Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #31
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Default Re: Dealers advertising on Carsales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
Location Victoria just doesn't cut it does it? especially when you have already asked for it in your primary search. I would hazard a guess the LMCT has been omitted because ,like others, I look for the dealers in my area and know their numbers or search their origin, now the dealer is out ?? dollars for those that call or email the carsales numbers.
Works for carsales but I bet the dealers had no say in it.
GT450
As I said before, that is no excuse. If you want to look for dealers in your area, thats easy, limit your search to a 10k radius of your postcode. that is why that search function is there.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #32
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
gurantee you LMCT is there, on all of them - it's the law.
hint - look at the foot
Right you are, I thought they were gone too.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #33
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry GTpilot they are ( LMCTs) at the very bottom in the footer now and not as obvious as they previously . Still think it's done for their ( carsales ) advantage. Have to admit I wouldn't bother emailing or calling through carsales , just see which LMCT has the vehicle I may be interested in and call direct.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Trust me if most dealers could get rid of carsales they would. Carsales has hurt the industry alot, dealers advertising cars gutsed to the last dollar being the main reason, some of which they can't even supply or don't even have in stock! The cost of it is huge when you consider the amount of enquirers you get on it that equate to nothing... As for purchasers on the other hand its made it very easy for us to find the car we want for the best price possible, and hey if one dealer can do it for that price, so can someone else.

And for the record it use to be $50 per hit, not sure how much it is these days but you only have to get 20 a week and there's a grand..... Some dealers would be getting 20 a day!!!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Does anybody else get sick of reading the same dealer spiel when looking at Carsales? Don't know if it just me or not but I am more interested in reading about what the car has instead of how long the dealer has been in business. It seems to be the same old spiel on every vehicle I look at.
Can you please tell me what you would like to see on carsales, give us an example on what would attract you when reading about a certain vehicle. A lot of the info is pre loaded by carsales and the dealer can obviosuly put their little blurb at the end of the ad.

- Would you just rather see nothing at all?
- Additional options only? (carsales do not list other factory options unless the dealer does, example 3rd row seats, sat nav, luxury pack, etc)

I'm interested to know
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Can you please tell me what you would like to see on carsales, give us an example on what would attract you when reading about a certain vehicle. A lot of the info is pre loaded by carsales and the dealer can obviosuly put their little blurb at the end of the ad.

- Additional options only? (carsales do not list other factory options unless the dealer does, example 3rd row seats, sat nav, luxury pack, etc)

I'm interested to know
Does carsales give you the option of uploading your own pics?

The thing that annoys me the most is ads with the wrong car... E.g. search Territory SZ Limited Edition, all the pics show is a TX.....

On the other hand some XR's show them being fitted with Luxury back, when infact they aren't. If i was a dealer I would want to upload my own pics and try and portray the cars I am selling, not some 2 year old file photo carsales has in the database.

As for the descriptions well who really cares, providing they give some insight to the car, especially used ones... e.g what is fitted to it. So many used ads with very little description.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So... If anyone gets screwed over by a car dealer you could get your revenge by carsales enquiry bombing them??
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in theory, but I would imagine if that happened the Dealership would be able to tell their Account Manager at carsales and get some rebate for a string on nuisance emails
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #39
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:

I'm interested to know
Ill use this ad as it is a car I am looking at buying.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...o=Stock&items=[BaseEnabledBadge:SR]&sort=~Price

Ok, if it was me writing the ad and I wanted to attract a buyer for this car, I'd be writing something along the lines of:

This is a one owner Toyota Hilux in excellent condition with a full service history. We have completed a full inspection on the vehicle with no issues found, tyres are xx% and the xxx km service has been carried out. Balance of new car warranty applies to this vehicle which would continue until 31/12/12. We are located approximately 200kms west of Sydney, xxxx kms North of Melbourne etc bla bla bla. Now none of that info may be right (yet to find out) but that would make me a hell of a lot more interested in the car because it actually answers some of the questions I would ask through the enquiry form. So dealers, if you are sick of tyre kickers filling out the form, why not tell us what we actually want to know about the car - that way we wouldn't have to fill out an enquiry unless we were actually genuinely keen on buying it.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

The thing that annoys me the most is ads with the wrong car... E.g. search Territory SZ Limited Edition, all the pics show is a TX.....

On the other hand some XR's show them being fitted with Luxury back, when infact they aren't. If i was a dealer I would want to upload my own pics and try and portray the cars I am selling, not some 2 year old file photo carsales has in the database.

As for the descriptions well who really cares, providing they give some insight to the car, especially used ones... e.g what is fitted to it. So many used ads with very little description.
That's the only thing that annoy's me aswell, not the actuall vehicle that is for sale in the pic's,
Today I searched for a LW Titanium Focus with sports pack and only two were available but the pic's were of vehicles without the sports pack.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #41
nstg8a

i think a lot of it is just pure laziness on the car yards side, not necessarily carsales fault.

theres nothing to stop each yard doing a unique description for each ad but many just put the same old generic dribble in like your hilux ad example.

quite frankly if the yard is too lazy to put a decent description on it then they can cop the enquiry costs for pointless questions as far im concerned.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #42
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I think its amazing used dealers still exist. It would have to be impossibly perfect in every facet to justify me looking at it.

