Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
shepv8
V8's for ever

Default Engine miss/low power/fault code

Hi all,
about 6 weeks ago I noticed an intermittent miss in my 06 LX manual with 118000kms. It happened the most when accelerating in 2nd gear at about 3/4 throttle, and it seemed to be at or around 3000rpm. I checked the plugs and one had a cracked insulator so I changed it and cleaned the others ( plugs were only 10,000kms old iridiums). It dosent always do it, otherwise the car feels fine. Then yesterday the car suddenly went doughy at low revs, as if the exhaust was blocked , and when it reached about 3-3500rpm it cleared up and revved out as normal. It did this in all gears. I stopped the car and when I restarted it the problem was still there with the engine light now also illuminated. I took it to an auto electrician who checked the code and said it was " manifold air intake control actuator" . He cleared the code, and the car is now running ok again, though Im not sure this is because of the code being cleared. I have had maybe 3 or 4 times since we've had the car a situation where you switch off the engine and a noise continues under the engine like a motor whiring,which could only be stopped by disconnecting the battery. The noise I tracked down to something on the intake manifold. I now suspect it may be the actuator that had the fault code
Cheers in advance
Shep

shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Hi Shep, I've come across this problem a fair few times on the US Focus forums - focaljet and focus fanatics. You'll have to do a search under the duratec sections. You don't have to be a member to search either forum.

Sorry but I do not recall the exact details / fix of this problem!
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

I have the same issue with my '06 Duratec, it has a strange miss around 3,000-3,5000 that only happens two out of three times - fairly intermittent. No error codes or dash lights coming on though, but it sounds like the same thing. Post up if you find a fix.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
Hi all,
about 6 weeks ago I noticed an intermittent miss in my 06 LX manual with 118000kms. It happened the most when accelerating in 2nd gear at about 3/4 throttle, and it seemed to be at or around 3000rpm. I checked the plugs and one had a cracked insulator so I changed it and cleaned the others ( plugs were only 10,000kms old iridiums). It dosent always do it, otherwise the car feels fine. Then yesterday the car suddenly went doughy at low revs, as if the exhaust was blocked , and when it reached about 3-3500rpm it cleared up and revved out as normal. It did this in all gears. I stopped the car and when I restarted it the problem was still there with the engine light now also illuminated. I took it to an auto electrician who checked the code and said it was " manifold air intake control actuator" . He cleared the code, and the car is now running ok again, though Im not sure this is because of the code being cleared. I have had maybe 3 or 4 times since we've had the car a situation where you switch off the engine and a noise continues under the engine like a motor whiring,which could only be stopped by disconnecting the battery. The noise I tracked down to something on the intake manifold. I now suspect it may be the actuator that had the fault code
Cheers in advance
Shep
No idea BUT my bimmer does this when the booties on the coil packs get tired and start to crack , replace them and it revs ferpectly so ignition ? ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
shepv8
V8's for ever

Im really struggling to get anywhere with this problem. Even on the american forums , info on this issue is hard to track down. They all talk about 2.3l enginges and SVT's. I can locate a drawing of the engine so I dont even know where the part is on the engine ( obviously on/near intake manifold) , I have no idea what it looks like and no one offers them for sale. Am waiting to hear from ford tommorrow, I might have to put it in to ford and let them , ahem, devour my bank balance to get it fixed. I cant believe how hard it is to get info on this problem. Even trying to get a haynes workshop manual means ordering one. All the focus's on the road and no one stocks a shop manual.....
Old 24-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Any progress mate?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
shepv8
V8's for ever

The fault came up again a few days ago, complete with CEL. After trawling the net for hours I still cannot define whether or not our cars actually have an IMRC. Ford spares only have 1 attachment on the inlet manifold other than the throttle body which they call an inlet manifold airflow valve which is both power and vaccuum operated. I am thinking this is my trouble. The auto elecrtician cant remember/didnt bother writing down the actual fault code so I have bought a Autel Maxidiag 703 scanner to read the codes myself so I can ascertain exactly what is faulty. I also got the Haynes manual which isnt as helpful as I would have liked. Has vertialy nothing on the inlet manifold or fault codes in general.
Also this week my rear drivers side indicator has stopped working- changed the bulb, which wasnt blown and it worked for a day and then stopped again. Plus the horn also dosnt work...... some electrical gremlins going on here. the horn and rear indicators circuit share a common earth so that will be my first check.
Old 25-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
I have the same issue with my '06 Duratec, it has a strange miss around 3,000-3,5000 that only happens two out of three times - fairly intermittent. No error codes or dash lights coming on though, but it sounds like the same thing. Post up if you find a fix.
mines dosnt have a dash light either when it misses, only when it has the loss of power under 3000rpm fault. However I think the missfire will still register an error code so hopefully I can scan it and get some info. Also the scanner I got has a real time missfire diagnoser. I guess you drive it with the scanner plugged in and when it misses it will log the fault based on EMS and sensor inputs.
Old 28-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
shepv8
V8's for ever

So,
I plugged the scanner in and its ford generic fault code is
P2008 - IMRC circuit bank 1 circuit malfunction

if I search the actual cars model code it comes up with

P2008 - Intake Manifold Runner Control circuit/open bank 1a

so Im guessing its an electrical fault somewhere. Could be a plug connection issue, could be the unit itself is faulty. On the net someone has posted that a bad PCV hose will cause this fault to come up but Im not sure of this, wont hurt to check though.