Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Single knocking noise front somewhere

Hi,

I recent changed my front brakes a few weeks back and they have been performing well, silent and smooth.

But a couple days ago, I am noticing a single knocking sound coming from what I thought was the left hand side near the wheel whenever I hit the brakes and release the pedal.. So I took the wheel off and double checked the caliper bolts and they were tight as they should. Physcially the brake assembly and pads all look good.

Put the wheels back on and tightened all wheel nuts again.

Noise is still there! when I hit the pedals and release. If I press on the brakes gently, the noise is less noticable.

I seem to think its from the left hand side wheel area, but if I can hear it during driving, as on some occasion the knock can be load, it sounds more like right under need the engine near the pedals.

What could it be!!!!

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
numloxx

CV Joint?
numloxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It could be an engine mount. It will make a clunk sound which is the engine moving when you stop, or it could be one of the bushes has worn causing movement.

If it was a CV it would make a clicking sound when you turn.

Thats my opinion, but the best thing would be to get it up on a hoist & get a mechanic to check it out
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it could be many things, even wheel bearings? I'm just worried it was someting to do with the brakes as I had changed them myself.

Imaz

Old 26-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Pretty sure I've got the same problem.

The sound from mine only seems to occur when weight shifts front-to-rear/rear-to-front, rather than around corners. Am due for a 75K service so will have to get it checked out.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Pretty sure I've got the same problem.

The sound from mine only seems to occur when weight shifts front-to-rear/rear-to-front, rather than around corners. Am due for a 75K service so will have to get it checked out.
Yeah, nothing when turning. Noticable on a straight road or going down a hill.

Mines @ 78k

Imaz

Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, my car is now at the brake shop to have the noise checked out. Mechanic said the brakes look like they have been done recently!!! I said yes, but I didnt say I did it. LALALALALALA.

Anyway, he found the problem to be the rotors need machining because of the wear and the new pads are uneven. Especially the LHS. So he will machine both rotors for me and penalize me $240. I guess Ford Dealers just replace the rotors to simply the job and charge me $1300(in the past). I guess that teaches me the lesson not to change the brakes myself in future.

Imaz

Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
casabonka
You can call me Chris

most times rotors will need machining when you change pads.
In saying that, I have done it in the past and had no issues.
Least it was a 'relatively' cheap fix!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
most times rotors will need machining when you change pads.
In saying that, I have done it in the past and had no issues.
Least it was a 'relatively' cheap fix!
Is $240 a cheap fix? I thought changing to DBA standard rotors for the two fronts cost $110 each.

Mechanic said I had heaps I could machine as my rotors were thick, 26mm!!! My venier must be wrong then when I measured them to be about 24mm thick a month back. must of grown thicker.

Imaz

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
L42B

Oddly enough, my Focus '07 does exactly the same thing. Although it seems to be an intermittent thing. It also happens when going over bumps or uneven surfaces in the road and after a while the clicking goes away. Mechanics are stumped, they've checked brake callipers, cv joints and the like.

Tech support is being sent in to offer assistance. They have heard the problem is there and no that I ain't mad. I've noticed the problem doesn't seem to happen when I turn off the ESP system switch. That's a little odd.

Will find out Wednesday what it could be and I'll get back to you.

Cheers L42B
L42B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
L42B

Although, I'd note that I'm still on original brake pads from when I purchased the vehicle new.
L42B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, I submitted my last post too soon and after getting the car back from the shops, I hadnt driven it till the weekend. the noise is still there!.....

It is going back in again. Surely I will have the machanics stumped... After that unnecesary machining of the rotors...

I swear, I probably need new rotors, or its "something" else, like wheel bearing or LH inner CV joint.

Imaz

Old 07-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Does it click when you turn? If not, it's not C.V's on the way out.

Does it make a whirring sound when driving? If not, forget wheel bearings.

When you changed the brake pads, did it have some tin pieces between the pad and the caliper anywhere? If yes, did they go back? Or didn't you notice?

Check the brake pads, whilst they are in the caliper and see if you can move them up or down. (This ties in with the tin pieces).

I am suspecting that the brake pads are moving in the caliper, causing the noise, hence my evasiveness with my questions.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Agree with this ^^^ could be pad knock off/movement very easily fixed....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Does it click when you turn? If not, it's not C.V's on the way out.

