Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Booger

Default Am I expecting to much from the dealer??

Guys,

I'm taking delivery in the next couple of days of a Silhouette FPV GS. As the car has been sitting on the showroom floor for god knows how long and I want the black colour to look good as long as possible I’ve arranged for my own detailer to go in there today to put a coating on it called Opti-Coat. The detailer rang me this morning and told me he’s not comfortable putting the coating on with the paint in the condition it’s in. From his inspection it has swirl marks from an electric buffer on it, the front bumper looks to have been wet sanded in a small spot and not re polished (probably for over spray) and there are a couple of tiny scratches where someone has probably lent against it in the showroom.

When I spoke to the dealership about this they told me it’s not been detailed by them yet and is as it came from the factory. I understand and accept that this occurs but my beef is that firstly, had I not arranged my own detailer I would have taken delivery of the car today which means it would have been in the condition it is now i.e. not detailed. Secondly, they knew I’d arranged this work today so should have had their detailer prep it for delivery as per what they told me they normally do. Thirdly, their detailer (because they won't let mine do it) can’t correct the paintwork till Thursday which again leads me to believe they had no intention of detailing it pre delivery to begin with. I’ve now had to re schedule to next week with my detailer to have the Opti-Coat applied.

When you’re paying $1,700 dealer delivery I would expect paintwork imperfections like this to be rectified prior to the delivery date not brought up by the buyer the day before delivery, or am I being unrealistic and asking too much here?

Booger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Am I expecting to much from the dealer??

I would have thought all cars were detailed (to a point) before delivery. All cars were detailed before delivery whee I used to work.

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Hood-G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Pre-delivery inspection. You don't have to accept the vehicle if your not happy with it's condition. Tell them you want the marks and swirls rectified prior to delivery and don't take delivery of it until it's to your satisfaction.

In saying that, pre-delivery "detail" is not a pinch on what a professional detailer would do. I'd spend the extra coin once you have the car and get your detailer to get it spot on and then apply the Opti-Coat.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Depends how much they discounted the car to you for. If there is bugger all money in it for them, they would do what they could to avoid spending money on the detailing. Doesn't make it right, just how it is. Have you paid for the car in full yet?

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pre delivery doesn't usually involve any paint correction work - this is done by a third party at the dealer's request (either at the dealer yard or at a repair shop).
Personally, I wouldn't put my detailer in the position of doing a job in the dealer premises - it gets a bit awkward for everyone. It's almost like getting your mechanic to complete a service/repair in the dealer's workshop....
But you're right, we deserve more for the "pre-delivery" fee.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep... Typically they will not buff a car at pre-delivery... All they do is wash it and put some quick shine wax all over it that hides 70% of the imperfections till the car is washed again.

To be honest I would not let them touch it with a buff.... Dealer detailers are paid to clean cars, not polish them. Its like a sausage factory, the one that pushes the most out per day is the one that gets the biggest rewards!!!

That's why they deliver the cars after 4 pm out the back of the showroom in the dark!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

1'stly I wouldn't be calling the dealership work as detailing as with more cases then none they are far from it.
Personally I would be asking them to release the vehicle in what ever condition it was in new and not letting them do a final inspection/paint correction on it and then taking it to your prefered detailer.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would probably just take the car as is and get your guy to do (all) the work.

If they do it under duress it is probably likely to end up worse not better
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Tell them you want some free accessories as compensation... Bootliner, dash mat, headlight covers and any other bits you can think of.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Booger

Thanks for all the replies guys, think I'll be organising to take the car as is and get my proper detailer to do the lot. Least then I'll have a bit more piece of mind that the car was done properly.
Old 31-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
AU Mont
Banned

i would just take delivery of the car as it is, then let your experienced detailer get his hands on it. For all you know the young apprentice at the back will be in charge of the paint correction lol

secondly, why would you have your detailer go do his magic on a car at the dealership that you havnt taken delivery of yet, seems a bit weird as all that stuff can be arranged once you get the car home?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
i would just take delivery of the car as it is, then let your experienced detailer get his hands on it. For all you know the young apprentice at the back will be in charge of the paint correction lol

secondly, why would you have your detailer go do his magic on a car at the dealership that you havnt taken delivery of yet, seems a bit weird as all that stuff can be arranged once you get the car home?
The Opti-Coat treatment I'm getting needs about 24hrs to fully harden without getting wet. At the dealership I could guarantee it being out of the weather for the time it needs.
Old 31-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your as fussy as it appears (not a bad thing) your better off getting the car in that state before the dealers groomer gets his hands on it and stuffs it even more.

Just hand it over to your detailer to sort out from the start.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Booger

Yeah will do. I'm going down to the dealer at 4:30 to pick the car up.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Pre delivery... the Focus got a car wash... and a poor one at that. There were dirt stains at the bottom of each panel gap between the doors where they didn't even hose it enough to allow the dusty water time to clear...

Then the scratch on the rear bumper that I saw within 5 seconds of going over the car at pick up ('Delivery' - sure, when it get dropped off at my house)... yet they all tried to tell me it was 'always there'.. but I didn't notice it the hr I was inspecting and going nover the car prior to working out a price... No worries... They fixed it only after a little huffing and puffing from my end.

Are you expecting too much?? Nope. And why a new car would have swirl marks from factory is beyond me..... It is this sort of rubbish that lets the brand down....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two words: Thin Paint.

Our G6E is "Edge" colour, and it's ridiculously thin...every mark, every chip, every rub marks it...you can even mark it with a thumbnail. I asked the Ford guys after we bought it about this and they shrugged and said "they're all like that, especially the dark colour ones".

