Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #91
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Kuga Compact SUV to be Released in Australia in 2012

That's an awesome chat, Russell. I think a couple of those cars are out of Kuga's class though, CX-7 and Territory primarily, on dimensions alone.

A couple additions to the chart would be the Mitsubishi ASX Aspire Diesel, Mitsubishi Outlander VRX, Kia Sportage and Hyundai ix35 Highlander diesel.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #92
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's great info Russ

Just a note, Combined Fuel for the Turbo Forester should be 10.5. (you've got the extra urban)
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #93
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Thats about $10k more than I thought it would be!!! might be a hard sell..
That's what I was thinking..... Will Kuga go the way of the ECOnetic?

* No choice of transmissions
* No diesel option (no option for 'new - High Tech' engine)
* An auto that has 1 ratio less than the competition
* Average consumption that is more than the competition
* $5-$10k more than what I think people are willing to pay

Yup... seems Ford is on a winner.....

3yr / 100k warranty. Ummmm how long has that been the norm for Ford now???? What is the norm for the competition??

If I was looking for a small / mid sized SUV it would be already be near the bottom of the list, and it hasn't even been released yet.

Just my opinion...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #94
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Would be nice, but Kuga will probably go to Thailand? Its been mentioned but i'm not sure if thats confirmed or just a theory.

Does Mondeo sell in enough numbers to justify it being built here? One common theme that being pushed around alot is small volume assembly doesn't work from a viability perspective.
There's a difference,
"Small volume" as in unique vehicle built in small volume production is unviable but
building a global vehicle in limited production numbers is a completely different case...

Heck, to make things easy you could import stampings and parts, just do assembly here,
it would save four month waiting period from FoE and give Broadmeadows another 600 cars
a month to build, maybe three days production - that would be good too hey?
Ditto Kuga, another 600 a month and maybe three days production and no waiting list.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Kuga is a supposed to be a top drive, a lot better than its competition, hence why its sold so well in Europe.

Ford can only get 200 a month, and enquiries for info has matched Ranger numbers, and Ford were stunned by how many enquiries for info that got, so judging by that Ford will have no problems shifting them at all.

But lets all bag anything Ford sell cause its fun, good to see people have also moved past bagging Falcon to also bag Fords other products. How about we all start bagging Territory, Mustang and F series too, they are all rubbish as well aren't they. Sheesh.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #96
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

I was one of "the many" that enquired, but at that price i am now not so keen. Don't get me wrong, looks good, but the overall package just doesn't add up (to me) to the dollars they are asking. I can't imagine I'm that different to many others who were keen.

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #97
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Another great table Russ. It would be interesting to see the new CX5 added to that table as well.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #98
1TUFFUTE
Banned

am i missing something...i was looking at that chart and its competitors and knowing how good a drive it apparently is i thought the rrp wasnt to bad...what am i missing??
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #99
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
am i missing something...i was looking at that chart and its competitors and knowing how good a drive it apparently is i thought the rrp wasnt to bad...what am i missing??
Did you read the sentences after the price comparo?

The VW Tiguan (that has 4 engine options and starts at under 40 grand) needs to be added to the chart, as do the Koreans (That also have multiple engine options and longer warranty).

A base model of $40+k is not a good starting point as well IMO - and others it seems.

And I'm not 'knocking the product' at all. I'm doing what any other consumer would do... look at the options, specs and price of a bunch of vehicles in the same segment and use that info to scrutinise the best deal. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure that the Kuga is a great package, but with the amount of alternatives out there it isn't starting its model run on its best feet.

