Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
Blue_XR

Default Re: Ford Explorer ruled out for Oz

It's funny how we are all Ford enthusiasts but there is so much this car is better than that.....blah blah blah. I think that the Territory and Explorer (the new one) are good vehicles and would complement each other in the show room. One is a medium size SUV while the other is closer to a full size.

As much as we might go on about gizmos and driving experiences consumers vote with their wallets and they want these things. If they didn't car companies wouldn't be spending the millions of dollars designing these mod cons into their ranges.

Also there is no point in talking about driving experiences when no one here has driven the new explorer. Seeing as it's based on a car platform Im sure it would give a good driving experience, well as much as could be expected from a large SUV.

Go and check the ford US website, the car has a good looking interior and seems to be well designed. There is also a reason that Ford in the US are selling lots of cars.

Now, I hope that the new Territory will make an impact on the market just like it did when it first arrived. FoA need it
Old 15-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #32
Buntz
Straight Eight

Actually it's all SUV the Explorer. And the Taurus is all SUV as well.
Old 15-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #33
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Explorer is 2004mm wide (excluding mirrors), I can only imagine how much fun it would be to park in 99% of carparks here in Australia.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
Buntz
Straight Eight

It's ugly, fat, and of far lesser quality then Territory. If it came to Australia, it'd be living in a bogan suburb, with eight kids. Sitting on patio furniture out the front of the house... making lots of noise, and married to a VT commodore.
Old 15-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #35
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
It's ugly, fat, and of far lesser quality then Territory. If it came to Australia, it'd be living in a bogan suburb, with eight kids. Sitting on patio furniture out the front of the house... making lots of noise, and married to a VT commodore.
Lesser quality than the Territory!!! That is funny. They would be like chalk and cheese if you ask me. My old 96 Taurus was better quality than the Territory... The only going for it sadly is that BEAUTIFUL I6 and people, like me, who like buying Australian cars...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #36
Blue_XR

Quote:

So I'm guessing you have sat inside the new model then?
Old 15-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Explorer Vs Territory:
It's about 125mm wider, and around 200mm longer in the bum but internally it has similar hip,
shoulder and leg room - probably a little bit more cargo room but not much.

D3 has big heavy thick doors, you see it on Taurus and it gives a lot more width to the vehicles
unlike Falcon and territory that now use EUCD slim door technology....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They aren't that bad. What those gizmo's actually do that with Falcon and Territory... is.... work. They just work. They aren't flashy, but they're comprehensive, and give you what you need.

Thats the problem, they just "work", it just doesn't do anything other than tune radio stations which it can only store 6 on each band and play music at an average quality, the stock system sucks, I don't listen to my music very loud, but I like base and treble, which the Falcon and Territory pale in comparison to my Fiesta, which cost $18K and my Focus which cost $26K.

Why no colour touch screen with instant fuel consumption display, 100GB+ HDD to store your music on instead of swapping between MP3 CDs? Reverse camera, GPS and sensors which integrate with the screen etc?

Where is the heated door mirrors? That comes in handy every morning, the Fiesta has that, the Focus doesn't admittedly and either does the Territory, but the Territory is an expensive car even for a base model.

The problem with the whole car is it "just works". Everything is just "That will do" and its all over the car.

The Fiesta even came factory with separate tweeters in the front, and its the base model.

Compare that to the Commodore with its 6.5" touch screen, bluetooth integration etc.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-04-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #39
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Why no colour touch screen with instant fuel consumption display, 100GB+ HDD to store your music on instead of swapping between MP3 CDs? Optional reverse camera and sensors which integrate with the screen etc?

Where is the heated door mirrors? That comes in handy every morning, the Fiesta has that, the Focus doesn't admittedly and either does the Territory, but the Territory is an expensive car even for a base model.

The problem with the whole car is it "just works". Everything is just "That will do" and its all over the car.

The Fiesta even came factory with separate tweeters in the front, and its the base model.

