Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
david256

Default AU V8 starting issues

My starting issues have been going on for weeks, but intermittently, originally I thought it was battery so replaced with an Optima Blue Top, then I thought was the Alternator not charging the battery fully over a trip the battery was running down. btw the Old Alternator was dropping down to 12.5-12.6 volts under load so it was almost knacked.

Thought everything was good for a week or so but now its returned.

When the car is cold it starts straight away 19/20 times, but if I do a short trip or turn the car off immediately the car won't restart all you hear is the starter relay clicking, which I swapped around just in case this was causing the issue. But if I do a longer trip the car starts almost every time until the car starts to cool then starts playing up until I've left it for a while.

I was thinking it was Smartlock as I would need to leave it for 30-90 minutes before it would restart, but I would assume the issue would be there all the time whether hot or cold, also doesn't effect if I give it a whack. Does anyone have an idea what the cost of a re-manufactured BEM costs from Repco or Bursons etc.

I'm now thinking its the starter or starter solenoid just not sure how temperature would effect either.

Any thoughts before I spend some more money.

Thanks in advance.

david256 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 
Default Re: AU V8 starting issues

If the starter relay is clicking on and off, then it only leaves two things that i can think of... Starter motor, inhibitor switch?

Take a long bit of wood with you or something next time, and when it does it, get someone to hold the key on and bang the wood on the starter motor solonoid and see if it starts cranking.

Similarillly with inhibitor switch, when it does it, put it in neutral and try again, move it around a little and so on.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
david256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 ED
Similarillly with inhibitor switch, when it does it, put it in neutral and try again, move it around a little and so on.
Thanks for the reply.

I think the inhibitor switch is ok, I've tried moving the gear shift around and it doesn't help. Also after I've left the car for a bit it cranks without touching the gear shift.

The car has done almost 200k and the starter would be the original, I can almost predict when its going to play up, when its cold or cooling.

I've been charging the battery while I've been playing around, the voltage drops pretty rapidly when I turn the key and nothing happens.

I was thinking Smart Lock wasn't the issue because the starter relay is clicking and it doesn't play up when its warm.

I'm thinking of getting a starter from Rockauto a Pure Energy for $160 inc shipping, I bought one of their Pure Energy Alternators and happy with the quality, any other suggestions? (besides ebay)
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

My bet is on the starter motor.

Apart from that i dont really have any suggestions, im pretty sure ford want like $1200 for one or some rediculously expensive amount lol.

Starter motors are rather commen to play up with heating/cooling of it.

The only thing i could think to tell you to do, to make 100% sure it is the starter motor, is to pull the trigger wire off the starter motor, and push another wire on with it that you could then attached to a test light, of course carefully routed away from exhaust and so on.

That way, when it does it, if your turning the key and the test light is lighting up, then 100% the starter motor is faulty.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
david256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 ED
That way, when it does it, if your turning the key and the test light is lighting up, then 100% the starter motor is faulty.
Thanks I'll give that a try.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
david256

Picked up a new starter today from Bursons for $130 using my mates account, fitted and the car is running great again.

Thanks 5.0 ED