Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
dirty_harry

Default car alarms

hey im looking to put a car alarm in my xy gt rep. does anyone know of any decent ones. im looking for one with a immobiliser and it would be handy if it automatically shuts off when im near the car and if someone does break into it it sends alerts to my phone

dirty_harry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: car alarms

Might be an idea to tell us where you live and where you are willing to travel to so someone can answer you properly.

Try here for Sydney http://www.stingraycar.com.au/ he is a forum member and sponsor.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you might also want to consider a gps tracker.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One little tip I read many years ago was to not only have the alarm under the hood, but to see an industrial supply mob and get a high intensity siren to go with it. I remember seeing ones in catalogues at my last job, about the size of a can of Coke, putting out an ear-shattering 140dB.

The trick was, you mount it inside the car...under the seat, hidden up behind the dash, whatever.
The point being, that level of sound is far above mere pain...it's pretty much assured to cause "instant and permanent hearing damage".

If someone has broken into your car, I assure you that with that siren going inside with them, they won't be sitting in there trying to hotwire it or break the steering lock...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_harry
hey im looking to put a car alarm in my xy gt rep. does anyone know of any decent ones. im looking for one with a immobiliser and it would be handy if it automatically shuts off when im near the car and if someone does break into it it sends alerts to my phone
What ever you choose have dual peizzo screamers installed , two will make life inside the car impossible when 1/2 octave apart due to the pulse and have the alarm mounted securely inside the car under a seat of the dash , it costs a little more as does an extra battery but well woth it on a classic .
I fitted a Mongoose internally to my daily bimmer tied into the remote locking doors etc with a secure lock over the boot mounted battery , quite amusing as the alarm says very loudly move awqy from the car in the wifes voice
It also sends me an sms via the carphone if activated
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
One little tip I read many years ago was to not only have the alarm under the hood, but to see an industrial supply mob and get a high intensity siren to go with it. I remember seeing ones in catalogues at my last job, about the size of a can of Coke, putting out an ear-shattering 140dB.

The trick was, you mount it inside the car...under the seat, hidden up behind the dash, whatever.
The point being, that level of sound is far above mere pain...it's pretty much assured to cause "instant and permanent hearing damage".

If someone has broken into your car, I assure you that with that siren going inside with them, they won't be sitting in there trying to hotwire it or break the steering lock...
Would hate if something malfunctioned and it went off while you were in there!
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
Would hate if something malfunctioned and it went off while you were in there!
Well yes...there is that, but how often has your car alarm (a quality one) "accidentally" gone off while you are driving along? I've got on in my Celica (an old one from many years back by the look of it), and it's never gone off by accident.
Only if muggins me actually arms the thing and forgets to disarm it before opening the door...*ahem*...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

A while back, insurance companies where recommending a brand of alarm called 'Brandt' I think?? I heard this brand more than once so perhaps it a decent product??

Agree with the GPS / siren in the cabin as well.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
A while back, insurance companies where recommending a brand of alarm called 'Brandt' I think?? I heard this brand more than once so perhaps it a decent product??

Agree with the GPS / siren in the cabin as well.

Simply has to be a good product with a fine old name like that...and that's all I'm saying...

EDIT: just did a quick google search...there is a brand called "Brant"...I have that problem all the time, people leaving out the "d"...
Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
dirty_harry

sounds good. although i can imagine myself showing someone my car when im ****ed and setting it off.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #11
dirty_harry

after sending a email to mongoose i found out that the m18 http://www.mongoose.com.au/vehicle-s...isers/m18.aspx will automatically arm the alarm and immobiliser if i walk 2 meters away from my car and the VT404 GPS http://www.mongoose.com.au/gps-track...e-tracker.aspx. can be connected up so if the alarm and immobiliser are armed i would get an alert on my phone as well as having the ability to GPS track my car. ive also sent a couple of emails to other alarm companies to see if anyone can do it better