Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
onlinejames

Default i want to start collecting 1/18 models whats the best models to collect

id like some input into what brands to collect, biante autoart, carlectables and so forth
thanks

onlinejames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Default Re: i want to start collecting 1/18 models whats the best models to collect

i have a few Biante ones, I only buy cars that take my fancy, I find the detail really good on them...

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: i want to start collecting 1/18 models whats the best models to collect

Personally that's not the way to go about it.

Collect the cars you like, if the company is not up to scratch for you then don't buy it. Also I like to stick to themes.

It's an expensive hobby to have, so I collect pretty much all ford models in 1:43 and I am attempting to collect just Falcon GTs in 1:18, otherwise IMO it will never end.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 01-04-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Bah double post
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 3 1:18 Models.
I just buy what cars I like, I don't stick to a brand.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
onlinejames

id like to think biante have the most accurate detail, id rather a model that looks like the real thing rather than a plastic look alike , im just not sure if any of the others are up to par with biante
id like to collect all ford models from xr to fg, especially the xw to xc and if my wallet allows a cobra , im wanting to go wih 1/18 , i believe the level of detail is worth the extra expense
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
haynezee
Starter Motor

mate sounds like you have already made up your mind go with waht you want, need approval ? lol
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
onlinejames

LOL only from my wife, just want to know if carlectables are as good as biante, and ive been told autoart is biante
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Carlectables are good. I had a brock VK that was carlectables till my kids got hold of it. I gave up collecting cars but had heaps of 1:43 falcons, from XD's to EL's to AU's and so on. All my cars were either Biante or Carlectables. I found the best way was to collect 1:43 (which is still expensive) and only get your most prized ones in 1:18th scale. I have a few 1:18's kicking around I gave my son (on display in his room), I also had until I sold it a 1:18 Yellow VS GTSR.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Flaming Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinejames
id like some input into what brands to collect, biante autoart, carlectables and so forth
thanks
I have about 25 x 1:18’s. Many Aust touring cars / V8 Supercars - old classic & modern. Got a few of the good performers like Lambo, 911 turbo, Aston DBS, GTR etc.
The three brands you mention (binate, carlectables, autoart) all have good detail. Classic Carlectables are perhaps the better IMO, but all very good. Have fun.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Pick the cars you like. No point buying Cars you don't like unless you plan on trying to sell them off later for a profit.

I have a few 1:18 falcons. Mostly XA - XC Hardtops. I have to XA Sedans, (Moffatt Phase IV and RPO 83 Sedan).

I am still waiting for 1:18 XB Sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool Re: i want to start collecting 1/18 models whats the best models to collect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo
I have about 25 x 1:18’s. Many Aust touring cars / V8 Supercars - old classic & modern. Got a few of the good performers like Lambo, 911 turbo, Aston DBS, GTR etc.
The three brands you mention (binate, carlectables, autoart) all have good detail. Classic Carlectables are perhaps the better IMO, but all very good. Have fun.
This ^^^ all mine are from Classic Carlectables ... http://www.classiccarlectables.com.au/118releases.html
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If your looking for some investment value, buy anything Brock, Moffat, or Bathurst winners.
Pretty much anything else you pay $200+ for in 1:18 will be worth less than half if you try to sell it
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Sometimes you can get very lucky with model cars. I bought a model in 2002 for $200 and I saw it in Melbourne in a shop for $1000!! Could not believe my eyes. I just bought it because I have always like the car. Never thought of it as an investment.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Classic carlectables ****** all over biante/auto art when it comes to GT's in 1:18.. Much more correct detail wise, and realism wise..

Iv got mostly Auto Art ones and only a few of the Carlectables. I stopped buying them as there is just too many good ones Id like to have, and at $200 plus a pop, its a darn expensive hobby.
I only collect 1:18 as I find the smaller sizes lack the detail and arent as impressive to look at.. Iv got about 20 1:18's total, and could easily think of 20+ more Id like to own, but not at what they sell for today.

Between the 2 Carlectables smashes Biante for accuracy and detail, and some of the carlectables have windable windows, fabric seatbelts etc etc. Their not all spot on, not by a long shot, but their a hell of a lot better than the Biante's..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Sometimes you can get very lucky with model cars. I bought a model in 2002 for $200 and I saw it in Melbourne in a shop for $1000!! Could not believe my eyes. I just bought it because I have always like the car. Never thought of it as an investment.
So what was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
xr6turboford

I have been collecting models for about 7 years and have 72 1/18 models. Though most of my models are classics I do have some biante (auto art). The only advice I will give is check every model very carefully as both makes have QC problems from time to time. Also have deep pockets as it a very expensive hobby.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Dick Johnson's Bathurst winning Sierra
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
V8 6I

The thing about 1/18 scale cars is how much room they take up when you have a few,You will need a spare room or display that can hang on the wall.Also do you unpack them or keep them in the box.At resale only the boxed items get the big $.Just buy what you like not the brand.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
TK-421

Another issue i have found with displying biante 1;18 falcons is the rubber tyres will develope flat spots after a while. good advice is check the build quality of what ever model you are thinking about purchasing, things like panel alignment, doors that close flush, decal fitment.

some really good models by both companys cc's xr xt xw xy road cars, cc's racing falcons and mustangs. biantes do a good racing xd, xe and sierras.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ah shops have models in on consignment and ask stupid prices. I brought a Grecian Gold XW GT off ebay for $120 delivered a few years ago, I saw one in the the store the other day for $400..LOL...yeah right.

A XC Cobra was around $600...you would have to be naive or desperate to pay those prices.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

whats a twin mirror white xy gt worth?
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #23
TK-421

$1,584 according to average of last twenty sales on ebay.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
Silversurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO

Dick Johnson's Bathurst winning Sierra

Love this one but they are asking big $$$ for it, I ended up getting the Colin Bond one for $65 at 1/18 from same manufacturer.
One day I hope to find the Johnson Sierra at a fair price but hell that maybe a waste of hope.
check this link , HOPE yeah right"
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dick-Johnson-...item27b9e45f2b

Enjoy.

SS
Silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

$675 buy it now price. Wow. Crazy.

I don't think I will sell mine, I dont really care if it is worth $200 or $2000. I just like looking at it! It is my favourite touring car besides Ambrose 2004 Falcon.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #26
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

if you look at his other items he is selling alot of dick johnson models.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post