Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
mcnamg

Default Ford Edge going to Europe and getting RHD

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/06/f...d-by-ecosport/

Quote:
As part of Ford's a big European product rollout, the automaker announced that the Edge crossover will make its way across The Pond in the near future.

Hot on the heels of the Mustang announcement, Ford has stated that the Edge and all-new EcoSport crossovers will make their way to Europe. While you may be quite familiar with the Edge, the EcoSport is a compact crossover, first sold in Latin America. It has already been announced that the Fiesta-based SUV would be sold in India, and now it appears that it will come to Europe as well.

The EcoSport will slot in below the B-platform Ford Kuga (sister crossover to the Escape), which will enter the market first. The EcoSport will come within 18 months, and finally, the Edge will arrive as a "larger, more premium crossover."

According to Jim Farely, VP of global marketing at Ford, "The expanding European SUV market is a unique opportunity for Ford and lands right in our sweet spot." He went on to boast that "No other company can touch Ford's expertise, global portfolio and credibility when it comes to SUVs."

For more on the new European onslaught of Ford products, check out the press release below.
If ford decides not to continue Territory and Falcon production post 2016 I wonder if this would be what Ford is considering to replace the Territory

mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
a_misfit

Default Re: Ford Edge going to Europe and getting RHD

The edge is good looking car, and everytime I see one over here I wish they had it in Aus. I'd get one as soon as I get back. I reckon there is enough differentiation as well to maintain Tezza, edge, escape/kuga. Be similar to Prado, Kluga, Rav4 mix for toyota.

Price point would be interesting though. At 28K starting price in the states, it would be a little scary to see what it would land in Australia at.
a_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The Edge is a great looking car, but I don't think it could replace Territory for 2 simple reasons:

1) no diesel
2) no third row seating.

That said, I can see the demand for it in our region.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Being part of one Ford should enable Ford Australia to have access to Kuga, Edge, Everest and either Territory or Explorer
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Surely the next Edge (too late in the cycle to do the current one) will be based on the Mondeo/Fusion, so it makes sense that it would be sold in Europe. It could be built in the same plant, but if SUV sales numbers stay low importing from the US is probably a reasonable option.

They would want to lose a bit of weight from the current model however! I agree with Road Warrior about the 3rd row - surely anyone looking at a bigger SUV than the Escape/Kuga wants that. Many of the same size SUV's offer that in other markets, eg Rav4, while the US demands a near full-size 3rd row. The overlap between the Edge and Explorer works in the US due to the size of the market.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

The next platform that Edge will be based (CD4.2) will be able to cater for 3rd row seating, it will be a marketing decision as to whether the next Edge has a 3rd row though.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Being part of one Ford should enable Ford Australia to have access to Kuga, Edge, Everest and either Territory or Explorer
My cash will be on the Explorer coming back to Oz.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
My cash will be on the Explorer coming back to Oz.
And hopefully, global markets as well with that beautiful 3.0 V6 TCDI.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
The next platform that Edge will be based (CD4.2) will be able to cater for 3rd row seating, it will be a marketing decision as to whether the next Edge has a 3rd row though.
It would seem it is then getting dangerously close to Explorer size...could be a bit of product overlap issues there unless the next gen Exploder is going to increase in size again (or Ford get clever and simply call the 3rd-row seating variant of CD4.2 the Explorer and restrict the 2-row seater as the Edge)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

When it comes to SUV's it appears people in this market like them the bigger the better..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
It would seem it is then getting dangerously close to Explorer size...could be a bit of product overlap issues there unless the next gen Exploder is going to increase in size again (or Ford get clever and simply call the 3rd-row seating variant of CD4.2 the Explorer and restrict the 2-row seater as the Edge)
C-Max is basically same length/width as Territory, so if a three row version of Edge was contemplated,
maybe it would work but maybe an SUV version with different roof line like Galaxy as an SUV would suit better..

