Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Dustproof

Default TDCi possible turbo problem

Hi Guy's,

When I start the engine and start driving up the road there is a clunk that comes from the front, my other LT TDCi did it and so does my new LV. A couple of times now when taking off instead of a solid clunk as normal it sounds like something it rubbing the turbo veins. When it is warm it is OK but when it is cold or has cooled off for a couple of hours it might do it.

Does anyone else have this happen? I am thinking I might need to call Ford, it is just a weird problem. My thoughts are that the clunk is a stall system for the Turbo until oil pressure is well and truly up, once going it all works fine.

Noel

Old 16-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
rand0mn00b

Default Re: TDCi possible turbo problem

is that the clunk that happens once when your speeds hits 20KM/H?

if so, that's the ABS/ESP sensor of sorts kicking in. it happens on my Petrol focus and when the noise wasn't a solid clunk as you describe the ABS sensor/tone wheel was damaged

took a few visits to the dealer to get it sorted but in the end they replaced the entire hub assembly

hope this helps
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
is that the clunk that happens once when your speeds hits 20KM/H?

if so, that's the ABS/ESP sensor of sorts kicking in. it happens on my Petrol focus and when the noise wasn't a solid clunk as you describe the ABS sensor/tone wheel was damaged

took a few visits to the dealer to get it sorted but in the end they replaced the entire hub assembly

hope this helps
The clunk is not big solid noise, it is as I approach 20Kph and is more like a tap but a solid tap. My LT TDCi did it and the LV auto I have now does it too, it is just that sometimes it sounds like something is rubbing. It happens as I start off on a slope and foot off the throttle as I pass 15 to 20kph, it doesn't do it when I take off on the flat, this is why I thought it might be a turbo problem.

It would make sense to be an ABS thing as you mentioned, when driving off on a slope I am probably on the brakes and it is on a curve so it could be what you have mentioned. I will pay a bit more attention next time to see if I am on the brakes or not as this could make it worse and be the noise I am hearing.

Knowing me I am probably being paranoid about noises, I am usually OK when I know what the noise is. I hadn't thought of the ABS.

Noel
Old 17-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know in the XR5's there's a clunk at about 20km/h which is the reverse gear lockout. but they're manual cars and you say it's happening in an auto??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
rand0mn00b

on or off brakes makes no difference to me happens once i hit 20KM/H for the first time until I re-start the car

yes it's a subtle but noticeable noise
Old 17-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
on or off brakes makes no difference to me happens once i hit 20KM/H for the first time until I re-start the car

yes it's a subtle but noticeable noise
I spoke to my dealer service dept about this noise not long after I took delivery of my LV and was told similar to what you said in your first post regarding the ABS sensors, they classified it as an ABS cyclic testing sequence, my son has just purchased a new WRX and it does exactly the same thing at around 20km/h. Each time you switch off the engine and lock your car and then return to it unlock it, restart it and take off again it will usually do the same thing when it reaches around 20km/h.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Dustproof

It seems to have been the ABS, I am used to the VR and VS commodore where you feel the Brake Peddle pulse, then you know it has initialized. I tried it today, running off down the slope off the brakes and it was quite, just the normal clunk. I am relieved it is not a turbo problem, they can be costly.

Thanks for all your input guy's
Old 18-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
rand0mn00b

good to hear

well do still keep an ear out for it. if it doesn't sound right something could be damaged

the first couple of times it happened to me i didn't do anything about it and eventually it worsens to the point where a warning light appears

the third and final time it started happening i booked it into the dealer fairly soon after and they were able to see it deteriorate and resolve the issue