Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Marky89

Default Buying a pool

Atm i dont have a house or anything, but am already saving for it. Just wanted to ask around to see if anyone has purchased a pool recently, and how much it actually cost with what size.
I know it all varys on certain types of land and type of access and stuff. But all that aside, just after an average price for them.

I am looking at a concrete pool, hopefully 10x5 or bigger.

Marky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying a pool

We looked into this a while back and unless you can do a fair amount of the landscaping / fencing etc yourself, then you would want to have access to at least 40 - 50k available.
Fibreglass would cost less and be up and runing with less disruption.

If you havent bought yet, then buying a house with an existing pool would probably be a better idea. Search for houses on the Domain.com website and enter "inground pool" in the search parameters to find existing homes with pools.

A couple of things I would consider, how old are your kids will they get at least 10 years plus enjoyment out of the pool? When they turn 18 they will not want to know about the pool except for the occassional weekend.
How far from the beach are you? Hard to justify the cost of a pool if you could be at the beach in under 30 mins.
Lastly dont forget the ongoing costs, electricity, pumps, maintanence, etc.

The upside is younger kids love the pool, you will know where your kids are and where the neighbourhood kids are as they gravitate to your pool during summer. A BBQ on a hot summers night and a swim in your pool wouldnt be to hard to take...
With all that if you still want a pool then go for it but its not a decision that you should take lightly.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

The only advice I can give is to butter up your mates, get them around with the promise of beer and food and get them to do the digging/dirt removal. A mate of mine did it and it saved him a bit of excavating costs.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going the el'cheapo option and sinking a $3999 above ground pool. We've done it before and the pool is still going strong over 20 years later.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

You can have mine , know one uses it here anymore. BYO crane though........
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Marky89

It's more for me and the missus just to kick back in. I'd do the landscaping myself and fence also. I was looking at around 50k or more just for the
Pool. But not sure what that would get me. wouldn't mind making it an indoor pool also.
Marky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I'm going the el'cheapo option and sinking a $3999 above ground pool. We've done it before and the pool is still going strong over 20 years later.
Absolutely.
My dad and I dug out enough dirt to render my weekends useless between the ages of 13-15, the teenager with no social life because of the damn hole out the back.
Pool turned out awesome though.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post