Guess they save a few bucks with a few less coats of paint, like they save by not painting engine blocks or bare iron parts elsewhere on the car...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #17
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

What about the orange peel? Are you upset about that? Comes from the factory.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Whatever you do, don't let the dealer 'detail' it for you!
You'll thank me later, but just take the car as it is and have your trusted detailer do a paint rectification before applying the Opticoat sealant.

You can try to insist on the dealer paying for your guy to do the detail, but if they refuse just leave it. Trust me, I've seen cars end up in worse state after a dealer detail than before.

When I picked up my new car back in 2007 I made the dealer promise me that they wouldn't even wash it for me.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Two words: Thin Paint.
Holy crap thats terrible i never knew that.

OP you should also get the car repainted/paint repaired at your local dealer or let them make the arrangements, this other dealer that currently has the car you want sounds like their making trouble.

Either A. Get the car as it is and make a written agreement with the current dealer that it is their responsibility to get it up to scratch once they are in possession of it.

B. Walk away, i know but it would be worth it in the long run just to deal with your local dealer and not have to jump through hoops trying to deal with others.

You really gotta cover you *** because the dealers wont, they just want you to buy the car as quickly as possible.

Then again if you have the money it might be worth just getting the whole car resprayed later on and just live with its current paint job.

I personally would make them both sweat for as long as possible and get some discounts/freebies out of them for your trouble.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Booger

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I picked the car up on Tuesday as is and told the dealer I'd have my detailed work on it. It's really not even that bad. Most people would even care or notice any of the blemishes. It's only that I'm looking at it in the long term especially with the silhouette paint job. Once the detailed has fixed it up and applied the OptiCoat it'll look awesome so that's all I'm thinking about. I've also just ordered my new number plates. Silver letters on black V8 FPV.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger
Guys,

I'm taking delivery in the next couple of days of a Silhouette FPV GS. As the car has been sitting on the showroom floor for god knows how long and I want the black colour to look good as long as possible I’ve arranged for my own detailer to go in there today to put a coating on it called Opti-Coat. The detailer rang me this morning and told me he’s not comfortable putting the coating on with the paint in the condition it’s in. From his inspection it has swirl marks from an electric buffer on it, the front bumper looks to have been wet sanded in a small spot and not re polished (probably for over spray) and there are a couple of tiny scratches where someone has probably lent against it in the showroom.

When I spoke to the dealership about this they told me it’s not been detailed by them yet and is as it came from the factory. I understand and accept that this occurs but my beef is that firstly, had I not arranged my own detailer I would have taken delivery of the car today which means it would have been in the condition it is now i.e. not detailed. Secondly, they knew I’d arranged this work today so should have had their detailer prep it for delivery as per what they told me they normally do. Thirdly, their detailer (because they won't let mine do it) can’t correct the paintwork till Thursday which again leads me to believe they had no intention of detailing it pre delivery to begin with. I’ve now had to re schedule to next week with my detailer to have the Opti-Coat applied.

When you’re paying $1,700 dealer delivery I would expect paintwork imperfections like this to be rectified prior to the delivery date not brought up by the buyer the day before delivery, or am I being unrealistic and asking too much here?
If you want perfect paint, buy a Lexus.

Its beyond Ford and its workers/machinery to give anything but a average paint job and finish

For mine i think they use a mop to paint the said vehicles, worse, they used watered down chinese paint....

And they wonder where it all went wrong........
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
If you want perfect paint, buy a Lexus.

Its beyond Ford and its workers/machinery to give anything but a average paint job and finish

For mine i think they use a mop to paint the said vehicles, worse, they used watered down chinese paint....

And they wonder where it all went wrong........
But wouldn't ford use the same paint technique that other manufacturers use?
in those 'megafactory' shows, they 'spray' the paint on dry and bake it. (chevrolet, dodge, bmw, ferrari all do it). all automated on the conveyor belt
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Am I expecting to much from the dealer??

.see below!

Last edited by RASER; 02-08-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: see below!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
stang65
FPRJET

Here we go again Ford can`t do this right. no offence to the OP he is just asking the question but some of the comments. We are talking about a black car first of all that shows up even the slightest speck of dust. i have seen brand new Hondas with peel and swirl marks even Lexus and OH my god even Audi.

But of course being a ford we all whinge.

Good luck with you black car mate they are a ***** to keep clean and those swirl marks it`s a part of life ESPECIALLY on black cars.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Am I expecting to much from the dealer??

But wouldn't ford use the same paint technique that other manufacturers use?
in those 'megafactory' shows, they 'spray' the paint on dry and bake it. (chevrolet, dodge, bmw, ferrari all do it). all automated on the conveyor belt

Its more complex than that, lots more.

Its like saying all cars have 4 wheels so they are all the same!

Type of metal used, preperation and attention to detail, layers of paint and clear, quality of paint and spray equipment, staff training and mindset [say NO to "she will be right mate"]

The simple test is run your fingers over a Lexus paint, and then ANY other car, you fingers will feel the difference immediatly

This is for you:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...mi-Files-Paint[

One thing i should mention in all fairness, Lexus paint is "soft" so it will chip easier than a harder less shine type paint

You have one or the other, being premium Lexus go for the shine, look and finish

Oh, and well done to the OP, hope he enjoys the car, its a pity that the Ford dealer lets done the team once again, thank God Bayfords here in Vic. run a crack show, why are other dealers such cocks, dont they want customers and money/buiness?

Last edited by RASER; 02-08-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Lexus finish or better!