Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Modifying AU2 Standard Headlight

Ok I have had a look on AUfalcon and a search here and only found the following post by JC...Steps on disassembly..

1. Place headlight assembly in oven (preheated to lowest temp, around 100C)
2. Pull headlight apart once glue is melted (somewhere ebtween 6 and 14.3 minutes
3. Use a scourer/scotch brite to remove the chrome bits from the bezel (housing), but do NOT remove any chrome off the reflector
4. Prime
5. Paint your choice of colour
6. Put the assembly roughly back together and put back in the oven for around 5.8 to 11.3 minutes to remelt silicon
7. Reassemble headlight properly
8. If required, use extra Silicon around the joins to totally seal it.

Is that accurate (not that I dont trust JC but wanted to see what others have done).

My plan is to install some LED DRL's (a strip type because I want the shape) and while I am at it I think I will paint the bezel's the exterior colour or black.

Anyone has any tips for the painting process?

Also anyone got pics of their modded headlight with the above techniques?

I have just gotten my front end fixed and asked them to keep the old headlight as it only had a superficial scratch...so that will be my test dummy.

What brand/type of silicons will I need?

Thanks for any advice.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Are you looking to do something similar to an Audi headlight setup?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap...I want to follow the contour of the headlight..either upper or lower ill find out when I open it up to see what room is left.

If all is too hard then Phillips have a good (although generic) DRL setup in Autobarn..want about $200 for the pair though.

I found some good strips in Autobarn for $40 and tested them there, they will do the job, and are very flat and slim so should fit in just fine.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Id love to see it when its all done mate. Following this thread with keen interest

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'd suggest using a voltage regulator for any of those LED strips.They arent known for their reliability unless you use a voltage regulator to maintain a constant 12V. Even then they are suspect. The simple fact is that have not been built with quality LEDs.
I'd hate to see you spend time opening the headlight to do this work only to have some sections of the strip stop working.
I'm not sure what autobarn carry, but you can get side emitting LED strips on ebay that are only about 2mm thick and could just be placed on the outside of the headlight between the bumper or bonnet, depending where you want it. At least then if they fail, you dont have to open the headlight again.

Also, they are not going to be anywhere near bright enough for actual DRL duties. There's a reason the Philips and Hella ones arent cheap. Although this thread has some that are much less than Philips or Hella and still very good. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11322793

As for opening the headlight, the glue used on them is not a silicon, its a butyl rubber. You most likely wont need to worry about extra sealant for the headlight, I've done a few sets of headlights and havent added any extra sealant on them. The butyl is super sticky and as soon as the two surfaces come in contact they will seal up very well. If you do need more you can buy rolls of butyl rubber tape from 3M and other brands. If you do use silicon, be careful to select a neutral cure silicon so that it wont fog up the inside of the lens.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Cheers MAD, to be honest I was tempted to go to an auto elec to get the wiring all done. I could have a crack but electrics is not my thing..rather have a pro wire it up and connect it to my parkers aswell.

Do I get the regulator from jaycar etc?

Ill find out what brand it is...any reccomendations through ebay etc? I dont mind paying a little bit more for something that should last longer.

Ive been looking/posting in this thread aswell..note the passat comment, I dont want that happening to me either as it looks like rubbish...but I dont want the thing failing inside the headlight either.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11323414

Must note to..im note looking or aiming to make something to the quality of Phillips/Audi etc...im after something that will look good and work well enough.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'd say most of the LED strips come from very similar places with very similar qualities.
Sorry I cant recommend any ebay seller. The only thing the extra price will do is line someones pockets a little thicker.
That's why I suggested using them on the outside, just in case. I'm sure you could do something to ensure it wouldnt fall off or droop down anywhere.

I bought a pack of ten 7812 linear regulators off ebay from hong kong. Much cheaper than local supplies.

This link is for a 5v regulator, but the same circuit applies. I use them without the extra capacitors though. http://electronic-circuit.net/7805-regulator/
The wiring is very easy. It's a pity you're on the other side of Melb.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah ill have to hunt around...Id also rather it encased as I reckon if I leave them exposed they will catch dirt etc and look a bit povo...not sure...ill have a crack at this headlight first and see if I can pull it apart and replace without killing it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

I just used a hair dryer to heat up and open headlight.

Done it about 10 times now, just use sikafelx/silastic to seal it back up again, mostly just the factory stuff. Need to doit again as one of my cheap 'angel eyes' has stopped working again lol so will have to get the soldering iron out too lol
Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
HLC
Audi S3

and try and find a LED strip with superbright LED's as well, like well over 1000mcd+ because those ebay ones are dull and look cheap. you see them on every camry over here!!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
EATHSV
Oo---oO

I did the ones on the missus car with a hairdryer.... might try the oven next time! lol

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post