Compare that to the Commodore with its 6.5" touch screen, bluetooth integration etc.
You're joking right? The new Territory has all this crap plus more! And heated mirrors...? The reason your Fiesta has them is because its a Euro market car and it sure as hell needs them in Europe. I don't really think they're relevant in Australia somehow, even on top of Mt Buller

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
You're joking right? The new Territory has all this crap plus more! And heated mirrors...? The reason your Fiesta has them is because its a Euro market car and it sure as hell needs them in Europe. I don't really think they're relevant in Australia somehow, even on top of Mt Buller
What I mean is current model, not "new model which hasn't been released yet". If the new Territory has all this and more, then awesome, thats a big step in the right direction.

Every winter morning I go outside and my car is covered in frost and the mirrors fogged up, hell the last few days the mirrors have been fogged up and its autumn.

The only positive I give to the Territory is its awesome air conditioning.
Old 15-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #41
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
What I mean is current model, not "new model which hasn't been released yet". If the new Territory has all this and more, then awesome, thats a big step in the right direction.

Every winter morning I go outside and my car is covered in frost and the mirrors fogged up, hell the last few days the mirrors have been fogged up and its autumn.

Well yeah you're right there, the current Territory has all the amenities of a cave, and being 'related' to the BA Falcon it inherited the BA's ****** interior plastics fit and finish as well. But taken purely in terms of its competence as a family wagon (which is what Ford designed it for), on road manners and flexibility, the value for money is there in spades.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #42
BlueBear
Shockwave

Just wondering how I got here?
Haven't heard so much Ford bashing since I logged onto the Holden forums years ago.
Gotta make you wonder...
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear
Just wondering how I got here?
Haven't heard so much Ford bashing since I logged onto the Holden forums years ago.
Gotta make you wonder...
Long story short, Ford has a bad reputation amongst non car enthusiasts who have most likely been bitten once in the past, for example a family friend who bought an EA Falcon when they where new, he hates Ford to this day. Or dealing with their network of dealerships because 95% of them are clowns.

Also most other car enthusiasts hate Ford, except Ford ones.

Even Ambulance Victoria was heavily thinking of dumping the Territory a few months ago, for Subaru Forresters.
Old 15-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Actually this place has a wonderful amount of people that love to jump on the bandwagon.
Old 15-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #45
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

While we have Territory it's hard to justify bringing the Explorer out here, personally from what i have seen i prefer the cosmetics inside and out of the Explorer, but like 99.9% on here thats just press photos.

The new Territoory is growing on me but the smart money would be on if/when "One Ford" is enforced that the Explorer will be re-released here.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

They stopped building the old Territory over a month ago and the new ones are being shipped to dealers already, so the new one is the current model.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #47
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what the hell is up with people and "gizmo's" in their car.

what do you do with your car ?

you look out the window (not at or touching "gizmo's", unless you're a tool who is sick of living) and drive the bloody thing !!! Why wouldn't you place that driving experience first and foremost ???!!!???
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #48
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Thats the problem, they just "work", it just doesn't do anything other than tune radio stations which it can only store 6 on each band and play music at an average quality, the stock system sucks, I don't listen to my music very loud, but I like base and treble, which the Falcon and Territory pale in comparison to my Fiesta, which cost $18K and my Focus which cost $26K.

Why no colour touch screen with instant fuel consumption display, 100GB+ HDD to store your music on instead of swapping between MP3 CDs? Reverse camera, GPS and sensors which integrate with the screen etc?

To me. That is better than flash. Flash usually doesn't work properly, has annoying or useless functions... and fails more often than works. By keeping it simple, but effective.... Ford shows that they put thought into their vehicles.

And why does the car need a HDD? Falcon's and Terri's have had iPod integration for years now. And every man and his dog has an iPod. Which is essentially a large HDD with some basic software.... but it's portable, and something less than can break in the car.

Would you want to put up with the hassles of a HDD corruption/malfunction in your car, and have Ford spend half the day ripping your dash apart to fix. And then reinstall all your music again? I wouldn't.

So have a little faith... that Ford know how to build a car.... and know what's important, more than yourself and I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR
So I'm guessing you have sat inside the new model then?
No. Don't have to. I know immediately that it will be the American product it is. The seats will be comfy, but the plastics, hard, and not put together all that well. As some U.S. scribblers have mentioned. And they're used to it.