Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
midnightXR6

Default Projector Headlamps

Searching ebay for all things Falcon related and found these.

Now i fancy projecotr headlamps but why oh why do these companies persist on making headlamps look **** by adding DRl strips.

If it wasnt for this and the main beam section was larger id have them.

But the designer has just lost the plot with that strip. I dont want to copy Audi with the light strip as it says on the add lol.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...item2313ffaef9

midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
kempy311
BEN

Default Re: Projector Headlamps

Im waiting for this guy to bring them out for the fg.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Cheech
HELL YES

You might be able to retro fit some FGII lights to yours.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
kempy311
BEN

Yer but they dont have drls in them.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightXR6
why do these companies persist on making headlamps look **** by adding DRl strips.
i agree it looks crap, but not just the DRL, but also a square light next a round one?
Old 16-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wonder what they perform like!! LOL.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

You can buy kits to add HID projectors to your headlights and make them look like this.

Last edited by MAD; 16-09-2011 at 12:24 PM.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
You can buy kits to add HID projectors to your headlights and make them look like this.
Thats a HID projector, show some shots of your EL's cut-off from your project thread.

I wonder if the ones in that ebay link are Halogen projectors or HIDs?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
BFZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Thats a HID projector, show some shots of your EL's cut-off from your project thread.

I wonder if the ones in that ebay link are Halogen projectors or HIDs?
The ones in the link are halogens.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm, not really a fan of HID, i had them on the xr , but i did`nt like the annoying delay in them reaching full brightness on high beam, bit of a pain if you blow a globe too, i give them the kyber and put + 90`s back in.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
MAD
Petro-sexual

Those ebay ones are definitley halogen.

Output from the BA HID retrofit. (The required components for this can be had for US$270 plus postage from www.theretrofitsource.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
hmmm, not really a fan of HID, i had them on the xr , but i did`nt like the annoying delay in them reaching full brightness on high beam, bit of a pain if you blow a globe too, i give them the kyber and put + 90`s back in.
Having HID high beam is a bit of a waste unless you know you wont be passing any cars for a long period of time.
With the projectors I used on the BA retrofit, they act as both low and high beam. The bulb never goes out, a solenoid changes the output. So there's no warmup for high beam. The only warmup is when you first turn them on.

Replacing a bulb is a little bit of a bugger as I dont think many shops carry after market replacements. But they have a much longer life than a halogen globe anyway.
Old 16-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you can`t get the same brand and you buy another, it might be some mucking around, after a ballast blew i bought a whole new set to keep some for spares and replace the one only to find the fittings where different, that was enough for me, ..................but nice job on the candles Mad, i like your projectors.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
midnightXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Where did you get them and have you done a how to on fitting them?
midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Careful...there's a couple of ADR's you'll contravene about not fitting HID's to vehicles not fitted with them from the factory.

Spotlight kits are a different matter...but the ADR's say headlight units must also have headlight washer units to prevent light scatter and glare to other drivers. Basically, they have to be factory.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars...ets/headlights
Quote:
Aftermarket halogen to HID conversions are available however their use on a road registered vehicle will generally result in contravention of the relevant ADRs. Typically these ‘conversions’ comprise ballasts, wiring and HID globes that plug straight into the existing lamp.

Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78. Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly.

In addition, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. These simple retro conversions don’t provide these features and are therefore illegal for road use and are likely to be excessively glary to other road users.

If the vehicle manufacturer offered optional HID lights for a particular model then retrofitting the complete system including lamps, globes and the features required by ADR 13 to that model should be acceptable. But ‘grafting’ a full system between models or makes would impose performance certification requirements in the new application and is unlikely to be viable.
Sorry about that...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Projector Headlamps

Does that also mean that if you put H4s into
a car that came out with sealed beams
as in changing a 60s Mustang to RHD lights
or up grading your XK globes to H4s
would be illegal
doesnt make sense to me
does someone know the answer
this would stir up a very large can of worms
Thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #16
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightXR6
Where did you get them and have you done a how to on fitting them?
You can get them from www.theretrofitsource.com. They have a how-to on their website, they also have a forum www.hidplanet.com which is where I did most of my research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Careful...there's a couple of ADR's you'll contravene about not fitting HID's to vehicles not fitted with them from the factory.