That would make Edge crosover, Territory replacement based on Galaxy, and possibly new Mondeo...three CD4 products.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That now makes 2 USA only models that Ford has announced will now be RHD & Europe bound. Have they said where these cars will be made? Surly the USA can't build for the USA & Europe? I’m not suggesting Australia could build for Europe, but Australia has got to figure in all this somehow? Hopefully in a positive way?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That now makes 2 USA only models that Ford has announced will now be RHD & Europe bound. Have they said where these cars will be made? Surly the USA can't build for the USA & Europe? I’m not suggesting Australia could build for Europe, but Australia has got to figure in all this somehow? Hopefully in a positive way?
I think they have the capacity in the US for this, and they will happily slit the throat of Falcon and Territory to boost US jobs and keep their plants humming along.

They couldn't care less about Australian production. All these new RHD products are just one way of being able to supply similar products to what we build here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Then that would basically be also the platform that the Explorer would be built off of.

It's seems One Ford doesn't apply to the home market.

In other news, look what these cretins are saying in the comments section about this very subject: http://www.caradvice.com.au/190018/f...ord-territory/
Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Buntz, if ford continue with their current idea of keeping the Taurus/explorer on the same platform, then the next explorer will be on CD4.3, along with some Lincoln sedans (MKS) and SUV.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Buntz, if ford continue with their current idea of keeping the Taurus/explorer on the same platform, then the next explorer will be on CD4.3, along with some Lincoln sedans (MKS) and SUV.
I thought those platforms were getting shelved in favour of a stretched Fusion/Mondeo platform and crossover/suv variants?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that what they are, CD4.2 and CD4.3 are variations of fusion/Mondeo (CD4.1)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well that what they are, CD4.2 and CD4.3 are variations of fusion/Mondeo (CD4.1)
So, Edge is the crossover and Explorer would be the SUV. If Ford NA is going ahead with this,
then obviously, there is enough differentiation between Edge and Explorer to exist side by side.
Funny how FoA sees Edge as too close to Territory, that's like comparing a CX-7 to an SUV...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Wow. I prefer our simpler platforms. At the very least in name.

Quote:
So, Edge is the crossover and Explorer would be the SUV. If Ford NA is going ahead with this,
then obviously, there is enough differentiation between Edge and Explorer to exist side by side.
Funny how FoA sees Edge as too close to Territory, that's like comparing a CX-7 to an SUV...
Territory would be far more accepted by European customers. But it's far simpler, and cheaper I suppose to ship across the Atlantic, than from the Indian, and up both Atlantic's.

Even Falcon lives, Territory probably won't.

Last edited by Buntz; 08-09-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Have you even driven any of their vehicles?
I got about 5,000 km seat time in an Edge a few years back, impresive performance and economy,
It gave better consumption than my wife's CX-7 2.5, i wish I could have bought one here.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Have you even driven any of their vehicles?
I got about 5,000 km seat time in an Edge a few years back, impresive performance and economy,
It gave better consumption than my wife's CX-7 2.5, i wish I could have bought one here.
I only meant for the lack of complexity.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Territory would be far more accepted by European customers. But it's far simpler, and cheaper I suppose to ship across the Atlantic, than from the Indian, and up both Atlantic's.

Even Falcon lives, Territory probably won't.
They will build Edge at Genk alongside its CD4 brothers, Mondeo, S-max and Galaxy.

Falcon cannot survive without Territory, they are joined at the hip.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I only meant for the lack of complexity.
Every vehicle is complex, Territory and Falcon deceptively so...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #24
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
They will build Edge at Genk alongside its CD4 brothers, Mondeo, S-max and Galaxy.
Somehow got the impression they'd be shipping it over. hmmm
Quote:
Falcon cannot survive without Territory, they are joined at the hip.
Maybe... or they could invest in it becoming a shared product with another RWD car with 4's 6's and 8's. But we will leave it there.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Actually I had a brain aneurism, can only see evidence of 2nd row for 4.2

Sorry