Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #61
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Default Re: Police damage car?

He's lucky they didn't kick the **** out of him.

As much as its a pain in the ***, move on in life and notch this one up to experience, I'm sure he will endure much more pain than this.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #62
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Another storm in a tea cup police thread. Third hand information, only one side of the story and already people want to hang some copper.

How about the person involved go to his local police station, ask to speak to a supervisor. If he is not satisfied ask to speak to what ever body in your state takes complaints for matters relating to police. Nice and simple, and you will get logical correct answers and not a bunch of cop bashing hysterics.

I personally would not touch someones vehicle. If I needed something moved etc including opening the bonnet, I would ask the owner to do it.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #63
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst it is a crappy situation, and certainly not a great way to have your first taste of the law, what does he hope to achieve?

Does he think by complaining the cop will come out, apologise, pay for the intake to be fixed and buy him a beer?

$88 fine sucks, but it's a tank of fuel, so I wouldn't dwell on it.

If he gets upset and wants to go to court etc, he'd be looking at a lot more hurt than it's worth.

Risk Vs Reward does not stack up in his favour unfortuantely.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #64
IJG033
Craazzee Barstard

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Dave is an absolute wealth of knowlege.. GT stuff. 

Know the Rules , Know Your Rights , Record Officer & their Details & Notify them of it as they do you ,

I Find 99.9% of Cops have NO IDEA when it comes to defecting cars & to ME it Shouldn't be Their right to Do so WITHOUT have Authorised RTA Inspector with them , How can Cops put Defects on Cars when they Didn't Spend 4 years Becoming a Mechanic & getting a licence to be Authorised to Work on them , So What would they KNOW ,

Mechanics Should Legally be able to Defect Cars & RTA Inspectors Only , To many cars leave Licenced Workshops that are Just Totally Illegal when the Customer doesn't want to Fix their car , ie Tyres , Broken lights , Brake & Suspension issues , But the Mechanic has to let the Defective car back on the Roads .
IJG033 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #65
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJG033

I Find 99.9% of Cops have NO IDEA when it comes to defecting cars & to ME it Shouldn't be Their right to Do so WITHOUT have Authorised RTA Inspector with them , How can Cops put Defects on Cars when they Didn't Spend 4 years Becoming a Mechanic & getting a licence to be Authorised to Work on them , So What would they KNOW ,

Police in Victoria can undertake courses to educate themselves on some basic visual safety inspections of vehicles. Areas such as vehicle heights, tyre tread depth etc. Using their acquired knowledge they can remove off the roads unsafe vehicles. If there are multiple faults or areas they are not certain of they can direct the owner to a qualified mechanic to undergo a road worthy inspection.

I would agree not all police would know how to correctly check a vehicle, but I would strongly disagree with your figure of 99.9% being ignorant.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #66
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

TMU police are educated for some of the basic roadworthy requirements, but a canary can be issued on any car by any policeman if they believe something is not correct, it is then up to the roadworthy tester to confirm whether or not it is roadworthy, unfortunately for the owner this means a time and money outlay.

Again, unfortunately, this is part of playing with modified cars

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #67
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
manufacturers build their cars to meet emission and ADR standards, so it will not be a problem on a car that is built by the manufacturer, but the same system would not automatically be legal on another car
If the car in question is the same body and adr levels then it should be legal assuming it meets requirements . changing to a pod may be about performance or cost or availability but not all three so it may well be legal after all the ticket was the coppers opinion and not law or proven to be
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #68
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJG033
Know the Rules , Know Your Rights , Record Officer & their Details & Notify them of it as they do you ,

Mechanics Should Legally be able to Defect Cars & RTA Inspectors Only , To many cars leave Licenced Workshops that are Just Totally Illegal when the Customer doesn't want to Fix their car , ie Tyres , Broken lights , Brake & Suspension issues , But the Mechanic has to let the Defective car back on the Roads .
If police suspect the car is dangerous or unroadworthy they defect the car, so a mechanic has to check the car. The mecahnic has the final say if the police officer is correct.