Spotlight kits are a different matter...but the ADR's say headlight units must also have headlight washer units to prevent light scatter and glare to other drivers. Basically, they have to be factory.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars...ets/headlights

Sorry about that...
Any light source with an output over 2000 lumen, iirc, so even some high powered halogen bulbs at a minimum need to have headlight washers and auto leveling. But even fitting these items will not make them "ADR approved". They might comply with the relevant ADR's but there is extensive testing that needs to be performed before they could be approved. The same goes for just about any headlight modification, even adding angel eyes depending on how they are wired and when they are used.
Old 17-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #17
Chargd

is there anything for e series like this?
Chargd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargd
is there anything for e series like this?
Not really. The plastic lenses are the problem as they have all those vertical lines in them. (not sure what they are called but I've seen them referred to as flutes)
If you fit a projector to a headlight with a fluted lens, the output will be scattered. Projectors need to be fitted behind a clear lens. If you check out my build thread and my headlight retrofit thread you'll see what I had to go through to get the lenses clear.

Once I get a few things finished at home, I'm going to be looking in to getting clear lenses made specifically for this purpose.
Old 17-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Chargd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Not really. The plastic lenses are the problem as they have all those vertical lines in them. (not sure what they are called but I've seen them referred to as flutes)
If you fit a projector to a headlight with a fluted lens, the output will be scattered. Projectors need to be fitted behind a clear lens. If you check out my build thread and my headlight retrofit thread you'll see what I had to go through to get the lenses clear.

Once I get a few things finished at home, I'm going to be looking in to getting clear lenses made specifically for this purpose.
yeh i seen your build and im jealous , was more meaning is there any companies who manufacture them, if your making them im keen to pay
Old 18-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No problem fitting, say, H4's into something older...they're the same bulb (an updated design) in the same design headlight, just brighter output.

A HID light however is a different kettle of fish...it's a massive more intense light source, meant to be concentrated on the specifically-for-HID designed reflector in a different way. The old halogen light bulbs scatter the beam from the bulb in every direction, which is then concentrated and focussed by the reflector, instead of being projected like a designed-from-the-factory HID setup. That means if you put a HID "bulb" in a standard headlight, the reflector isn't designed to work with the way they produce light, and it just scatters. It's even worse if it's an older car with a glass headlight lens with the pattern of moulded in lines and light guides in the glass to make the beam a certain shape. That's also why cars that have HID's from the factory have standard washers as well...there is a higher risk of beam scattering and glare with some bugs and dirt on the lens, blinding oncoming drivers, than you get from "ordinary" headlights, even with brighter H4 bulbs.

The ADR's aren't there to be spoilsports...they're there to help stop people doing the wrong, unsafe, thing.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #21
Chargd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
No problem fitting, say, H4's into something older...they're the same bulb (an updated design) in the same design headlight, just brighter output.

A HID light however is a different kettle of fish...it's a massive more intense light source, meant to be concentrated on the specifically-for-HID designed reflector in a different way. The old halogen light bulbs scatter the beam from the bulb in every direction, which is then concentrated and focussed by the reflector, instead of being projected like a designed-from-the-factory HID setup. That means if you put a HID "bulb" in a standard headlight, the reflector isn't designed to work with the way they produce light, and it just scatters. It's even worse if it's an older car with a glass headlight lens with the pattern of moulded in lines and light guides in the glass to make the beam a certain shape. That's also why cars that have HID's from the factory have standard washers as well...there is a higher risk of beam scattering and glare with some bugs and dirt on the lens, blinding oncoming drivers, than you get from "ordinary" headlights, even with brighter H4 bulbs.

The ADR's aren't there to be spoilsports...they're there to help stop people doing the wrong, unsafe, thing.
is it possible to change the h1 to h4 in ef gli? like change looms or is it more complicated?