Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #181
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Falcon Ecoboost sales breakdown

If they build the Mondeo here, it will be called a Mondeo. There is no way they'll keep Falcon. They would want to move away from the Falcon (AKA Large car name). The only why Falcon name will stay is if they import the Mondeo & be still build a Falcon large car.

The question needs to be asked though. Mondeo is not setting the sales chart on fire, is it really going to do any better than Falcon? It already has Hatch, wagon, Diesel & EB4 & still not much..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #182
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619

The question needs to be asked though. Mondeo is not setting the sales chart on fire, is it really going to do any better than Falcon? It already has Hatch, wagon, Diesel & EB4 & still not much..
Good point. If Falcon and Territory can't generate enough sales to keep local manufacturing viable, then I really can't see what other vehicle will, especially a fwd mondeo.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #183
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Good point. If Falcon and Territory can't generate enough sales to keep local manufacturing viable, then I really can't see what other vehicle will, especially a fwd mondeo.

Something like the Mondeo is the worst car you could build in the Ford stable. Ranger, Focus, Kuga - are the types you want.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #184
Bossxr8
Peter Car

A Mondeo build plan solely relies on exports throughout Asia. Its not viable for the Australian market only.

I think Territory exports to Thailand is a toe in the water exercise.

Territory replacement would have to be something built off the Mondeo platform, I don't know what is ATM, Edge?

Basing anything on solely Australian and NZ sales figures is an impossibility, its only feasible with exports.

I guess the big question is wether Ford HQ will allow it to happen, and wether they are prepared to allow FoA access to asian export markets.

I wouldn't hold my breath, the Ford execs wouldn't lose a wink of sleep shutting us down.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #185
warpsp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Territory replacement would have to be something built off the Mondeo platform, I don't know what is ATM, Edge?
I think the Edge is built on the Mazda CX9 platform, which I think originates from the Mazda6. I drove an Edge in the US a few years ago, it actually wasn't too bad. Just needed a better dashboard.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #186
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpsp33d
I think the Edge is built on the Mazda CX9 platform, which I think originates from the Mazda6. I drove an Edge in the US a few years ago, it actually wasn't too bad. Just needed a better dashboard.
Yep, CD3 platform. Will be moving to CD4 in a couple of years.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #187
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Verdict
Falcon XT: If the Falcon is doomed, it’s not because it’s an inferior drive. Solid dynamic fundamentals honed over decades of development are still world-class, but the six’s fuel use is off the pace and the rest of the package looks tired.

EcoBoost: It’s everything the identically-priced six-cylinder Falcon is, and just a bit more. Specifically, more fuel economy and more enjoyable to drive, although that slightly anemic engine note takes some getting used to.

Winner: EcoBoost
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...801-23ezc.html
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #188
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Verdict
Falcon XT: If the Falcon is doomed, it’s not because it’s an inferior drive. Solid dynamic fundamentals honed over decades of development are still world-class, but the six’s fuel use is off the pace and the rest of the package looks tired.

EcoBoost: It’s everything the identically-priced six-cylinder Falcon is, and just a bit more. Specifically, more fuel economy and more enjoyable to drive, although that slightly anemic engine note takes some getting used to.

Winner: EcoBoost
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...801-23ezc.html
So the article mentioned that the "real world" consumption figures for the EcoBoost is 9.6L/100km because "over the same mix of driving as the six, the smaller engine works harder". But he didn't mention what the "real world" figures for the six were.

As a result, people have commented that they won't get the EcoBoost for 0.3L/100km difference in consumption ...
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #189
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
So the article mentioned that the "real world" consumption figures for the EcoBoost is 9.6L/100km because "over the same mix of driving as the six, the smaller engine works harder". But he didn't mention what the "real world" figures for the six were.

As a result, people have commented that they won't get the EcoBoost for 0.3L/100km difference in consumption ...
Pretty unrealistic they are...

Problem with ecoboost is it thrashes the I6 on highway, but around town I think it could be heavier....

I would buy an ecoboost over an I6, but it would have to be a G6E as the rest of the lineup looks like ****.... They should offer an XR4 version.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #190
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Salesman told me today that Govt's cant buy turbcharged cars (without a good reason)
Another silly decision by bureaucrats....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post