Carry on.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 20-02-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #100
1TUFFUTE
Banned

true enough too...engine options and price is enough to sink it for most i spose so yeah its not looking that great then...
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #101
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW Tiguan starts at $28k...
Old 20-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #102
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
VW Tiguan starts at $28k...
Problem with that is you get nothing as standard and need to spend $10k to get it up to spec, then another $2k for an automatic.
Old 20-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #103
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kuga Titanium in UK is 26,145gbp,retail, current exchange rate that is $38,444aus. Ford wouldn't buy them at retail price. More like 20,000gbp or $30kaus. There isn't $14k in shipping etc. price is a bit hard to justify..
Old 20-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #104
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

car prices in Aus are nothing to do with what the car is worth. They're set at the level the market will bear and we're known as a high margin market. given the low volume of these that are coming in I don't think Ford wil have any trouble shifting them. It also has the advantage that the new 2013 model can be advertised at a lower price than the outgoing model.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #105
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley
car prices in Aus are nothing to do with what the car is worth. They're set at the level the market will bear and we're known as a high margin market. given the low volume of these that are coming in I don't think Ford wil have any trouble shifting them. It also has the advantage that the new 2013 model can be advertised at a lower price than the outgoing model.
If Ford sell the new model for less than the outgoing model, what does that do for the poor people who've just shelled out their $50k for the Titanium Kuga? They'll be worth nothing.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #106
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
If Ford sell the new model for less than the outgoing model, what does that do for the poor people who've just shelled out their $50k for the Titanium Kuga? They'll be worth nothing.
Ask the people who shelled out full whack for any of the cars I mentioned to see them slashed a few months later for their view.

The original launch for the 01 Mustang priced it at $85-95k but most were sold for considerably less.

The Focus CC dropped almost $10k after 6 months on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

The VW Tiguan (that has 4 engine options and starts at under 40 grand) needs to be added to the chart, as do the Koreans (That also have multiple engine options and longer warranty).

A base model of $40+k is not a good starting point as well IMO - and others it seems.
The Tiguan isn't in the same category which is why it wasn't included - nor is the CX-5 for whoever was asking. I actually included the top selling models in that class.

The only cars not included in the chart that are in the same VFacts class are the following:

Great Wall X200 - cheap but hardly in the same league
Great Wall X240 - ditto
Honda CR-V - probably a worthy competitor but only holds 2% share of the segment
Jeep Cherokee - hardly relevant
Kia Sportage - holds a 5% share but is hardly a leading light
Mitsubishi Outlander - at 7.5% it might have been worth including
Peugeot 4007 - ugly, French and sells in two digits (probably for those reasons)
Renault Koleos - ditto except marginally less ugly
Skoda Octavia Scout - sells even less than the two French things
Suzuki Grand Vitara - at 4.5% share it's hardly serious either.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #107
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What class is the CX5 in? It is in between the Kuga and the rest in the chart in terms of size. The CX5 has an overall length of 4,540mm and an overall width of 1,840mm. The Kuga is 4443mm long and 1842mm wide.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #108
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

And I'm not 'knocking the product' at all. I'm doing what any other consumer would do... look at the options, specs and price of a bunch of vehicles in the same segment and use that info to scrutinise the best deal. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure that the Kuga is a great package, but with the amount of alternatives out there it isn't starting its model run on its best feet.

Carry on.......
All they need to do is have a test drive and they will buy it, its a better car to drive than its competitors. Same goes for a lot of Ford vehicles, if people would just get in and have a drive they would sell a lot more than what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Surely they must know their is an all new Kuga coming next year?

But anyway, manufacturers cutting the cost of the latest model is happening a lot lately, so Ford are definately not alone in doing it. The higher aussie dollar is behind it. Jeep Grand Cherokee was about 10k cheaper than previous wasn't it?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #109
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
What class is the CX5 in? It is in between the Kuga and the rest in the chart in terms of size. The CX5 has an overall length of 4,540mm and an overall width of 1,840mm. The Kuga is 4443mm long and 1842mm wide.
It's actually an interesting question. It hasn't been in the sales charts the last few months and the new one is not due until March but as they realigned all the SUV classes this year it will probably be difficult for them!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #110
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda are running coming soon ads for the CX5...why isn't FORD for KUGA or FG2 ???????????????
Old 22-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #111
ea_boss_05

Saw a tuck load going into the Ford factory today.
ea_boss_05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post