Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default The 4 speed auto again...

Hi folks...

I need some help....spooky noises from our Falcon Futura (year 2000, 150000 km on the clock)

It is hard to find a specific answer with the search function but I couldn't find anything so I gave up after an hour.

When I put the auto in reverse and roll out of the garage onto our sloping driveway (left rear spring is pushed together , right rear spring is pulled apart = tilted rear axle) I can hear a knocking noise coming from the transmission. It is a noise with a frequence (something rotating is knocking onto something) and it disappears when I put it in neutral.
When I put it back in gear (reverse) it appears again but then slowly fades out after 20-30 seconds.

Could it be because of the twist in the drivetrain when I roll out of the garage ?
It has done it twice within two weeks now and never before.

It sounds like the ticking noise of a faulty valve hydraulic lifter from the engine with the only difference that it is a knocking noise instead of a ticking noise

If it was something in the engine (crankshaft, camshaft), it would still do it once I put the auto in neutral.

Thanks for any ideas...

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Swedishmoose

Default Re: The 4 speed auto again...

I know it is very hard to reply on something that is related to a noise....no matter how precise it is explained...

Maybe someone has an idea....could it be the torque converter ?

I might record the noise next time and post it here....if someone can explain how I can add an audio file....

Cheers

The Moose
Old 09-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi Moose.

Very difficult to analyse as you suggest. When it is level in the garage (I assume your garage is level) does it do it then, or is only when on the angle? If it is only on the angle, I would be checking the obvious such as the auto trans level. The fact that it goes away could only be an indicator that the fluid is now circulating better.

I would try it when the auto is hot - ie. when you get home from a drive, back it out again - does it do it then, or only when cold?

Failing that, I would have the auto checked by a professional - what is happening now could be causing damage and only be the beginning of bad things to come.

Hope that helps

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day moose, i know of the noise- your description matches mine plus i have a steep driveway too. My noise lasts about five-ten seconds then goes away. As au11ltd said do the things he mentioned plus the other thing is have you noticed any other "quirky" behaviour from the transmission ie: first thing in the morning you go to take off and then a feeling of the handbrake has been released and your au takes off normally? Once my auto is up to operating temp it works well. But yes im a bit concerned about this noise too.

cheers, Maka
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Swedishmoose

Hi there,

I couldn't reply earlier as we had trouble with our internet.

Well, we have a levelled garage floor and the Falcon hasn't made that noise inthe garage.

It only does it when its cold and when a gear is engaged (any gear). If i put it into neutral it disappears and if I engage a gear again the noise re-appears but fades out after a few more seconds.
I have never heard the noise when the transmission had its operation temperature.

It shifts smoothly and nothing else seems to be wrong. Well...where the driveshaft goes into the tranny, the gasket leaks a bit..thats the only thing...so I definately loose some fluid (but not much).

The confusing part is that the Falcon only seems to make that noise on our driveway. It is not just steep (back end of the car lower than the front) , it also twists the rear axle (left rear tyre sits deep in the wheel arch , right rear tyre is way out of the wheel arch). I don't know if that twisting might affect the mechanical parts somehow.

The noise is similar to a ticking noise from a faulty hydraulic valve lifter with the difference that it is not a ticking noise....it is more a knocking noise.
But the noise seems to be generated from some sort of rotation as it has a constant frequency.

It hasn't done it lately and the best thing would be to record an audio file and post it here but I have no clue how to add an audio file to a forum posting.
Does anybody have an idea?

Well...maybe we will find out and if more people have that sort of noise we might be able to figure out what it is and solve the problem.

Thanks again for any replies

The Moose
Old 25-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day Moose,another quirk to check for-shifting from reverse to neutral when cold & warming up, a noise like a moaning/higher pitched woooo ,kind of slight grinding sound that nearly goes away when warmed up. I spoke to the transmission joint that supplied my reco btr and they're going to replace it under warranty-its a box out job to investigate the source of the problem. I'de hate to think the steepness of my driveway (the steep part is about 3 metres long)caused my transmission to cark it after 15,000km of use considering i warm my au up for a few minutes before i reverse out of my driveway and dosent get thrashed when cold or otherwise.I think a steep driveway with a cold gearbox is not a good thing and i guess its more imperative to make sure the oil level in the transmission is also in spec.

cheers Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post