Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Warranty? What Warranty....

Situation: Car wobbles under braking, possible warped rotor. Call local Ford Dealer, explain situation. Ask's what kind of warranty, I say Ford Premium Extended (I paid the extra 1.5k god dammit). He says not a warranty item, 110 each rotor thanks.

Now, to a not-so-technically minded person, the rotor is a mechanical essential part of the car. Without a rotor, your car tends not to decelerate too quickly. With a damaged rotor, braking is similarly affected (obviously not to the same extreme, but still, it shouldn't be doing it).

Is it worth me chucking up a stink to get this done under warranty? I have heard stories about rotors coming out on AU's all wonky n shiznit. No idea if this rotor is still the original though (being 115k's I'd say not).

Sometimes the wobble gets so bad under heavier braking applications that the brakes seem almost not to work at all (you can actually feel that the wheel/rotor is just bouncing happily away from the pads).

- Love Shane

clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

pads and rotors are serviceable items so not sure if they would be covered under that warranty.
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Sorry mate, even on new car warranty they are only covered to 100,000km. After that it is fair wear and tear.
Old 20-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

At 115k it is likely that they are still as fitted from new. My XR^ has done 100k and has about 30% pad life left. Take the car to a reputable brake place and have new pads fitted and rotors machined. Expect about $150.00 for front and the same for rear, if required. Fly to the moon before you would get them done under warranty on what is at a minimum a three and some year old car!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

they may be undersized which is why they may be trying to sell him new ones.
Old 20-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Out with the verniers and measure them, the minimum size is stamped on them.

Ask them to show you what the measurements are.
Old 20-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To replace the rotors which were warped on my premium brakes were $475 each. I went after market. I got the same speil from ford service department. Not covered. This was still under new car warranty. They said if it was a BA, it's been identified as a problem, they are being replaced under warranty. AU, no warranty.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

22.2 mm I think, but check to make sure
Old 20-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

You paid how much for the extended warrenty???

Sorry mate, but you were rolled big time. As if a warrenty isn't BS, you paid more for longer BS..
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
You paid how much for the extended warrenty???

Sorry mate, but you were rolled big time. As if a warrenty isn't BS, you paid more for longer BS..
My dealer offers a 5 year extended warranty. A few conditions, but nothing unreasonable. Of course its not a fulll warranty. But free for 5 years, its some kind of protection.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

26mm front and 16.5 mm back on the BA, just checked my old brakes. I think AU3 were the same size, weren't they?

I doubt very much that any extended warranty will cover rotors.
Old 21-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #12
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Shane,

I just had my front rotors replaced this morning, almost 90,000k's on the XR. Couldn't get them machined as they would be undersized (be good to have them as spares for track use, well there went that idea!). Anyway, the abovementioned measurements seem about right to me.

Mine started to get slight shudder at 60,000 k's.

You'd be much better off fitting a replacement set yourself with a set of aftermarket slotteds, or go to a place as MNM96 suggested, get your exisiting pads linished (if there's any of that left). As it's a wear and tear item I doubt it would be covered under extended warranty, which I also have.