Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
BuuBox

Unhappy Alright, so it's not actually about a Ford, but...

I've had a bit of a run in with Dandenong/Berwick Kia and Nissan, and I thought I'd ask for some opinions of whether it's worth chasing up at all...

My girlfriend recently bought a '96 Hyundai Excel there as her first car, and its' been nothing but trouble, despite the low km's (68,000) and service history. It started with a stalling and missfiring problem that was never fixed, but it gets worse. Along with insane lifter noise that made my 300,000km Fairmont sound like a church hymn, it started bringing on the oil light around corners last week, so I called 'em up and asked them to have another go at fixing the stalling issue. They assured me that it had been fixed, and that it wasn't their problem since the 3 month warrenty had run out.

Since it was a continuing, unresolved issue, are they still liable?

I ended up doing a complete service on the car, hoping that it was as simple as that. After doing a flush and putting in some Castrol Magnetic that I had, the oil issue dissaperared, and the lifters are as silent as a mouse... and I found:

1. The air filter looked like the original from the factory.
2. The leads weren't installed properly, probably causing the stalling/missing issue.
3. The oil filter was the incorrect one.
4. It looked like they used 2 litres of 30W/70 homebrand engine oil in it, and
5. A strange "vacuum leak" noise that I can't isolate, but they assured me was nothing.

Now I'm not one to complain, but that's excessive, and annoying because of their assurances that the car would get a "full service" before the keys reached my girlfriend's hands. Potentially dangerous too, a car stalling at will isn't a nice experience trying to merge into peak hour traffic. And their rudeness both on the phone and in person didn't help my anger levels, however I remained civil at all times.

So yeah, is this worth chasing up? Making something of? Filing a complaint with the consumer affairs or similar? I'm all for legal advice on a forum! Moral of the story? Buy a Nissan or a Kia from a nicer dealer...

Thanks! :

Edit: The car was taken back to the dealer at least three times to rectify the stalling and missing issue. It got slightly better each time, but was always around when it was cold. Came back with a vengance a few nights back, prompting the phone calls.

BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
BuuBox

I've just had another though...

The car had the stalling/missfiring issue on the test drive, and it was condition of sale that this was fixed. They assured us it was just plugs and leads, and all would be well.
Old 29-09-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate,
I'd be hot under the collar too, try with them again since it was supposed to be fixed. I personally though would start with buying a new set of spark plug leads and ignition coil lead from super cheap. (buy them individually rather than a complete set, the complete sets in the box seem to be inferior quailty to the individual ones.)
Old 29-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Unfortunally you are stuck. They don't have to service a car prior to sale, if a car needed work before purchase, ya should've turned away. A dealer/used car sales will not want to spend a cent on preparing the vehicle, they will do dodgy repairs so it sounds good enough and lasts the first 6 months of the warrenty. Obviously this didn't work with you.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Should never have bought a Hyundai in the first place.

Also those engines are susceptible to noisy lifters after a while ... it's a typical Mitsubishi engine trait (they use near identical engines to the 4G15's found in the Mirage.)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
hrtrip
I Hope Holden Dies

call up and complain - then go to consumer affairs, then if there is still no action buy a pallet of bricks and find yourself some major league baseball pitchers...

HRT R.I.P

Icon Blue BFII Fairmont
Stock as a rock... :(
hrtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you bought a lemon. I had a Hyundai from 96->05. It was reliable as hell. Owed me around $700 (1 battery, 1 alternator, 1 exhaust) when I traded it. I got it @ 35,000k's. I traded it @ 225,000k's. When it was traded the lifters we noisey for around 2 minutes then they quitened down.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
I've had a bit of a run in with Dandenong/Berwick Kia and Nissan, and I thought I'd ask for some opinions of whether it's worth chasing up at all...

My girlfriend recently bought a '96 Hyundai Excel there as her first car, and its' been nothing but trouble, despite the low km's (68,000) and service history. It started with a stalling and missfiring problem that was never fixed, but it gets worse. Along with insane lifter noise that made my 300,000km Fairmont sound like a church hymn, it started bringing on the oil light around corners last week, so I called 'em up and asked them to have another go at fixing the stalling issue. They assured me that it had been fixed, and that it wasn't their problem since the 3 month warrenty had run out.

Since it was a continuing, unresolved issue, are they still liable?

I ended up doing a complete service on the car, hoping that it was as simple as that. After doing a flush and putting in some Castrol Magnetic that I had, the oil issue dissaperared, and the lifters are as silent as a mouse... and I found:

1. The air filter looked like the original from the factory.
2. The leads weren't installed properly, probably causing the stalling/missing issue.
3. The oil filter was the incorrect one.
4. It looked like they used 2 litres of 30W/70 homebrand engine oil in it, and
5. A strange "vacuum leak" noise that I can't isolate, but they assured me was nothing.