Ebay dealer ads are even worse. A lot of the time they dont even provide simplistic information on cars, like its odometer reading, transmission, engine. Usually with some generic external shot of the car.

It shouldnt matter how expensive it is to list, how much turnover they want, how lazy they are or any other darn excuse.
Theyre in the business of selling cars, so they should do it properly or GTFO.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #43
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Ill use this ad as it is a car I am looking at buying.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...o=Stock&items=[BaseEnabledBadge:SR]&sort=~Price

Ok, if it was me writing the ad and I wanted to attract a buyer for this car, I'd be writing something along the lines of:

This is a one owner Toyota Hilux in excellent condition with a full service history. We have completed a full inspection on the vehicle with no issues found, tyres are xx% and the xxx km service has been carried out. Balance of new car warranty applies to this vehicle which would continue until 31/12/12. We are located approximately 200kms west of Sydney, xxxx kms North of Melbourne etc bla bla bla. Now none of that info may be right (yet to find out) but that would make me a hell of a lot more interested in the car because it actually answers some of the questions I would ask through the enquiry form. So dealers, if you are sick of tyre kickers filling out the form, why not tell us what we actually want to know about the car - that way we wouldn't have to fill out an enquiry unless we were actually genuinely keen on buying it.
Ahh I see, sorry I was thinking you were looking at a new vehicle, not used. If it is a used vehicle I totally agree with you, the more info on the actual vehicle the better response you will have, just like if I was selling my car privately online.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #44
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

For new vehicles, the pictures will run off a library, unless it is a demo, then we have photos taken of the vehicle. If we have a vehicle (espcially FPV) that has different coloured stripes etc we get carsales to take a photo on that vehicle so it is true to the description.

I agree with you and it annoys me as well when I see the wrong picture against a vehicle.

The technical reason why this happens is because the photos run off a "model code" in the dealers system which talks to carsales. With a limited edition etc they run off a normal model code with a small "option" code against it eg an XR limited is a 18235HA with option 2K. The 2K doesn't get taken into account, hence a plain XR picture which is actually a limted.

Hope this helps a little on understanding how it all works.

You could always do the old fashioned thing and go and talk to a dealer face to face and see the car in person ;)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #45
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Yeah the generic image thing can certainly confuse people. When I found my car, the dealer did mention that it had luxury pack. The pictures showed plain old interior and the 18 inch rims. If I didn't know anything about the car I was after, I would have looked at it and then never gone back to it.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #46
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some of the salesguys don't even know this.

When shopping for mine and comparing other prices on carsales I had salesguys going "nah, it doesn't look like a SVP as you can tell from the wheels in the photo"....."that's a stock image mate, not the actual car for sale" I says......."nah, I don't reckon"........"cheers mate, I'll see you later"

It's surprising, but you don't have to be in the market (as a buyer) to learn more about it than the guys who do it for a living. Pretty frustrating
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats a poor excuse, Try using the location feature when you search. Put your post code in and select a distance 10,25,50,100 km etc. then dealers half way across the state won't come up.
Yeah I can find dealers close to me doing that. But I still don't know what car is at what dealership, so I cant just rock up there when I get a chance.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #48
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo

When shopping for mine and comparing other prices on carsales I had salesguys going "nah, it doesn't look like a SVP as you can tell from the wheels in the photo"....."that's a stock image mate, not the actual car for sale" I says......."nah, I don't reckon"........"cheers mate, I'll see you later"

It's surprising, but you don't have to be in the market (as a buyer) to learn more about it than the guys who do it for a living. Pretty frustrating
Haha, So feel for the people trying to educate some of them on the finer points of online advertising. Something completely foreign to them.
Disclaimer: not ALL car dealers are like this.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #49
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo

With the internet its very easy to know more than the salesperson. I have found it with computers, tvs, stereos etc.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #50
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haha, So feel for the people trying to educate some of them on the finer points of online advertising. Something completely foreign to them.
I can well imagine

Quote:
not ALL car dealers are like this.
No, they are not. There are some good eggs out there

Quote:
With the internet its very easy to know more than the salesperson. I have found it with computers, tvs, stereos etc.
same. It is good when you find someone who is all over it though.

And just as important is that they don't get all sooky cause you have done some homework and know a bit about it.

If you don't know something just say so. Come back to me later once you've done some checking, no problem with that
Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #51
Booger

I just bought a brand new FPV GS from a local dealer. I was originally looking at low km demo GT's but the best priced ones all seemed to be interstate (I'm in NSW). I inquired about two off Carsales that were both from interstate dealers based only on the pictures used because the description section was used to tell us how great the dealer was and nothing about the car. Turned out neither car was as pictured or what I was looking for. Wasted my time and theirs not to mention costing them money if they do pay per inquiry.
Booger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post