Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #241
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 4cyl Falcon - Who will buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Not defending or attacking Prius or falcon, but more Prius' sold in US last year than all Ford and Holden sales in Aus last year.

(Must be something in EV sales in the future it is all i am saying.)
Given me an f'cken break!!! You're trying to compare qty sold of cars in asia or US with ones in Australia?? Get real!!

Have you tryed comparing PRius Australia sales to Ford Australia sales?? Or Prius USA sales to Ford USA sales?? Try compareing like for like & we might take you seriously!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #242
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If you want to see EV sales in Australia, look at sales figures of Prius, Civic Hybrid, Insight and now the new Honda CR-Z.

Though I reckon its worth looking into, as the technology will only improve as time goes on. Maybe if they put pen to paper now, or put a small research team onto the idea they might have something great in 10-15 years time?

I'm sure the Falcon could benefit from a small electric motor to assist the engine from a complete stop at traffic lights etc as thats when you use the most fuel. Thats what Honda's IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) technology does.

Or a move to a 36/48V electrical system, because the more voltage you have, the less current you need which means thin wires, there would be a weight saving there, also HIDs use less current than traditional halogen lights while being a hell of a lot brighter and more focused beam, less energy needed by electrics means less strain on the alternator and a fuel saving, every little bit helps. Also HIDs have a lot longer life time than Halogens, I think its around 1000 hours of operating time before they start colour shifting enough to need to be changed, they don't blow, they shift up the temperature range slowly, so a 4300K light (OEM colour, not blue but white, closer to halogen light look) might be at around 6000K (blue tinge) after 100 hours and lose some of its luminosity rather than just blowing.

Mind you with a 4 cylinder engine, its also easier to turn over, so you don't need a bigger battery, weight saving measure there too.

I think that Ford needs to look "outside the box". We've been speaking to our TAFE teachers and they reckon the 48V electrical system will be the next major change the automotive industry will see.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #243
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
We've been speaking to our TAFE teachers and they reckon the 48V electrical system will be the next major change the automotive industry will see.
just need to look at the advances in electric forklifts... theyre doing 80v ones now.

of course i dunno how a car will handle with a 1200kg+ battery in it lol
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #244
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
just need to look at the advances in electric forklifts... theyre doing 80v ones now.

of course i dunno how a car will handle with a 1200kg+ battery in it lol
Haha, battery wouldn't be that big, it could be a bunch of smaller 12V batteries hooked up in series or in one casing with one pair of terminals using multiple cells.
Old 27-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #245
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Given me an f'cken break!!! You're trying to compare qty sold of cars in asia or US with ones in Australia?? Get real!!

Have you tryed comparing PRius Australia sales to Ford Australia sales?? Or Prius USA sales to Ford USA sales?? Try compareing like for like & we might take you seriously!!

ok.

More Prius sold in california, (pop the size of aus), than all holden and ford combined numbers in aus for 2011.

Ford Aus with no EV strategy? Recipe for oblivion......
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #246
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
ok.

More Prius sold in california, (pop the size of aus), than all holden and ford combined numbers in aus for 2011.

You did it AGAIN!!! Compare Prius California to cars sold in California for God sake!!! Australia is not California, it is Australia..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #247
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EV is not suited for aus roads, dispersed population and we dont have the electricity infrastructure built to support it, unlike California.

Cant we please stop harping on about a pure EV falcon? Its a needless waste that ford Australia cant afford. I doubt their RnD can afford to do it.

Beside Ecoboost and Hybrids are just around the corner, as well as diesel motors.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #248
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EVs also make no sense in Australia due to the way we make power. Coal power stations, I mean really? They're the dirtiest, most pollutant way to produce power there is, yet here we are.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #249
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly. Unless the people pushing for a stronger EV presence here think we are going to exclusively charge the cars on 'Green' Solar Power...
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #250
z80
Banned

Anyone living in Tasmania would charge their EV on 100% renewable hydroelectric power.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #251
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If a Volt can do 60 Km on electricity and an EcoLPI uses 7 litres of gas over the same period,
then the best Volt can achieve is $5/ trip advantage over an EcoLPI, barely $25/week
With 50% depreciation over a given time, the Volt loses $33,000 while the EcoLPI loses $20,000

I think anyone buying a Volt is doing it to take a moral stand and will be chasing losses.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #252
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm not talking EV, I'm talking electric motor assist, rather than being able to run purely on an electric motor.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #253
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'm not talking EV, I'm talking electric motor assist, rather than being able to run purely on an electric motor.
More like a passive hybrid with regenerative braking and launch assist?

Yeah, i can see that being a big help and like most things, it's the degree of hybrid, how much is needed?

GM have a system called E-assist which is GEN II of their earlier BAS system with a
larger alternator come starter motor driven by a wide belt and a higher capacity battery.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #254
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
ok.

FoA are evaluating the possibility of selling the Focus EV, and they also will have the option of a Mondeo hybrid too considering its twin the Fusion has a hybrid version.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #255
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The sales are mostly to people with a moral agenda, people who like
to drive at over 70 mph down the LA freeway pool lane guilt free..
exactly. and when they get home, they park in the garage next to the hummer!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #256
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
ok.

Population of California is 37.5 million, Australia 22 million. so about 1.7 times as many people.

Your point is still valid, but less so.