Does it make a whirring sound when driving? If not, forget wheel bearings.

When you changed the brake pads, did it have some tin pieces between the pad and the caliper anywhere? If yes, did they go back? Or didn't you notice?

Check the brake pads, whilst they are in the caliper and see if you can move them up or down. (This ties in with the tin pieces).

I am suspecting that the brake pads are moving in the caliper, causing the noise, hence my evasiveness with my questions.

No it doesnt click when turning so it may not be the OUT cv. No whining when driving forward.

This is the first time I've changed the pads myself and the very first time they were changed, Ford Dealer had changed them and bundled with new rotors as well.

So to say if it had those "spacers" between the pads and calipers, I dont recall. It may did originally when I first bough the car, and the dealer ditched them I dont know...

If so, then where can I buy these spacers?

Imaz

Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

It could be driveshaft related. Get the mechanics to check that. I have the same symptoms as imaz yet I haven't touched the brakes (still original rotors + pads), and I have just over 78K. At 70K the dealer told me I had at least 15K of rotor remaining. I must have been lucky, most are lucky to get 50K out of a set.

I noticed after installing the Koni's the sound has become more frequent.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 07-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
It could be driveshaft related. Get the mechanics to check that. I have the same symptoms as imaz yet I haven't touched the brakes (still original rotors + pads), and I have just over 78K. At 70K the dealer told me I had at least 15K of rotor remaining. I must have been lucky, most are lucky to get 50K out of a set.

I noticed after installing the Koni's the sound has become more frequent.
you must have a genuine dealer. My dealer penalized me for pads and all 4 rotors at 38k km. Car is now 78k km.

Imaz

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like it now has gone completely. After sending the car back to the workshop they did more machining on the rotors. They said its the last of machining they could do because the rotors would be too thin.

Imaz

Old 17-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz
Seems like it now has gone completely. After sending the car back to the workshop they did more machining on the rotors. They said its the last of machining they could do because the rotors would be too thin.
After almost a week, how have you found the repairs imaz?

My Focus is currently at the mechanics and they found the drivers side drive shaft to blame. Will have the drive shaft reconditioned and put back in tomorrow and will hopefully end my dramas.

Old 18-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After a week of piece the noise is back. I'm thinking its the rotors just need replacing. i'm gonna leave it and will change them at the next pad change(which is still far away). I will go after market this time.

Are you sure its the drive shaft? whats wrong with it?

I noticed if i turn right(dead stop) and take off I can hear something funny from the drive shaft upon taking off. Its not the sound of cv bearing either.

Imaz

Old 18-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I'll pick the car up in just over an hour so will no for sure then. The mechanic said the outer CV was pretty dead so that was replaced with the reconditioned drive shaft. Apparently the part of the drive shaft where the noise is coming from is sealed so he couldn't see exactly what was wrong, but if you look here it kind of makes sense.

BTW, Ford quoted me $800 PER SIDE for a genuine drive shaft so that seems like a good option if you couldn't recondition.

Old 18-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #22
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good price for a complete pair with inner and out joints. But too bad its a manual and not auto.

Is that what you had bought? The focus does not seem cheap to maintain huh even for a cv.

Imaz

Old 18-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #23
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Car has been picked up. Cannot believe the difference the reconditioned drive shaft has made. The click is gone and the front of the car feels so much tighter. A little scary how loose it was before, but I guess the wear/damage happens slowly over time so you get used to it.

Also had a 75k service done at the same place, had a rear camber kit installed and a wheel alignment done. Bill came to $653, including $185 for the reconditioned drive shaft and outer CV.

Hope new rotors (when they come) solve your issues. Mine have around 7500km left so will have to start looking soon.

Old 19-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #24
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats good news. Not sure how loose can it get or how tight it should be as I dont think mines too much different since I bought it new. Í'm guessing your noticing the difference of the wheel alighnment.

I have a gut feeling mines something to do with the drive shaft too. I just dont know how the click could come from the rotors.

Imaz

Old 20-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
frozen xr5

$240 to machine your rotors? i got my subaru rotors machined for $40.[QUOTE=imaz] So he will machine both rotors for me and penalize me $240. {/QUOTE]
frozen xr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post