Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
brendan88

Default K&N for LV XR5t

Hey i was just wondering if anyone has bought one and whether its even worth buying?

brendan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: K&N for LV XR5t

Nope, well yeah they are ok, but it still retains the factory airbox, better off getting something like a simota (I have one) or if the budget will stretch go a Dreamscience or GGR intake.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the same filter that's used for the standard Focus. E-2993 is the code you're looking for. Make sure it's a cylinder rather than a panel.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?prod=e-2993

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the same one they use in the TDCI,. Which no after market people make in Australia. Cost about $40 from Ford
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
It's the same filter that's used for the standard Focus. E-2993 is the code you're looking for. Make sure it's a cylinder rather than a panel.
Incorrect, it is a panel type filter - completely different to anything in other Focus'.

It is the same as what's used in the current Volvo S30/40 5 cyl vehicles. 33-2873.

I agree with DJ though, something like a Simota will help no end, a bit more of an outlay but well worth it.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mistake, I was thinking of the RS, which DOES have the cylindrical one.

Old 29-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

I had the KnN in my car for about a year.

Yes the panel filter does work. You will get louder induction noise as well (but not as loud as a full CAI system).

There's a noticeable increase in top end performance

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I have the cylinder type K & N fitted to my Zetec and that along with a sports muffler has made a noticeable difference to the engine, much smoother down low and picks up quicker up top as well. I consider it to be a good cheap upgrade and money well spent
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
I have the cylinder type K & N fitted to my Zetec and that along with a sports muffler has made a noticeable difference to the engine, much smoother down low and picks up quicker up top as well. I consider it to be a good cheap upgrade and money well spent
I've always thought they had to be in a box or enclosed in some sort of form to be legal in Australia...

I suppose you could always say the bonnet is its enclosure though

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
I've always thought they had to be in a box or enclosed in some sort of form to be legal in Australia...

The simota on an XR5T is cylindrical, and its enclosed. Heres mine
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm

Mine is enclosed in the original airbox, the car was fitted with a paper cylinder type filter as standard on my model and the K & N filter (E - 2993) is a direct replacement.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell me a bit about the sports muffler, Russ. After I get the suspension sorted, I'm looking to do something about the exhaust, which will about see me out for mods. The thing is, I'm not sure where to start on the exhaust, what I should be considering etc.

Old 29-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tell me a bit about the sports muffler, Russ. After I get the suspension sorted, I'm looking to do something about the exhaust, which will about see me out for mods. The thing is, I'm not sure where to start on the exhaust, what I should be considering etc.

Mate from what I was advised by the guys in 2 different exhaust shops going any bigger than 2" will not give you any more power but would be louder. I wanted to keep it fairly subtle but with a nice note and no in cabin drone. I only had the rear muffler replaced with a powerflow sports muffler (similar to magnaflow apparently) I was going to have the resonator replaced as well but as I didn't want it loud they suggested I hear it with just the muffler changed first and then if I wanted it done they could do the resonator as well. I was really pleased with the result with just the rear muffler changed and when I asked if I could expect any extra power to be gained by changing the resonator as well they told me no it would only make it louder. Just out of curiosity I dropped into another exhaust place (totally random) on the way home after the install and asked the same question regarding the resonator and any expected performance gains to which he also replied no. He said that the resonators fitted to the Focus and most cars nowadays have very little restriction and are basically a straight through pipe with heaps of fibreglass etc... sound deadening materials fitted internally, the longer the resonator the quieter it makes the system but thats pretty much all they do. Anyway all up it cost me $270 installed which also included a nice stainless tip I selected off the wall in the shop. Obviously gains can be had by fitting high flow cats and a set of headers but from past experience you will probably end up with engine warning lights flashing at you left right and centre if you do, not something I'm prepared to do at this early stage of ownership as I value my new car warranty. Hope this helps you with your decision, if you have any other questions about it PM me if you like. Cheers

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack but as it is still sort of related to the original question it might be helpful to others considering an exhaust upgrade as well.
Old 29-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your input, Russ. Not interested in mega-decibels. The sound of the K&N and my shortened intake give me the right mix: quiet at normal throttle, a bit of a growl when the ankle is flexed some more. A little bit of extra oomph and/or growl would do me, and like you the warranty is still in the back of my mind.

Old 30-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got a quote for $300 for a sports muffler and 2 or 2.25" exhaust in pressed iron. $500 for a stainless steel. Worth the extra? The car does about 180-200km a week, about half of which is only 5-8km trips.

Old 30-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Got a quote for $300 for a sports muffler and 2 or 2.25" exhaust in pressed iron. $500 for a stainless steel. Worth the extra? The car does about 180-200km a week, about half of which is only 5-8km trips.
Mine is in stainless, but they kept the original muffler which was basically new anyway so they could resell it easily. I would go with the stainless if you can afford to but try to get them to throw in a nice stainless tip for that price
Old 30-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, I'm convinced. The stainless should look better for longer, too.

At the rate it's taking the German/Australian postal system to send my Eibach springs, I'll have the exhaust done before the suspension.

Old 30-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
frozen xr5

Quote:
Ok, I'm convinced. The stainless should look better for longer, too.

At the rate it's taking the German/Australian postal system to send my Eibach springs, I'll have the exhaust done before the suspension.
let me guess europeanparts and regular mail? if yes i did the same and it took 7 weeks until i got my springs. i should have paid the extra 20 or 30 euros for the higher priority postage

shane
Old 30-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen xr5
let me guess europeanparts and regular mail? if yes i did the same and it took 7 weeks until i got my springs. i should have paid the extra 20 or 30 euros for the higher priority postage

shane
Yep. 3 weeks and counting. Must be going by rowboat...