Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
HOON69
Banned

Default AU series 2 SR Question/Answers

my brother inlaw just purchased a 2001 SII AU SR WAGON with the normal goodies
with 64,000klms auto etc
for 14,990 on road from Q FORD.

Q:what sort of issues, come from owning a AU (no punt intended etc)
and when it comes to warranty etc is he allowed to do any type of mods/service to his car

now i know this is all explained when you sign the doted line but he's always working on cars and he doesnt wanna void his warranty

so is he allowed to do any hand on maintance and for a AU SR with 64k does 15k basically sound like a bargain or just about "on par"

pics will come soon
cheers

after seeing the condition of this beast i so want a SR wagon myself so im on the lookout for one now ;)

HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Q FORD mmm great spares guy but WTF comes to mind on spares. Best ford dealer to buy in Brisbane for the car. WORST for spares parts eg Tickford snorkel $55, drive 15 km away(20 mins) $32.50. Something to keep in mind!
Old 26-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
HOON69
Banned

me n the wife are heading out car shopping over xmas looking for new year bargains
since seeing the SR im looking into either a XR6 or a SR possibly fairmont/ghia
unsure as yet will keep u posted :
Old 26-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
fauxpas

AU/BA have notorious brake rotor problems... they warp over time too easy and the AU rotors were only warranted to 50,000ks and the BA to 100,000ks.

I put slotted DBA sports rotors on the fronts of my AUII Futura and didn't have a problem after that... That's the only problem that WILL come along unless a previous owner has already replaced the rotors with aftermarket...

With your car, how much ya spending? I bought my BA Ghia via an internet site (www.drive.com.au) and I found while looking for cars, I was able to post an enquiry about each car to the respective car yard with ludicrous offers and one will inevitably bite. I needed to get a certain amount for my AUII and could only go to a certain amount on the BA and I enquired with many yards via drive.com or www.carsales.com.au and many came close, but I only had to wait a few days for a winner... the exact car I wanted and the only person who could give me the exact price I needed for my AUII.

After doing that deal, I still had a few guys calling me lowering their prices on other cars I'd enquired about... loved it...

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Sounds like a reasonable deal considering its thru a dealer and has the stat 3 year used warranty..

Q Ford are a great bunch of people to deal with, especially there spare parts department..

Shouldnt have any worries with it
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

AU2 has minimal issues to be honest.
The usual brake rotors warping (an issue from AU1 to current BA's to be honest) and some of the minor deals like tyre scrub (get it properly aligned and maybe a camber kit if needed) along with making sure all the electrics are operational (power window switches being the main culprit and rare enough these days).

Apart from that the main issue will be bing asked why he bought an "ugly au"? and then explaining to them how much he actually loves it. They are a car that will quickly grow on you. I was going to warn you but it already looks like you have been caught by their value for money and outstanding drivability.. it has already blinded you to years of questioning what that shape.. just like the rest of us.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
HOON69
Banned

crappy pic but meh
Old 26-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Sorry to go off topic, but while we are discussing brakes, how bout we give an estimate on how much it would cost to rectify the problem. I think Glenau2 got DBA sloteds and a transmission service for $620? So what would the price of say just the discs and pads and fitting?
Old 26-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
fauxpas

Discs from Repco = $300-350 a set for the fronts... Pads vary a lot... if you go expensive pads from $80-200 expect brake squeal... fitting cost me $150 incl pads + $350 = $500

That leaves $120 for that tranny service which is exactly what a tranny guy quoted me for one before trading in my AUII.

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get DBA rotors from Super Cheap Auto now and theyre only 99 bucks each for slotted. Gettin me a set shortly
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #11
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there shouldn't be any problems with it. Brake shudder? My au had 85,000km on it when they needed machining.. I just replaced em with dba slotted.
They are good cars hoon, he should have no worries with it.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 10:31 PM   #12
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good,in fact very much like mine.$13k for this one 150ks

got any better shots of your bro's
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
DailyDriver

I bought an AU2 SR as well.....but I have changed the look of it somewhat...

All Go.......VXSS.....380bhp

All Show...2001 AU2 SR...210bhp...SOLD!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post