Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
dogwatch2

Default Joyce Mayne false advertising

I'm sick of Joyce Mayne saying they will beat other retailers prices. Two weeks ago I went there and asked for their best price on a Topfield 500G Recorder, they came back with $459, I then showed Dick Smith's catalogue where it was $444. She said we can't match that, let alone beat it. It was similar at Harvey Norman, where the salesman said I should go to Dick Smith's and buy it there, I said I would as they can't compete in price. I had a similar experience at the beginning of the year where Joyce Mayne wouldn't come close to matching a washing machine price offered by Harvey Norman. Talk about false advertising.
Has anyone esle noticed that Harvey srores have hardened their discounting attitude over the last couple of years?

dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwatch2
I'm sick of Joyce Mayne saying they will beat other retailers prices. Two weeks ago I went there and asked for their best price on a Topfield 500G Recorder, they came back with $459, I then showed Dick Smith's catalogue where it was $444. She said we can't match that, let alone beat it. It was similar at Harvey Norman, where the salesman said I should go to Dick Smith's and buy it there, I said I would as they can't compete in price. I had a similar experience at the beginning of the year where Joyce Mayne wouldn't come close to matching a washing machine price offered by Harvey Norman. Talk about false advertising.
Has anyone esle noticed that Harvey srores have hardened their discounting attitude over the last couple of years?
Joyce Mayne - they went years ago....what State are you in?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Joyce Mayne, Harvey Norman and Domayne are all owned / run by the one group. I have all 3 stores within 1km of each other (Wollongong) which can be pretty annoying when it comes to constant TV AND radio advertising Last time I bought a washing machine they were more than willing to take business away from each other and match prices. From memory Joyce was the cheapest, but Harveys bettered the price.

Last edited by BOSS 540; 23-12-2010 at 09:49 AM.
BOSS 540 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
dogwatch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
In NSW, Harvey bought the Joyce Mayne stores and has expanded them.
Old 23-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwatch2
By law the franchisee has to meet or beat the price, what ever it is.

But you'll find in the fine print that it usually doesn't relate to sale items - was Dick Smith on sale?
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
The last time I saw "Joyce Mayne" was on Parramatta Road Auburn, I was looking @ buying a color tv (yes boys & girls "tv" was not always in color!!!). At that time "ole Joyce" looked like a dried up prune, with make up plastered on her face.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face

Go to 'Good Guys' or 'Bing Lee' will beat all of the above every time.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you ask them to match the price. Just go to the places that is already cheaper and try get a discount anyway......
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Why would you ask them to match the price. Just go to the places that is already cheaper and try get a discount anyway......
Because the OP may have to travel 20-30k's to get to a dicksmiths, so it is easier and less hassle to try and get a closer store to price match. I have the problem where we have almost everything except JB's so if JB has someting cheap, no one here will match as they know I have to travel 400km if I want it at the JB price.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I've never had a problem with price matching at my local harvey norman. (Knox city, vic) On one occasion, JB hifi had a cheaper item, Harver norman matched, and beat it by $15, With no proof

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough. I have 3 JB's withing a 5 minute drive from my house.

All other stores are only 10 minutes away at the most. SO I just go wherever is cheapest and try get discount anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Do the price of items differ between stores of the same name? Like supermarkets*

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
Do the price of items differ between stores of the same name? Like supermarkets*

Yes if you go to the HNAU website you'll notice that you have to enter the postcode to get a price. It's set regionally.

On another note there is a disclaimer about not beating prices regionally too... basically the store with the advertised price has to be local.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always remember guys.

The big shiny stores with lots of TV advertising cost a HUGE amount of money to run.

Somebody is paying for it....and guess who it usually is....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Always remember guys.

The big shiny stores with lots of TV advertising cost a HUGE amount of money to run.

Somebody is paying for it....and guess who it usually is....
The tooth fairy
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I bought a 50" panasonic plasma from joyce mayne last year during the boxing day sales. The Good Guys had it ridiculously cheap and joyce mayne sold it to me cheaper and from what the sales guy was saying, I bought it for cheaper than what they got them for, not sure how true that is though. I still haven't seen them advertised as cheap as what I got it for since I got mine either

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
The tooth fairy
One cashed up little mumma that one..

I have never walked in somewhere with a pamphlet and tried the price matching/bettering routine. I have said "x,y,z do it for $X" and if they offer to beat it I buy there. If they offer to match it, I go to the first place as I feel they've offered it first.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
dogwatch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
By law the franchisee has to meet or beat the price, what ever it is.

But you'll find in the fine print that it usually doesn't relate to sale items - was Dick Smith on sale?
Dick's price was on sale, I didn't show the Dick's price first up in case they came back with a cheaper price. Dick Smith isn't far away from me but I was hoping they would beat it, as Dick Smith doesn't negotiate. Dick's prices aren't normally cheap so I thought they wouldn't have any trouble beating it.
Old 23-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #19
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always walk in and say this is how much I can get it for, can you do better, if they say yes I return to the first place and ask them to beat my new best price, generally its Good Guys that get the sale, once they hit rock bottom ie they say we can not go any lower you know you have reached the end.

All you have to do then is hit them up for free delivery, if they say no start walking away, when I bought my Samsung 52" LCD the sales manager ended up delivering it in his SS ute then and there, as I said unless I can get it home now I won't be buying it, plus we got the 'free' blue ray player as well

Sales people hate dealing with me, my real-estate agent was nearly crying when we sold one of our houses about 5 years ago I squeezed him that hard
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Found this for you after a quick google, their actual terms of the Price Match.

http://www.joycemayne.com.au/bestpri...tee/index.html

If your price match genuinely falls in there, I'd be contacting Consumer Affairs or whatever they're called these days regarding the advertisement to say they're not honouring something on offer.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If you're like my old man, who purchased our entire homes electrical appliances from harvey's, all you do is mention your name and flash a store card, and they'll do anything. He did spend about 25k in a single day though, so that must count for most of the reason they give him a good price whenever he goes in.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #22
T3-TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gerry Harvey is sitting there trying to get the GST changed so its not as cheap to shop online like i do and all he wants is to gouge money out of us like hes done for the last 20 years or so,if he wants to compete with internet sales he needs to get competitive or lose his market.
Old 23-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #23
dogwatch2

Another thing that irked me at the loical Joyce(Maitland NSW) was when I was shopping for an Asus laptop last year, I got a price of HN then went to Joyce and said the price I can get it for = about $1200 plus office software, The salesman said am I sure of the price and then proceeded to ring his mate at HN to talk about it and the best he would do is match it, talk about collusion. I wasn't impressed and went to the Goodguys. Maybe my loacl HN and Joyce are owned by the same franchcisee? Also as far as me complaining to Dept of fair trading about not bettering the Dick Smith price for the Topfield PVR, I couldn't be bothered as they are normally hopeless anyway, I prefer to only deal with HN/Joyce now as a last resort.