Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #31
SIMBAD
RAPID GT-P

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This thread: BA-BF diff cradle removal for diff bushes 
Default Re: Answer to cold callers?

I usually just say, do u know the sound of a reversing truck? Then hang up...
Full Difilippo big boy exhaust /4.5" body ballistic metal cats / boss 315 plenum & twin throttle body coupled to bpr airbox / powerbond underdrives / herrod 290 cams / malwood opt 3+ / hrs Pegasus rims 19x8.5 front - 9.5 rear / nitto invo 245-35-19F & 275-35-19R / whiteline swaybars/ Under bonnet bling / 4.11 harrop truetrac

Enhanced by BLUEPOWER

supercharged 363 dart takes on au work ute http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342906
SIMBAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #32
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I pay my money to have a communication device for my convenience. If you use it and inconvenience me, brace yourself. Whistles, swearing, racial taunts, time wasting, abuse. If you don't want it, don't call.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #33
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once had a "charity" call me asking if i would buy a teddy bear, at the time i was lucky to have $4 in my account before pay day. Told her this and she got angry that i wouldnt donate to them.

Ive disconected my home phone as we were getting 5+ calls a day all the same thing. No one contacts us on the home phone so we dont answer.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
brydie76
Moff-fan

If it is a charity, I politely decline, mention I donate to charity only through face to face contact/work, and hang up. Telemarketers get a no thanks, I don't make those decisions, but I do know the person who does is not interested either. Haven't gotten any scammers yet, but I would just mention I do not own a PC, I am aware of the scam and if they called this number again I would record the conversation and forward it onto the authorities.

The ones that really get me are Optus (customer sureys- seriously, don't call me while I'm at work, or even better, AT ALL!!!!) Aus Life Savers (sorry, but giving money to them once should not be a licence for them to call me endlessly- I just ignore these calls now) and spam faxes on my work number (which are forwarded to my email, so essentially become spam email. They are unstoppable- calling the companies being promoted and threaten to take action against them personally is my only option left!!!!)

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

These are often agents taking 60%+ for collecting money..
I use to donate to kidney, bush fire, heart foundation.. No more they
keep begging for money..
Now I donate to Father O'riley, "Youth off the streets" and salvation Army..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #36
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

We were getting 4+ each night when we moved into our house. Went on the do not call registry and haven't had many in over a year.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #37
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just give the phone to one of my kids(5 & 3) they like to talk to anyone on the phone.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_BA2003
We were getting 4+ each night when we moved into our house. Went on the do not call registry and haven't had many in over a year.

we are on that as well......unfortunately this system does not apply to overseas callers

guess where the ........"good afternoon sir, my name is Michael do you realise your computer is sending out error report messages" .....comes from

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
i just give the phone to one of my kids(5 & 3) they like to talk to anyone on the phone.
We do this as well. They haven't made it all the way through baa baa black sheep yet.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #40
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
One of my mates used to act like he was mentally retarded and really slow.

Apparently in the culture where the call centres are based (you know what I mean) - they believe that just by talking to someone with issues like that over the phone they can catch it themself?

They used to hang up pretty quick after getting frustrated with him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gj8b...6C84A23F60E2DB
Sounding like this guy?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #41
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get right annoyed at cold calling. I have registered for the 'Do Not Call' register, and sadly it just doesn't go far enough. Charities and Government sanctioned organisations are exempt!

After I have worked all night, getting worken at 11am by an unsolicited and unwelcome phone call leaves me unable to maintain my manners.

I usually start with the words "Speak" and when they announce their charitable cause or departmental name, I typically launch into a rant which includes the phrase ' This will be the first and last time you organisation ever dials my number'.

Slowly but surely the number of calls has declined but every now and again there is a spike, which results in me disconnecting my phone lines until I actually want to use it. I shouldn't have to go to these lengths but really, I value my own time and space and dont see the need to share it with cold callers.

(I should point out I also have a small sign near my front gate which says "No hawkers, religious venturers, traders or philistines") It has worked a treat, not a single unsolicited visitor in over three years. WIN.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #42
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
If he thinks the are Indian he makes comments about home kill [cows] etc...
As soon as i hear their Indian i just hang up.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #43
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Private number works for me. We get very few calls.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #44
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't get angry, I just decline. They are just trying to make a living and that money usually helps the economy. Remember an accent could be a local resident with an accent. So I am okay with a few annoying calls every once in a while to support the economy.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #45
pcw
Starter Motor

I always enjoy speaking with the push starts........
2010 G6E Turbo
Winter White with Cashmere.
pcw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #46
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Remember an accent could be a local resident with an accent
they may not be local, but they still have to eat and in some countries this is their only means to gain money

that said, i am on the do not call register, because it is so annoying to receive calls from them. i always "try" to be polite though
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #47
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Agree, there is always a difference between being rude and being polite about it. Sure it's dam annoying to receive a call about a survey or asking if you are happy with your telco provider right in the middle of dinner time, but they are just doing their job at the end of the day. It's not hard to say 'no thanks' and then hang up the phone, which is what I do. End of discussion.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #48
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
they may not be local, but they still have to eat and in some countries this is their only means to gain money

that said, i am on the do not call register, because it is so annoying to receive calls from them. i always "try" to be polite though

But surely they can find some of their own population to call. There are over a billion of them.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #49
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
But surely they can find some of their own population to call. There are over a billion of them.
They arent as well off as us Australians, and they work for a lot less than us ozzys do too.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #50
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais

(I should point out I also have a small sign near my front gate which says "No hawkers, religious venturers, traders or philistines") It has worked a treat, not a single unsolicited visitor in over three years. WIN.
Locked gates and a big black hairy dog stops them too.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #51
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Im at home and my 6 year old daughter is there I wait for them to ask to speak to the house owner, then I put her on.............. she loves to have a chat
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #52
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
I get right annoyed at cold calling. I have registered for the 'Do Not Call' register, and sadly it just doesn't go far enough. Charities and Government sanctioned organisations are exempt!

After I have worked all night, getting worken at 11am by an unsolicited and unwelcome phone call leaves me unable to maintain my manners.

I usually start with the words "Speak" and when they announce their charitable cause or departmental name, I typically launch into a rant which includes the phrase ' This will be the first and last time you organisation ever dials my number'.

Slowly but surely the number of calls has declined but every now and again there is a spike, which results in me disconnecting my phone lines until I actually want to use it. I shouldn't have to go to these lengths but really, I value my own time and space and dont see the need to share it with cold callers.

Just do what I do and have calls go straight to the answering machine. If someone wants to speak to you then they'll leave a message. Not a single charity or government survey calls since. Helps when we are at home with our 3 week old son and we don't get any calls.