Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #91
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: police clamping down on modded cars?

a few recent deaths in Sydent have been poor unfortunates and trucks dropping loads on them or the poor bloke that was run down when he stopped to help someone who had an accident not from low cars with loud engines

the show was designed to get the public thinking and it had done that. Most of the forum users are here because they love Fords and modifying them. We don't need to get into a debate about old people driving in the right hand lane because it's not always an old person but i agree that it isn't a newsworthy item to have CA do a story on.

I agree that the police should be checking vehicles i see around town that are rustbuckets that are possibly not even registered, ones with worn tyres and smoky engines but the drivers of these cars are more clever than to draw attention to themselves by the odd burnout or gathering together in one spot

Oh and PS i am not someone who likes people snailing along in the right lane, or hesitating/not indicating in roundabouts or travelling along with 3 kids not in seatbelts. Sometimes I wish i was a copper to do something about it actually
Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #92
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I show some respect to other road user's so I don't think I will have to worry about that, maybe you should try it some time.
Right.... and you got there how?

I think you have me confused with someone that's actually an inconsiderate ***** on the roads.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #93
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

It's always because of people trying to "clean up society" but are wasting their time in the wrong areas. Sure, people who do burnouts and drag in the middle of a busy street. Yeah, smash them into the dirt. Having the same punishment for a kid who wants to enjoy his car (we're all kids inside, don't lie to yourself) out in an industrial estate in the middle of the night where there isn't another car or pedestrian for at least 6 blocks is a bit much. There needs to be some discretion held for the severity of the crime.

Same thing that needs to be done with modified cars. If someone is going out of his way to attract attention to himself by revving his car out everytime he can, making dangerous manouvres and what ever, pull him over and defect him. But having a modified car that would probably be illegally modified by being too low or not having load rated tyres shouldn't be bothered as he isn't an immediate threat to those around him.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #94
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

If you had a tyre burst because it was not the appropriate weight handling of the vehicle, would you consider this a safety aspect?

Some cars are lowered to the point where there is next to no suspension compliance, a car like this can loose grip rather quickly and start to slide.

Do you see my point, these can be seen as safety issues, yes a car that is 2 mm too low is not likely to fall into that category but limits have been set and the above examples could be an extreme example but is a scenario that can happen.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #95
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Having 20s that are only slightly under the load rating isn't going to have ones tyre burst. And even then, it's only if they care carrying excessive weight ie. Towing or having a full car and a full boot.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #96
Daze

Why did'nt ACA label these people as hoons?

• Former NSW minister Michael Yabsley was allowed to keep his driving licence despite being booked by police and recording a blood alcohol reading almost four times the legal limit. The reading was 0.18 but magistrate Jeff Linden placed him on a $500 12-month good behaviour bond, whereas a normal member of the public would have lost his licence immediately and could have easily been sentenced to a jail term.
  • Millionaire high profile Sydney businessman John Singleton was let off without a fine, loss of licence or conviction after being caught speeding at 160kph in his Bentley on a highway with a speed limit of 110kph. At the time, this offence carried a monetary penalty of $668, instant licence cancellation and a criminal conviction. Singleton did not offer any form of mitigation, such as that he might have been speeding to a hospital because a passenger had suffered a heart attack. Without an apparent sign of contrition, Singleton merely said that it was perfectly safe to drive his Bentley on that road at that speed. Mere mortals of the general public driving their perfectly safe Holdens and Falcons at 160kph would have had the book thrown at them by any magistrate, whereas in this incident, Singleton demonstrated yet again how the rich and famous get away with offences that would see average people convicted without question.
  • Anton Faber-Castell, all of 17 years old and newly licensed, drove his father's BMW 740i on Sydney's 100kph speed limited F3 freeway at an astonishing 200kph and was clocked twice at that speed by police radar. He only held a probationary driving licence, which meant that he was not permitted to drive over 90kph at any time. Normally probationary drivers automatically lose their licences if they are caught driving at any speed over the posted limit. The maximum penalty for driving at such an excessive speed as 200kph is a $2200 fine, nine months in jail and licence disqualification for three years. However Faber-Castell's penalty was even more astonishing. He was given a 12 month good behaviour bond, his conviction was not recorded and he was ordered to pay $56 in court costs and incredibly, the magistrate even allowed him to keep his licence. Any reasonable person would wonder why Faber-Castell received such a pittance of a penalty instead of having the book thrown at him by the magistrate. Could it be because Anton Faber-Castell is the heir to the German Faber-Castell stationery manufacturing fortune and his extremely wealthy family has great influence?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #97
XR8menace
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been pulled over before a couple of times in my ute, no way legal to the letter of the law. Traction bars, KB blower with 14PSI, lowered and dual 3" exhaust but pulled straight over, curtious to the officer and didn't BS him. Copped the fine for speeding on the chin and he sent me on my way.