Now I'm not one to complain, but that's excessive, and annoying because of their assurances that the car would get a "full service" before the keys reached my girlfriend's hands. Potentially dangerous too, a car stalling at will isn't a nice experience trying to merge into peak hour traffic. And their rudeness both on the phone and in person didn't help my anger levels, however I remained civil at all times.

So yeah, is this worth chasing up? Making something of? Filing a complaint with the consumer affairs or similar? I'm all for legal advice on a forum! Moral of the story? Buy a Nissan or a Kia from a nicer dealer...

Thanks! :

Edit: The car was taken back to the dealer at least three times to rectify the stalling and missing issue. It got slightly better each time, but was always around when it was cold. Came back with a vengance a few nights back, prompting the phone calls.
My advice to you is to talk to the dealership manager. Tell him what you have been told and that it is not good enough. If that fails ring up the VACC and let them deal with it. If that gets you no were thew call the Accc that will fix them.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
spope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Also those engines are susceptible to noisy lifters after a while ... it's a typical Mitsubishi engine trait (they use near identical engines to the 4G15's found in the Mirage.)
That's correct, but tappet adjustment is part of the 15,000 km service interval. Every service, if you look in your manual.
I'd hazard a guess that the service schedule on this particular excel has not been followed correctly - you can run into a LOT of problems with these engines if they are not serviced regularly.
As for the dealership, dig out your contract, if the stalling issue was a condition of sale, goes straight back to the dealer principal and tell him/her that you want it fixed. Else yeah, a call to consumer affairs is probably in order.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Should never have bought a Hyundai in the first place.
Hmmm. I never had probs with mine. I had an X3 Excel and thrashed the tits off it for ages. That car took a beating and always came back for more. It was a stack off fun. I'd even contemplated going the twin throttle body or turbo option on it....but bough the xr6 instead.

Quote:
As for the dealership, dig out your contract, if the stalling issue was a condition of sale, goes straight back to the dealer principal and tell him/her that you want it fixed. Else yeah, a call to consumer affairs is probably in order.
Sounds like the best option.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #11
EL_futuraistic

yeah, unless its listed on the contract of sale as a condition of purchase i dont think you have much legal stance.

However in saying that, if they had assured you its been fixed and it hasnt most "reasonable" workshops are only too happy to fix their stuff ups. Clearly this isnt a "reasonable" workshop so i would just be posting your story on many websites and telling as many people as you can how bad they are.

That is poor luck, hyundai excels arent exactly the best made vehicles, but if its been looked after you should get at least 100,000km before any major problems arise. Especially on such a low mileage vehicle.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #12
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found my 95 S-coupe to be more reliable than my 97 EL Falcon. If I had no need to tow or was single. I wouldn't own a late model Falcon. I personally think the 70s model Falcons are more reliable than late model ones too.

Old 29-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #13
BuuBox

Just for the record, I wasn't there when the car was bought! So it's not my fault it's a Hyundai, and I'd never buy a car with "issues"...

I'll give the dealer another call, and see where that leads me. The car seems to be running nicely now, so I might use some flushing oil, and see what happens. Hopefully it hasn't done too much damage. The car also has a fairly complete service history, so it's been serviced right on or before the intervals. It's just that some dealers do more harm than good it would seem...

Thanks!

Edit: It got brand new leads put on it to cure the missing problem. Except they weren't installed correctly, with one just sitting on the plug. And the service crew didn't pick up on this, despite three visits. Woo, go team. And before you say "why didn't you check?", I was staying clear of the car, incase of warrenty and all that. Fat load of use that did!
Old 29-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stopped taking my Falcon to a dealer. Taking it to the dealer caused more problems than it solved. Since ceasing dealer servicing I've had no issues. I busted the dealer charging for parts they weren't even changing.

Old 29-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #15
EL_futuraistic

Standard
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Go to Consumer affairs http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256...+go+wrong~&3=~
tell them the whole story with as many details, ie dates conversations etc as possible.

Fortunately not all car dealers are like this mob. We bought our 2000 Fairlane from Duhig Ford in Melb.We did the whole deal over the phone. They brought the car to us, 475kms away, and drove our old Sportsman back to Melb. After about 2 weeks we noticed condensation in the left headlight -The big double expensive Fairlane thing- and rang to tell them. No problem, straight down to our local Ford dealer and had a new one fitted.

Service like that will get me back for my next one
Old 29-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #17
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I love it when you take your Ford they always want to change your wiper blades, even if you have just changed them.

My dad bought his NC2 Fairlane Ghia from a dealer because they gave him the car for the long weekend, so we drove to the Blue Mountains and made a little holiday out of it. TAhat was great service.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post