Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Ford buys time on engine deadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas
I'd say the I6 would still have a life past 2015 if only to power a falcon ute , wich i doubt will be included in one fords falcon replacement.
I'm told that regardless of which way Ford jumps for the next gen Falcon, the ute is a goner.

Makes my decision to buy one of the last XR6 Turbo utes much easier...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

All the new regs gaurantee is that Ford will not have to spend a cent getting any future emissions compliance for the I6, as they will do the final upgrade in 2013 before the cut off date for Euro 5, which will mean they can carry on with the Euro 4 I6 until the new Falcon (if it happens) in 2016. They won't need to upgrade to Euro 5, if they want Euro 5 or 6 in the next Falcon it will use the global V6, as Kurack eluded to when he said Ford are switching to global engines now as well as global platforms.

It seems that Ford got in the governments ear about the Euro 5 and 6 deadlines, as reported in the press the local manufacturers were asked to give input on emissions release dates, as it seems it was designed to suit Ford, as the government knows the engine plant is on shaky ground and it will do what they can to keep it going until Ford are ready to go V6.

Its all so obvious when you think about it. Engine plant closure is a lock come 2016, wether their is a new Falcon or not. Accept it.

Ford will not spend money on an orphan engine being made in tiny numbers when its just so easy to go V6.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Engine plant closure is a lock come 2016, wether their is a new Falcon or not. Accept it.
This of course assumes that the plant won't be retasked to do something else.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 17-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #34
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Do the numbers add up? 100,000 engines a year is not a large amount in global terms.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Do the numbers add up? 100,000 engines a year is not a large amount in global terms.
No, but in regional terms it may be and it doesn't necessarily have to manufacture engines. Where are all the Falcon's cast iron and alloy suspension and chassis parts made??

Old 18-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
More like 30,000 these days, a drop in the ocean.

Ohio can make over 1 million per year. Not hard to see the I6 is a pimple on Fords **** that could be so easily replaced.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Like what?

Its unviable to reconfigure it for V6 production. About the only thing its good for is as a warehouse for FCSD, which needs more warehouse space. They couldn't get a buyer for the casting plant.

Or if the Chinese need a truck motor, but that wouldn't happen here, it would be stripped and built over there.

The casting plant make the brake rotors, aluminium casting make some alloy bits but thats located inside the stamping plant. Outside suppliers do most of the other stuff. Without engine blocks and cranks the casting plant is unviable, it can't survive on discs alone. Thats why the Bosch brake rotor contract only goes for 4 years when Bosch wanted 10. Ford know they couldn't continue making rotors if they weren't also casting blocks and cranks in 2016. Its all adding up for an end in 2015/16.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 18-06-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I thought Ford would have accepted Bosch's 10 year contract and sold off their
castings plant as a going concern like they did with the French transmission plant..
I guess there isn't that much need for a castings plant in Australia when you can get most thing cast in India or China for a fraction of the cost.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Rumour was they had a few companies looking to buy it a few years ago, like Interforge, but nothing came of it.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #40
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What happened to that Chinese aircraft tug proposal?

Old 18-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Nothing. Didn't go ahead. Haven't heard anything about the engines that were sent to the US for tree shredders either.
Old 18-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #42
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ohio can make over 1 million per year. Not hard to see the I6 is a pimple on Fords **** that could be so easily replaced.
I meant if they were to ramp it up to full production again. What a shock to the system that would be? ha ha
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #43
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Where else fo Ford make engines in this region? Any chance Ford Aust could be the engine supplier of Ecoboost for this region, if Ford where to spend a little money here?

Wishfully thinking I'm guessing?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #44
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Where else fo Ford make engines in this region? Any chance Ford Aust could be the engine supplier of Ecoboost for this region, if Ford where to spend a little money here?

Wishfully thinking I'm guessing?
Definitely Wishful thinking. The Engine plant isn't set up for machining Alloy, which the EcoBoost engines are made of. That being said, if a Business Case could be made, there is nothing stopping Ford from investing in the facility.