A defect is not a mechanical opinion its an opinion of the officer to say that they think the car is unroadworthy or not safe and needs to be checked by a mechanic.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #69
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
If the car in question is the same body and adr levels then it should be legal assuming it meets requirements . changing to a pod may be about performance or cost or availability but not all three so it may well be legal after all the ticket was the coppers opinion and not law or proven to be
unless it was the same engine type, no it would not be unless it was put through emission testing, that's my understanding, but I'm not part of the departments that look after emission or adr standards.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #70
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Another storm in a tea cup police thread. Third hand information, only one side of the story and already people want to hang some copper.

How about the person involved go to his local police station, ask to speak to a supervisor. If he is not satisfied ask to speak to what ever body in your state takes complaints for matters relating to police. Nice and simple, and you will get logical correct answers and not a bunch of cop bashing hysterics.

I personally would not touch someones vehicle. If I needed something moved etc including opening the bonnet, I would ask the owner to do it.

Good luck.
What, you think the bloke bent his own airbox?

Regardless of wether the airbox is legal or not the officer should not be able to do that type of damage. If he wanted a closer inspection he should have given a defect notive and allowed a skilled person to open the lid.

If the vehicle was allowed to be driven home i would say it was alot more dangerous/ineffective in the condition the cop left it than before so that is hypocritical in itself.

The car wasnt given a defect notice as this would expose the cop for what he really is should a mechanic find it legal.

And if making a complaint against a cop leaves you in fear of reprocussions then it says a bit about the people up holding the law in this country.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #71
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Mate get your brother to go and see the officers supervisor about what happened. All these people saying they will give you grief, how many of you have actually done this?
when i was in cairns last i got pulled over because on the system it said i had no manual licence, anyway i have a manual licence and they couldn't get me for anything so they got me for a 20c piece of reflective material missing on my numberplate. They did this purely because they couldn't get me for anything else.

Anyway long story short i went to the officers station straight away after i left the pursuit car and had a nice civil word with the senior SGT. long story short i got an apology and the fine was taken away.

he has nothing to lose by just going and having a word with someone, most cops are not as bad as you all think they are. sure this one may be bad but the repercussions from something like this is massive for him and nil for your brother.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #72
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
What, you think the bloke bent his own airbox?

Regardless of wether the airbox is legal or not the officer should not be able to do that type of damage. If he wanted a closer inspection he should have given a defect notive and allowed a skilled person to open the lid.

If the vehicle was allowed to be driven home i would say it was alot more dangerous/ineffective in the condition the cop left it than before so that is hypocritical in itself.

The car wasnt given a defect notice as this would expose the cop for what he really is should a mechanic find it legal.

And if making a complaint against a cop leaves you in fear of reprocussions then it says a bit about the people up holding the law in this country.
I think you need to read my post again.

I am impartial to both parties in this story. Don't forget when an accusation is made the other party is innocent until proven guilty. And if your level of proof rests with a picture of damage and no direct evidence of who actually damaged the air box other than here say then I think you were not listening during year 11 legal studies.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #73
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
If it's factory, it's legal. More or less. As long as you don't put it on another car in the range which it didn't come out with. I found that out quite some years back with tinted headlight covers on a VC Commodore...the police weren't interested that HDT was putting them on the SS...the copper said "So is this an SS?"..."No"..."Then take them off..."

There's some things that are gray areas...when we had our Landcruiser we heard from owners of new Nissan Patrols that had been given infringement notices about the rear spare tyre mount possibly obscuring the licence plate from one side view, meaning cameras couldn't see the licence plate, which comes under "obscuring the licence plate" regulations. The spare wheel mount is a factory fitment, there's nowhere else it can be mounted, and every Patrol has the same fitment...but if you get the wrong copper on the wrong day, it's illegal...

I would imagine with the pod filter that it doesn't matter that a GT has it standard...the car he was driving isn't a GT, so didn't come out standard with that fitted.
I think what he's getting at is what would happen if the cop is unaware of the pod filter being factory on the new FPV's. Or the supercharger for that matter??

Is there anything in the owners manual that mentions the pod filter? There must be a pic of the engine bay in there which you could show the cops on the spot. I'll check tonight when I get home.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post