Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Default Engine swaps

Hey guys

Got a technical question for you all..
It just so happens I can get my hands on a 2.3 MPS engine for a fairly low sum, and want to know what differences/similarities it has to the 2.0 Duratec HE in my LS.
I'm under the impression that they are essentially the same engine with a different head (talking about the 2.3 in general, obviously the 2.3T would have different slugs etc).

If I were to get the complete engine + loom + ecu, is it essentially a bolt in job, or would I need the whole half-cut for engine mounts, accessories (steering rack, gbox, etc)? I presume I would need a higher-rate fuel pump - either the standard MPS/XR5 pump or a bosch 040, but just looking at the engine sitting on the pallet it appears to be very similar in dimensions.

And on that topic, if I were to instead think about an XR5 wreck, would it be a case of parking the cars next to each-other and doing a straight swap over? Or are the german xr5's fundamentally different to the Seuth Efricen standard Focus?

Just want to test the waters before deciding on this engine, don't want to be left with another useless paperweight in the shed.

By the way, if this has been covered before, please link me through to threads, certainly after a good read on the topic

Cheers!

Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
20focus05
I wanna XR5

mmm now did the Americans have 2.3 litre focus?
just did a google and looks like they did in the ZX4 ST
not sure of the finer details.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Yeah the americans have a 2.3, but there's little info on how its different.

What about similarities between the SA focus and XR5? If I were to have both cars sitting side by side, is it a case of just dropping the subframe, engine and box in one and slotting it into the sedan?
Old 24-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Here are some differences: http://duratec.wikispaces.com/Duratec_Engine_Specs
The 2.3L is essentially a stroked 2.0L

As for engine swaps into a Focus, I haven't seen / heard of it being done in Australia.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Hmm, I don't really want to undertake this blind. I'm all for drilling out extra holes to mount crossmembers to, but if the chassis points are totally different between the SA and the GER models, it would probably be out of my depth.

From what I've dug up so far on the mazda MZR engine, although it's owned by Ford under the Duratec brand, the engines are built in mazda factories and may not have the same dimensions for their mounts etc. But again, nothing to confirm or deny it.
Has anyone got mates at wreckers etc that could take some comparison photos or measurements of engine bays without the engines in?

After coming from Nissans where there's encyclopaedias worth of information, these Focuses are driving me insane! Ford's global car platform indeed.
Old 28-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Talldude

www.ffoc.co.uk (Ford Focus Owners Club UK) that may be of help.

pay to sign up, its worth it, melbzetec told us about it.

In europe they have done a lot of things to their focuses
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post