It is a shame that Mr T. is no longer running Ford Australia, as he had some plans in motion regarding Mondeo.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #45
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Definitely Wishful thinking. The Engine plant isn't set up for machining Alloy, which the EcoBoost engines are made of. That being said, if a Business Case could be made, there is nothing stopping Ford from investing in the facility.
Investing in the plant is want I mean... If Ecoboost is to become basicly standed in most/all Fords, they can't be all built in the US. Surely they need Ecoboost engines plants out side of the us?
Old 19-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #46
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Investing in the plant is want I mean... If Ecoboost is to become basicly standed in most/all Fords, they can't be all built in the US. Surely they need Ecoboost engines plants out side of the us?
I reckon any Ecoboost plants outside the U.S would be set up in Asia, for the same reasons that Focus and Fiesta are built there instead of Oz.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ohio has the capacity to build over 1 million V6 engines per year, they don't need to build them anywhere else. That would probably be all the capacity they would need. They wouldn't bother changing the whole engine plant to switch from inline to a V engine for just 30,000 engines a year, and its only capable of making maybe 100,000 a year anyway, so that doesn't give them a whole lot of headroom to supply a whole number of Ford plants in Asia Pacific, but I don't think they have any V6 powered vehicles in the region anyway. Not that I can think of. Europe don't have any V6 powered Fords either I don't think.

Ford want global engines now, so the 3.5 and 3.7 V6's in NA and 3.5Ecoboost form will be the default petrol 6.
Old 19-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #48
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
It is a shame that Mr T. is no longer running Ford Australia, as he had some plans in motion regarding Mondeo.
I had to think for a minute as to who you were talking about. I lol'ed.

Old 19-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #49
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I had to think for a minute as to who you were talking about. I lol'ed.
For those that didn't get the joke, I was talking about Bill Osbourne. He had some very interesting ideas for Broadmeadows.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

FoA actually bid for the V6 contract but lost out to the USA and sadly that was mostly
due to the ill-fated Magnesium plant in Rockhampton falling over before being built.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #51
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ohio has the capacity to build over 1 million V6 engines per year, they don't need to build them anywhere else. That would probably be all the capacity they would need. They wouldn't bother changing the whole engine plant to switch from inline to a V engine for just 30,000 engines a year, and its only capable of making maybe 100,000 a year anyway, so that doesn't give them a whole lot of headroom to supply a whole number of Ford plants in Asia Pacific, but I don't think they have any V6 powered vehicles in the region anyway. Not that I can think of. Europe don't have any V6 powered Fords either I don't think.

Ford want global engines now, so the 3.5 and 3.7 V6's in NA and 3.5Ecoboost form will be the default petrol 6.
Where is the I4 coming from that Falcon is getting? Are they engine plants in Asia-Pac building I4 Ecoboost engines? Surely one country in the Asia-Pac region needs to be building Ecoboost engines? Not saying it will be Australia, but still can't see Ford only building Ecoboost engines in the USA & shipping them to Asia, if Asia is going to be so important for them.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #52
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
For those that didn't get the joke, I was talking about Bill Osbourne. He had some very interesting ideas for Broadmeadows.
Shame on you for telling Jokes we don`t get, but at least you let us in on it.
Old 20-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Where is the I4 coming from that Falcon is getting? Are they engine plants in Asia-Pac building I4 Ecoboost engines? Surely one country in the Asia-Pac region needs to be building Ecoboost engines? Not saying it will be Australia, but still can't see Ford only building Ecoboost engines in the USA & shipping them to Asia, if Asia is going to be so important for them.
Valencia in Spain for the 2 litre Ecoboost, with Cologne, Bridgend UK and a plant in Romania making the smaller 1.6 version.

They will supply them globally, not just for certain divisions. They are not made anywhere else.