Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Victoria to get more mobile speed cameras at night

http://www.caradvice.com.au/135600/v...erals-inquiry/

Quote:
Victoria to get more mobile speed cameras at night following Auditor-General’s inquiry
By Tim Beissmann | August 31st, 2011

More mobile speed cameras will be deployed on Victoria’s roads at night as a result of the Auditor-General’s largely positive inquiry into the effectiveness of cameras in improving road safety.

Victorian Auditor-General, Des Pearson, said there were discernible patterns to the deployment of mobile cameras at night as well as gaps in their coverage that needed to be amended.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Neville Taylor reacted swiftly to Mr Pearson’s recommendations, vowing to deploy more cameras at night in accordance with the report’s findings.

Overall, the ‘Road Camera Safety Program: Victorian Auditor-General’s Report’ found Victoria’s speed cameras and red-light cameras were being used primarily to improve road safety.

“Any program that aims to deter dangerous and risky behaviour through the use of fines will generate revenue, but this is demonstrably not the primary purpose of the road safety camera program,” the report said.

Mr Pearson said more needed to be done to strengthen the public’s perception of the integrity and purpose of speed cameras. He suggested this could be achieved through greater public education as well as regular independent testing of fixed and mobile cameras.

“While there can be no absolute guarantee over the accuracy of any system, the processes and controls in place provide a particularly high level of confidence in the reliability and integrity of the road safety camera system.”

Mr Pearson’s inquiry was different in nature to the one conducted by New South Wales Auditor-General, Peter Achterstraat.

Mr Achterstraat’s report, published late last month, found 38 of the NSW Government’s 141 fixed speed cameras were doing little to enhance road safety. Roads Minister Duncan Gay switched off all 38 cameras on the morning of the report’s release.

Some statistics from Mr Pearson’s report:

* In 2010, there were 4503 crashes on public roads in Victoria that resulted in fatalities or serious injuries, including 288 deaths

* Road trauma costs the Victorian economy an estimated $3.8 billion per year

* Speeding is identified as the primary cause of about one third of road casualties each year

* Crashes at major metropolitan intersections account for around 20 per cent of all fatal and serious injury crashes

* In the 2009-2010 financial year, 1.3 million fines were issued for speeding and red-light offences in Victoria, amounting to $211.3 million in revenue, which was 0.47 per cent of the total general government revenue for 2009-2010
Old 31-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Victoria to get more mobile speed cameras at night

The amount of money wasted on speed cameras is out of proportion to other road safety measures...
Old 31-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They've been putting them here in early morning when its pitch black and during night already.

It made me laugh, I was cruising to work, before daylight and it was like night time, so basically everyone needed lights on.

I was leading, there where probably a good 10+ cars behind me, including my old man going to his work, anyways I turned on my highbeams and driving lights and unintentionally completely lit up a mobile speed camera car hiding there.

The old man had a good laugh about it when we got home.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
GunmetalFox

whats the go with the "road safety cameras" on the Hume Fwy north of melbn are they switched on like in NSW or are they switched off because of the audit that was carried out on them..?
GunmetalFox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalFox
whats the go with the "road safety cameras" on the Hume Fwy north of melbn are they switched on like in NSW or are they switched off because of the audit that was carried out on them..?
Switched off as they are not accurate enough. Its been mayhem since they turned them off! They are loosing millions and the carnage has increased naught fold.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I read that as saying "we have noticed that we don't do enough revenue raising at night to cover all of our overspending screw ups, so its about time we tapped the motorists for more cash".
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
Bobman
Regulator

Just think of the money wasted on this (in wages also). Night-time rates + penalties for someone sitting in the car.

Then look at those who have real jobs and only earn $15 an hour or think of all the hospital beds you could buy with the wages of camera operators each year.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They found a gap in the market. They are setting up cameras at night to improve there profits like any good business would.

Oh wait, I mean safety yeah I feel safer already. The drunk guy coming towards me or the guy who is falling asleep at the wheel wil only have a head on with me at the speed limit. YAY

Let's put it this way. I drive on Friday or Saturday nights 3 times a month. Last time I came across an RBT would of been the 10th December 2010 at 1:30am

Last edited by Ben73; 01-09-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
GunmetalFox

Yes all Very true gentleman, i live in the North East of Vic and work in the South West, so that means a 5hour drive every second weekend (10days on 4 Days off), some nights its just me and the truck drivers which are apparently 100kph speed limited so that must mean my speado is waaay out as i have had them overtake me at 115kph before, and then theres the car full of drunks/idiots/hero's that think because i am driving a XR8 i would like to race them, and sadly they are not all Holden drivers
GunmetalFox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post