Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #151
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford vows to fight on after July shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You mean the engine plant at Geelong?
Yeah.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #152
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

well hopefully he's here to say to Graziano to go ahead and spend some dollars upgrading acart so that they can calibrate and test for euro 5+. At the moment it's euro 4 only.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #153
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'm sure that one sale would have saved the wagon from being axed.
I don't really have any opinions about the wagon being axed, I guess I was just telling what had happened with the relative. Even though it was just one single case, it interested me a bit in the light of the news that's been discussed here & in the other threads about Ford Australia's future.

Anyway it is what it is & if it doesn't seem relevant to you guys then that's fine.

It is gonna be interesting in these coming years to see what happens with the Falcon & with Ford Australia.

Personally I love the big sedans that Australia produces & long may they survive.
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #154
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
well hopefully he's here to say to Graziano to go ahead and spend some dollars upgrading acart so that they can calibrate and test for euro 5+. At the moment it's euro 4 only.

When is Euro 5 planned for Australia, after 2016?

A hunch but, maybe Hindricks wanted to see how Ford Australia kept costs down on the I-6?
It was after all, more cost effective to update the I-6 than bring in the uS V6, that would pr1ck some ears...

(I meant that in a nice way, language editor is sensitive...)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #155
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

yeah I believe there was an extension to the timelines which gives some breathing space.

2016 sounds about right, which obviously coincides with their public commitment to local manufacturing of local product.

A lousy couple of hundred million invested in Broady and Geelong should see the plants upgraded to fully flex capable.. then they can build pretty much any of the new global platforms!! If not, then it's the status quo and continue to evolve current platform.
Old 26-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #156
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's gotta be global then Mustang platform has my vote
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #157
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When is Euro 5 planned for Australia, after 2016?

A hunch but, maybe Hindricks wanted to see how Ford Australia kept costs down on the I-6?
It was after all, more cost effective to update the I-6 than bring in the uS V6, that would pr1ck some ears...

(I meant that in a nice way, language editor is sensitive...)
he's got a direct line to Mullaly, so hopefully he really goes into bat for the guys in the plants!

He's also visiting the Proving Grounds, he's never toured Australia's facilities, so hopefully he sees value, meets with Government while he's here and takes it all back to AM ans says go for it!
Old 26-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #158
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
yeah I believe there was an extension to the timelines which gives some breathing space.

2016 sounds about right, which obviously coincides with their public commitment to local manufacturing of local product.

A lousy couple of hundred million invested in Broady and Geelong should see the plants upgraded to fully flex capable.. then they can build pretty much any of the new global platforms!! If not, then it's the status quo and continue to evolve current platform.
In terms of infrastructure to maintain production capability, it really chicken feed..
The thought of Broadmeadows becoming More EUCD friendly should be welcome news
to those on the shop floor, nice to know that Ford is leaving some options open..

So if FoA was to go with another RWD Falcon, there would be no technical issue
stopping them using a suitably upgraded I-6?
Old 26-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #159
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You guys are dreaming if you think he is here to make Falcon Euro 5
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #160
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
You guys are dreaming if you think he is here to make Falcon Euro 5
Yeah but look who's saying it.....

Quote:
he's got a direct line to Mullaly, so hopefully he really goes into bat for the guys in the plants!

He's also visiting the Proving Grounds, he's never toured Australia's facilities, so hopefully he sees value, meets with Government while he's here and takes it all back to AM ans says go for it!
Contrary to some of the guff on here about Ford US wanting to close down assets,
I think the Americans are quite impressed with what FoA achieves, it's like mini Detroit to them.
RWD is their history, a small piece preserved in a far off land...

It's not often that Ford is offered money to develop vehicles for a market, that gotta be an attention grabber..

Last edited by jpd80; 26-06-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #161
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm not saying he's here for euro 5 at all DASH. We are simply speculating, but I know that acart needs upgrading iirc.

