sold in Victoria.
All this will achieve is shutting down every new car dealer in Victoria . I can see the super yards at Albury and other border towns already .
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #41
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Last time I drove in Tasmania I found there was no signage or speed advisorys on bends (like e.g. NSW). You'd be driving at a zoned 100 through a forest and suddenly there'd be a severe blind curve so you end up driving slower because you don't know what's ahead. They need to clean up their act before preaching.
You need to learn how to read how fast you can go around a corner before you enter it!
This is the problem with the drivers these days - they don't know how to read the road and drive to the conditions. You can't have a speed advisory sign on every corner over here, so you adjust your driving style to suit.
What you are saying is that someone else needs to tell you how fast to go around a certain corner, which perpetuates the problem of the nanny state.
The other problem with that thinking is that when you have ice on the roads, any speed is too fast
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
You need to learn how to read how fast you can go around a corner before you enter it!
Mmm yes, that'd be right, after 40 years I still don't know how to go around a corner.

I'm talking about signage that indicates a corner is there at all in blind situations.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #43
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yes , let`s see which car maker will be first to commit sipaku by doing that, who would buy one?
I would.
In the last 20 years I have not felt the need to go higher than 140 in Vic (or any other Eastern state), with the only exception being Easternats.

Quote:
Had my say, feel good for venting but know nothing will come of it.
Quote:
I see people covering their backsides.

Quote:
Persoanlly I like the 140 km/h thing, I have been a promoter of that concept for years, plus the more things that they can do to cars to make them safer is always a better option, as a former advanced / defensive driver trainer, training will only go so far, the person who is being trained has to take on board the information given and then implement it, too many variables for real big change.
Agree with speed but disagree with 'cars being safer' as this makes the average driver pass the responsibility onto the car from themselves. Next, cars will be clamed for accidents, injuries and fatalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton
Nothing good will come of it - mark my words.
Yeah I know, but got to do it anyway.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #44
zilo
BANNED

The last question shows the main revenue objective...

"Would you like to be emailed when other Justice related surveys are held?"
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #45
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mmm yes, that'd be right, after 40 years I still don't know how to go around a corner.

I'm talking about signage that indicates a corner is there at all in blind situations.
If it's blind, approach it at a speed you know how to go around it

40 years driving means nothing. Every week during summer we see tourists who have never gone around a corner without a warning sign and end up in the bush.
Why do you want the nanny state to tell you that the next corner might be dangerous, or that it might have ice on it, or there could be moss on it, or there could be a roo on the orad, or a tree over it, or.....
If you can't see around the corner, slow down so you can safely get around it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #46
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I put my two bobs in here -
http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...ic_Gestapo.htm
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #47
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You not there is no section for "what ideas do you have" as they are not interested in anything except money.
"Submissions
Submissions can be emailed to roadsafetystrategy@roads.vic.gov.au "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
They were talking about speed limiting new cars to 140km/h max if they are to be sold in Victoria.
What's the point of that, since no one's allowed to go 139km/h. I'd carry a 110km/h limiter if i was exempted from speeding fines in a 110 zone (because they aren't 100% accurate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960
introducing a curfew for young drivers? that's just outrageous.
and that makes them a safer driver how?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #48
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
If it's blind, approach it at a speed you know how to go around it
Oh for goodness sake, don't tell me how to drive. On your logic painted lane lines on the road would be "nannying" too. I'm saying that when I was there (about 6 years ago) Tasmania doesn't have enough of the basic signage that any good road system should have, signage that helps road safety by guiding the less experienced or those unfamiliar with areas.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #49
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh for goodness sake, don't tell me how to drive. On your logic painted lane lines on the road would be "nannying" too. I'm saying that when I was there (about 6 years ago) Tasmania doesn't have enough of the basic signage that any good road system should have, signage that helps road safety by guiding the less experienced or those unfamiliar with areas.
You don't want me to tell you how to drive, but you want a sign that does?
How about if we put a up a sign at entry points to Tasmania saying "If you are not from here, and can't assess the roads with your own eyes, please use a bus".
There would not be enough steel poles in production to put up an advisory sign for every difficult corner, for every bit of road affected by adverse conditions, or ones that are just unsafe. Therefore the responsibility comes back to the driver. This is where I think the fundamental problem of modern road safety lies. You think the state should tell you how fast, how dangerous, whether there is a dip in the road, or to look out for ducks crossing. This leads to an overly restrictive regime with harsh penalties for disobeying a sign (see speeding penalties). This has a global result in dimming the collective ability to be able to modulate their driving according to the conditions, hence why we see people like you crashing every week down here.
I prefer personal responsibility for my driving, rather than a dumbing down of everyone.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #50
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll leave the unproductive Tasmanian conversation with the observation that at one point I slowed down at a blind, uncontrolled level crossing to check for trains and I was overtaken on the crossing by a local at high speed who wouldn't have had the the time to look either left or right for trains. What's the numberplate slogan for Tasmania - the gambling state?

Crashing? I haven't had an accident in 40 years in about a million km of driving all round Australia, the US and Europe. Go wind somebody else up!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #51
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did the survey, I do feel showing your hand at the start (nominating your driving status ie cyclist, motorcyclist etc) will effect the way they look the results. The 140 speed limt and drink/drug driving are good issues to look at but the hi vis vest and the such is rubbish. Will I ever ride in a hi vis? No F%^kn way!
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #52
Kryton

Quote:
You do realise that tests have been done in cities in other countries where ALL road signs and markings were removed.
Guess what the outcome was........
ZERO accidents.
Now think about why that is.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #53
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll leave the unproductive Tasmanian conversation with the observation that at one point I slowed down at a blind, uncontrolled level crossing to check for trains and I was overtaken on the crossing by a local at high speed who wouldn't have had the the time to look either left or right for trains. What's the numberplate slogan for Tasmania - the gambling state?

Crashing? I haven't had an accident in 40 years in about a million km of driving all round Australia, the US and Europe. Go wind somebody else up!
I thought the discussion point of the thread was about Vic being a nanny state, and using biased surveys to promote their agenda. You provided a good example of people who want the nanny state to tell them how to drive on a road. That is not unproductive discussion, it is just a difference of opinion.

As for the rial line - that had me crack up. Local knowledge would help, but we have many rail crossing for a line that does not have any trains running on it. You just made yourself a mobile roadblock, hence why you were overtaken at speed.

The number plate slogan - it is "Tasmania - Your natural state". I don't know what your gambling reference is to.

As for not crashing in 40 years - good on you. I know lots of really old people who say exactly the same thing.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 08-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #54
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of points in response. The rail line I crossed in Tasmania was a main line in use by freight. If a rail crossing is signposted there is a legal requirement to drive as though the line is live. If it's no longer live the rail and road authorities will remove the controls. Only then can you speed across it without looking.

Secondly, I currently spend a lot of my time driving on narrow rural roads with no centre line and mostly no curve or speed advisorys. An advisory is not nannying, it's just helpful. I know that road accidents don't increase without advisory signs, they also don't increase with them.

Nannying, this thread, is about compulsion, not being advisory.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
malazn mafia
Boss 335

What if somebody mischievously created a convincing looking speed limit sign that said 130 and stuck that over the front of the originals. Would the average driver be then allowed to drive at said 'speed limit'?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post