Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Steering wheel for the ps3/pc

Ok so I am getting ready for GT5 and I wouldn't mind getting myself new steering wheel, last one I had was a mad catz with my PS1 playing TOCCA2..ah memories.

So from what I can tell there are 3 options:

1. Logiteck G27 for about $400 new off ebay
2. Logiteck G25 second hand off ebay - about $250 or so
3. Fanatec Porsche 911 turbo wheel - $250 new with 2 year warranty imported by these guys; http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/

Logiteck would be the safe option but they aint cheap, well the G27 anyway.

Ive been reading a bit up on the fanatec guys and its all mixed, some say they are really good if not better than the logitecks and others think they are poo.

What do you guys/gals have?

Im keen on a stand aswell (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT)so its all adding up but should be worth it, but as always im looking at minimizing the pain.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
Classy Redneck

I have a G25, and I swear by it. It's fantastic. I've been using it here at work playing GT5: Prologue on a HD Projector Screen and a 7.1 Surround Sound System.

To give you an idea, Octal, a global simulations software company, uses the G25 for demonstrating their driving simulators. Pretty neat!! Actually meeting one of the guys from there on Wednesday.

The G27 isn't much of an improvement over the G25 in that they really haven't added anything worth the purchase.

My only gripe with any of these wheels is there's no proper little handbrake, so you must configure in to a button... That, or position a keyboard correctly and use the Space-Bar :P

But yeah, I'd recommend the G25
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
3vXT

I've had a G25 for a while and its awesome. I wouldn't buy a used one though but if you can still get them new i'd definitely do that or spend a bit extra for the G27.

3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the G25 - and the only thing better than the likes of the G25/G27 is to move up to pricier simulator packages which take the price north of $500.

The stand is something I plan to get, but for now, I have a 40+ year old hall table with the draw removed to mount it to. It allows me to place it in front of my desk and not be pushed too far from the desk as it is 35cm deep and I can slot it under the desk until it hits the wheel. I was going to throw the table out, but modded it for the wheel instead.

The downside is the Wheelstand Pro costs as much as the wheel!

If you're going to get a wheel, might as well spend the money - most of the reviews of the cheaper $100+ wheels in the cheaper segment - even the Logitech, listed too many shortcomings/compromises and the general vibe was save your pennies and get something more like the G25. The G27 successor builds on the G25, but LED shift lights appear to be the main addition, the rest looks basically the same. I hope there is better software/support or something to justify the $150 price hike.

According to Staticice.com.au, you can still buy the G25 new, but these vendors charge above $350 and you can get the G27 for $400.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.

Last edited by pauljh74; 02-08-2010 at 09:32 PM.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I wasn't to phased about the extra $150 it was more is it worth it. Also who knows how a 2nd hand one has been treated.

Ive read some forums where people thought the 27 was worse than the 25 but Im not to sure how that can be as they are the same, well the steering components anyway.

Nice setup's guys, I too have a projector 1080p and surround etc etc, it should be awesome.

Now my only issue is do I wait until GT5 is out and maybe get a bundle, if they do it, or just get it now with a game to tide me over until GT5 is available?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I have a g25 and love it... Setup for pc and ps3 so i just plug in and unplug. Out of interest when is gt5 coming out?
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
WMD351
Size it up

jb hifi were taking deposits and saying it was coming out end of July. now it's pushed back to November. And I've got a bridge for sale, anyone interested?
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I've got the Logitec driving force pro, its been used heaps for about 5 years now, still doing 900 degree steering, force feedback and momo wheel feels great in the hands. Used it in the old Grand turismo games on the PS and now mostly use it for GTR2 on the PC. Works great.

If the new versions are anything like the build quality of the old driving force pro then I'd go the G25, H-pattern gear shift and has clutch too!

Good luck.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

I have had the G25 since they were first released, I like it, but it's let down by it's callibration. Playing Gt5 prologue after catching a slide in the game the steering wheel thinks it's going straight when it's on a 45 degree angle. Very frustrating especially if your in the middle of a race over the net. I'm hoping a new wheel comes out before gt5, because I remember the guys from polophony not being happy with the g25/7
Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK thought I would put in an update.

I got a G27 today, from JBHI actually. After going to EB and Harvey both of them would not go below $520.

I went to JBHI in Geelong and said that I could get it online for $400 delivered, knowing full well that they have overheads etc to pay that online places dont; but thats life. So I said if you can match it then I will buy on right now.

The guy came from out the back, done, $409, happy with that.

The guy at JB reckons they dont move to fast, was happy to get them out the door..LOL

I also brought GRID as I wanted something to tide me over until GT5 is out, and I didn't want prologue. Cant wait to have a crack tonight and see how it goes.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
wadexr583

I think the G27 gains the led lights, but you miss out on the sequential option on the gear lever that the G25 has. You only get the H pattern with the G27. It probably doesnt matter anyway, just using the paddles pretty much does the same thing.

Wade
wadexr583 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
OK thought I would put in an update.

I got a G27 today, from JBHI actually. After going to EB and Harvey both of them would not go below $520.
Let us know what you think, as I'm interested in one as well.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post