What we know for sure, is that he's looking around, and Ford have stated that he's not here to be the bearer of bad news... so that's something at least.

jpd - technical issues for IL6, well it depends which technical issues we talk about... there are a few completely unrelated areas of 'issues' that need investment, those are centered around emissions and the new ANCAP.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #162
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks JPFS1, ACART actually provides services not only to Ford but other manufacturers too so must have an income stream..
Upgrading ACART services would also involve upgrading the emissions testing capability to Euro 5 and 6 for up coming regs
that start in 2013 and apply to all vehicles by 2016. A necessary pre step in preserving existing local Ford vehicles?
Old 26-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #163
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep you would think so. Acart is a collaboration between FoA, one of the Universities and one other I believe (maybe gov?), i would expect the facility to upgraded regardless.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #164
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What is ACART?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #165
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
What is ACART?
Advanced Centre of Automotive Research and Testing....LINK
Old 27-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #166
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Put it this way, of Dearborn wanted the whole shooting match closed, they would have flexed their corporate muscles of authority and done it by now. Especially during the flurry of shuttering plants, shitcanning platforms and the like during and after the GFC hit.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #167
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Put it this way, of Dearborn wanted the whole shooting match closed, they would have flexed their corporate muscles of authority and done it by now. Especially during the flurry of shuttering plants, shitcanning platforms and the like during and after the GFC hit.
Precisely.
And while the bosses wouldn't be happy with low volumes, they would be plreasd that FoA
is making every effort to control costs and keep production going. I think they need an assist...
Old 27-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #168
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree and if Dearborn wasn't happy now they would have made management changes as well. O/t my wife an I both happened to drive home at the same time today and while waiting to enter our driveway I got a chance to look head on at our just detailed G6ET..and f#*k it's a good looking car...you don't know how many times I've stalled ordering a replacement, lol.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #169
RASER
Banned

Quote:
NOT if its not costing FOMOCO a thing, AUS GovCo has saved it and picked up the tab, soon as the menopausel-moster is booted out of Canberra the Libs would be so kind in shoveling coin down a hole.....
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #170
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Precisely.
And while the bosses wouldn't be happy with low volumes, they would be plreasd that FoA
is making every effort to control costs and keep production going. I think they need an assist...
Problem is they aren't happy with the volumes.

Sent you a PM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #171
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
They can be used for that, but they are not build just for that purpose

Most F-150 probally only haul a tool kit, eski and dog.
Other than the mid-west, they are used as cars/family vehicle, suits me fine, they actually outsell cars in the USA, and by a big margain
Old 27-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #172
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Only a fool could think otherwise, they must be waiting for a miracle, Magna/380 style?

Days are numbered for the Falcon, DONT PANIC, Ford is not leaving town.

With the Falcon/Terri axed we can have a much larger range of imported vehicles offered
Old 27-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #173
RASER
Banned

Quote:
there would be no technical issue
stopping them using a suitably upgraded I-6?
The ONLY issue will be finding customers to plonk down coin for a Falcon.....
Old 27-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #174
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Ford vows to fight on after July shutdown

Quote:
aaahhh for you they could do it for 19,990 drive away, but you won't get reverse or a rear view mirror... just drive OFF into the sunset and don't look back!
Its $23k in USA so wont happen, none the less seeing they sold AUSSIE MADE "Pontiac"-Monaro for less in the USA than AUS., would be nice for a change for us to have a win here down-under, payback if u will...

Last edited by RASER; 27-06-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 27-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #175
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Its $23k in USA so wont happen, none the less seeing they sold the Pontiac-Monaro for less in the USA than AUS., would be nice for a change for us to have a win here down-under, payback if u will...
For interests sake, can you name me one new car, from any manufacturer, that is sold in the US and here, that is cheaper or the same price in Oz?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #176
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Ford vows to fight on after July shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
For interests sake, can you name me one new car, from any manufacturer, that is sold in the US and here, that is cheaper or the same price in Oz?
Would be none, the gap/difference is small on lots though, we have lot more brands here than USA, insane amount of different cars here for the small market size, and more coming, what we really need here is the F150:-) [They where all expecting me to say that, so i did!]
Old 27-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #177
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NOT if its not costing FOMOCO a thing, AUS GovCo has saved it and picked up the tab, soon as the menopausel-moster is booted out of Canberra the Libs would be so kind in shoveling coin down a hole.....
I don't think any government assistance, be it financial or other form comes anywhere near the money Ford, Holden or Toyota put in of their own. Any goverment help makes a project more viable or gains influence in having that project continue here however any federal/state funds don't come near what the actual companies put in themselves and never has.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #178
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Only a fool could think otherwise, they must be waiting for a miracle, Magna/380 style?

Days are numbered for the Falcon, DONT PANIC, Ford is not leaving town.

With the Falcon/Terri axed we can have a much larger range of imported vehicles offered
blah, blah, blah!! Change the record!!!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #179
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sent you a PM.
Thanks, I see your point. Hence my hint that FoA needs an assist, maybe there's a reason why
Broadmeadows has been configured like a Ford Europe plant. We can hope...