It has been said earlier in the thread, attitude to the police goes along way. Sometimes though you will get an as&$le. But they can be any where in life. You just need to deal with it.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #98
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Having 20s that are only slightly under the load rating isn't going to have ones tyre burst. And even then, it's only if they care carrying excessive weight ie. Towing or having a full car and a full boot.
And you know this because................

so why bother having load ratings at all then, limits have to be set for a reason, why not buy a tyre that has the appropriate rating?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #99
XR8menace
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze
Why did'nt ACA label these people as hoons?[*] [/LIST]
Simple, money.... 90% of the time you can get away with anything if you have money to pay for good legal advice.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #100
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
And you know this because................

so why bother having load ratings at all then, limits have to be set for a reason, why not buy a tyre that has the appropriate rating?
What he's saying is load ratings are for the worst case. ie. fully loaded and towing.
If the car is not loaded and only has the driver, it is very unlikely the tyres/rims would exceed their safe limits, so a spontaneous blowout due to load rating is very unlikely.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #101
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

limits on all cars are for the cars loaded to the legal limits, not just a different set of rules based on just the driver or driver and 1 passenger or driver and some luggage but half a tank of fuel etc etc

Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #102
RAPID_BA
Banned

the problem with the cops knee jerk reaction is that it drives the nice cars indoors, back in the sheds, sneaking out on sunday mornings only.

It was a cheap act to let many street meets go untaxed, wekks on end, police even turn up and look the other way. Then people get a bit more confident, take out their street machines in the name of charity and BOOMSHAKALAKA, they turn up with the RTA to take them all out?

From my reports noone was doing anything dangerous, parked with a hotdog in their mouth.

oh and good thread HULK!!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #103
MAD
Petro-sexual

No the rules don't change, but the design safety margins are higher if you operate the car like that.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #104
XR8menace
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Your confused over much less

My car doesnt break the speed limit on our roads, what dont you get? Any previous comments about how the car performs are tests on private premises, off road, a proper facility.

My 400+rwkw is for BBQs only, just viewing pleasure.

please stay on topic rattler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisosicko
I bought mine because the fg xr6t just didnt make the noises i was after. And because if i didnt buy it when i was young id never get to own my childhood dream car! A falcon gt
That's funny.....
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #105
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
the problem with the cops knee jerk reaction is that it drives the nice cars indoors, back in the sheds, sneaking out on sunday mornings only.

It was a cheap act to let many street meets go untaxed, wekks on end, police even turn up and look the other way. Then people get a bit more confident, take out their street machines in the name of charity and BOOMSHAKALAKA, they turn up with the RTA to take them all out?

From my reports noone was doing anything dangerous, parked with a hotdog in their mouth.

Get with the times Hulk , we've already had this in VIC at Knox.

Last edited by MAD; 10-07-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added quote for context
Old 10-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #106
scottyg938
Stock Boss

I don't get why there is such a big discussion about this, if your car is modified outside of roadworthy standards be prepared to get a defect for and and don't complain when you do.
Out of the 4 cars i have owned 3 of them have been defected and i know my XR8 will one day, just a matter of time before it does.
The only one I have complained about was 'missing a wheel nut' which when i got home and checked was in fact not missing.

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #107
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

People have an issue posting without taking personal aim, is it so hard to post without trying to score a brownie point.
Cant keep it civil Closed

Quote:
Self praise is no recommendation.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread