Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default The Camry vs The Fairmont

Well I thought I would post a little on my thoughts about my 03 Sportivo vs my 07 Fairmont. I am also going to quickly put a force feild around me.

So I have had the Camry almost 2yrs now, the Fairmont for 4 weeks. I have done 1000km in the Fairmont so have a good feel for it now. Initially the Fairmont felt sluggish and not as nice on the road as the Camry, but I still had to get used to it.

Suspension: The Camry stock is a lot nicer than the Fairmont stock, the Fairmont feels too soft and is like a cloud sometimes, where as the Camry is really stiff, but not too stiff, meaning a stiff ride but still comfortable.

Steering: The Fairmont definitely beats the Camry here, the Camry is waaay to light. I can drive using my little finger and you can't really feel the road, the Fairmont is heavy but still light and it is nice to be able to feel the road.

Cornering: Well this one is a given being one is FWD and the Other RWD. The Camry is shocking. Try to take a bend just a bit faster than the suggested limit and you will find yourself in a tree. The Fairmont like every other falcon I have owned hugs the road and just seems to work with the corner, not try to throw you out of it.

Power: Well again the Fairmont wins here but not at first. When I first got the Fairmont it was so horrid down low the Camry felt nicer, much more responsive down low. A few little mods and well well, the Camry would be eaten alive lol. I found myself driving the Camry yesterday screaming at it to get up to speed. I had my foot flat and it still felt like a millenium had passed by the time I got to 70.

Brakes: The Camry wins this one. I have an 8 yr old camry with stock discs and it has no shudder at all. The Fairmont is horrible and as we all know the first thing we do to a Falcon is upgrade the discs lol.

Interior and Features: Well interior wise the Fairmont is the better car. The Camry screems old people and it seems to have been developed with this in mind lol. The seats are too high, too wide to urgh. The Fairmont has a beautiful interior in comparison, Comfy seats, nice and low in the car, I love the little analouge clock, but I hate the fake woodgrain type **** they put in. It just looks tacky and not well thought out.

The Stereo in the Camry is miles better than the Fairmont which is a shame given the age difference. Both Cars have 6 speaker 6 stack in dash systems, but the Camry is such a nicer sounding system when turned up loud. Both cars have full climate control so no difference there, The Camry does have an overspeed warning on the trip computer, which would have been nice to see in a car built in 07 considering it has been in cars for years now. The Camry comes with factory Alarm, which again amazed me when I realised my 07 Fairmont does not. I would have thought these days it was a prerequisite (spelling) in a car.

My Final thought because the Mrs is screaming that we need to go to work.

The Fairmont even with the few little issues I have is a much nicer car. With a few small mods it will be miles better than the Camry. A few things did dissapoint me but overall I love it, and I hate driving the Camry now (which I am about to go do) The Fairmont with it's bigger motor and my heavy foot still get's better fuel economy. When the time comes to get rid of the Camry, my mrs will be getting a Falcon.

Sorry I could not be more in depth but I am being yelled at lol.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought they did come with speed warning. My falcon BA XT and my BA GT have them.
I think in the BA you have to use the radio controls on the steering wheel.

Great write up, good to see your honest thoughts about the 2 cars.

Last edited by xisled; 18-01-2011 at 12:45 PM.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
james22
With da Warlords

Your fairmont does have a speed alert system.

You need to hold the "Mode" button next to the steering wheel for a few seconds. Then the dash will beep and you set the speed with the volume control buttons on the steering wheel. All the info pops up on the lcd display.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Spudz27
Call me Spud

No mode button on my dash. My trip computer is controlled on the ICC, I will try holding in the trip button and see how I go.
Old 18-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
No mode button on my dash. My trip computer is controlled on the ICC, I will try holding in the trip button and see how I go.
There's a mode button on the seteering wheel, behind the volume controls on the left hand side
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The mode button on the steering wheel. it should be behind the volume control. Its the flick button used to change from radio and cd. Well thats where it is on the BA.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Ahh yes. Stupid me, will try when I get home. As stated in my op I am using the Camry today.
Old 18-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I like reading comparisons between regular everyday Aussie sedans. The big Aussie car mags don't do enough of them anymore. Probably because they're boring, but interesting to some.

My friend has a 1996 V6 Camry and when the engine revs get up a bit, it starts pulling surprisingly well and the exhaust stays so quiet. The auto trans is also stuffed so it is really harsh, like a severe shift kit, and it squeals like a pig around corners.

It's good to drive though, feels solid and reliable, decent interior space, runs forever with minimal care.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
dylancox

How sort of development budget does Toyota spend on developing the Camry? I'd reckon it would be hell of a lot more than what Ford Aus has to spend on the Falcon.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Good and objective.
One big difference though; you can fall in love with your falcon and it's personality, nobody ever says they've fallen in love with a camry because it has no personality.

Quote: