The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bypass your P's with a driver training course

this taken from carpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoint
Defensive driving courses are being considered in an overhaul of Victoria's Graduated Licensing System
Victorian news agencies are today reporting that probationary drivers in Victoria could soon spend less time on their Ps with a new proposal suggesting compulsory defensive driving courses could be the answer to making the roads a safer place.

Under the scheme, probationary drivers under the age of 21 who successfully complete a privately operated defensive driving course would be fast-tracked to their full license, shortening the current four-year probation period. P-plate drivers in Victoria currently carry a restricted P1 (red P plate) license for twelve months before progressing to a P2 (green P plate) license for a further three years.

The current Graduated Licensing System (GLS) features a number of restrictions including vehicle performance limitations and peer passenger restrictions. The GLS was introduced in three stages from January 2007, but has come under fire recently as poorly trained young drivers become increasingly over represented in the state's road toll statistics.

While specifics of the new scheme are still a long way off, Road Minister Tim Pallas said the State Government would consider the idea only if it meant young drivers were better equipped to drive more safely on Victorian roads.

"The advice up until now has been relatively clear: that off-road driver training hasn't substantially improved the safety record for drivers," explained Pallas.

"Nonetheless, I understand it is an issue that is still the subject of debate. We'll look at it again."

But senior road safety researcher Stuart Newstead of the Monash University Accident Research Centre believes the idea needs more thought.

"Many of the driving courses that we have seen promoted through the community have proven to be relatively ineffective," said Newstead.

"I think the current graduated licensing system, is designed on the best available evidence of what is effective for young drivers."

Though not everyone believes the political spin, with Metropolitan Traffic Education Centre general manager Neill Shelldon telling the Carsales Network he believes professional training is pivotal to improving road safety among skill-poor 18-25 year-old drivers.

"The reality is, that as with any complex task, professional training will go a long way in assisting young drivers to have a better understanding of what their car and themselves as a driver can, and more importantly, can't do," explained Shelldon.

"There's this strange notion out there that defensive driving courses are all about encouraging faster driving -- this is nonsense. Defensive driving courses promote a go-safer, not a go-faster attitude, and it's vitally important that all young drivers gain some form of professional driver training to supplement the experience gained with Mum and Dad."
thoughts on this one

and please don't turn it into a p-plater bashing or a let's go the gov type of thread

Me i think it would be a great idea but it needs work as where will some get the training from ?

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems to be a step away from the usual rhetoric. We can only hope that it proves positive, however the skeptic in me thinks that it will fail....
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
bungarra

It is being looked at nationally. Most Police agencies are for it. I was surprised when the WA Police agreed it was a good idea given that this was brought up 5 years ago and was lampooned by the Office of Road Safety and Police.

I personally believ it to be a great idea.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
g220ba
FGX XR8

It's definetely a step in the right direction but it could be cause for problems looking forward.

It's always good for anyone to have the defensive driving skills but with those skills MAY come overconfidence. This should only be a small part of the driver training structure. The whole system requires an overhaul not just a band aid solution.

As i said step in the right direction but doesn't go anywhere near far enough to a proper solution.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds good!

I know ACT drivers have the P-Off course which a P Plater (min 6 months) attends an evening seminare and covers drugs, alcohol (including walking around with drunk goggles), car control, crashes, etc...

They then get an extra 4 demerit points on their licence (ACT does not have P-2 licences) and do not need to display their P-Plates...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Excellent, I like this idea!

Especially if it gets me off my P1s, its a bit of a bastard only being able to have one passenger between the age of 16-22 in my car, means we have to take multiple cars if we decide to go out somewhere.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Step in the right direction.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolutely brilliant idea.

P platers are not stupid (well mostly ), they are just inexperienced.

Right now all you have to do is pass the current simple driving test and then even if you never drive again for 3 years you are automatically on an open license and can teach learners.....

** actual example:
My sister got her license in 1978 and has NEVER driven since. For 22 years she got an award every year from some road safety group as she has a perfect driving record.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
My sister got her license in 1978 and has NEVER driven since. For 22 years she got an award every year from some road safety group as she has a perfect driving record.
Should go for her driving instructors license
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a good idea and long overdue.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Should go for her driving instructors license

LOL...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
KURS3D
KURS3D

personally i think it's a great idea to have a compulsory driving course for p-platers i did several different driving courses while on my p's and they were great
however that being said i dont think it should shorten the amount of time that u have to have your p's.
NO 2 day or even 2 week course can make up for real life experience over 3 years and i personally believe that driving high powered cars is a maturity thing as well as driving ability and experience and giving open licence's to ppl who have done a course isn't a good idea IMO. and yes i know there are p-platers out there who are mature and are brilliant driver's but the fact remains most arn't and the majority always rules
Old 23-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Talking to my son who is nearly 23 and sitting his test tomorrow, alot more people are waiting until they are older before getting their license.

It really shouldn't be an age thing. I realise that all the statistics in the world point to younger drivers, but how many people over the age of 21 have waited before sitting the test??

Doesn't matter what age you are in my opinion, it all comes down to being experienced and having confidence behind the wheel.
Old 27-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
XRSIZM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Sounds good!

I know ACT drivers have the P-Off course which a P Plater (min 6 months) attends an evening seminare and covers drugs, alcohol (including walking around with drunk goggles), car control, crashes, etc...

They then get an extra 4 demerit points on their licence (ACT does not have P-2 licences) and do not need to display their P-Plates...
Did not know this!
i think thats the way to go.
XRSIZM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I would think that is a great carrot and would benefit all.
Old 27-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

P is for provisional not punishment.

Experience is majority of the difference between a safe and unsafe driver, not time behind the wheel. Holding a license for 20 years but never driving in rain, at night, on dirt, in heavy traffic or distances longer than 25km does not automatically make you a safer driver than holding a license for 1 year and doing the above on a regular basis.
Old 27-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
P is for provisional not punishment.

Experience is majority of the difference between a safe and unsafe driver not time. Holding a license for 20 years but never driving in rain, at night, on dirt or in heavy traffic does not automatically make you a safer driver than holding a license for 1 year and doing the above on a regular basis.
Very true, however no amount of training can give you maturity..; a significant component, (along with experience) of what makes a safe driver...

Old 27-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woah. Looks like they've finally grown a brain.
Old 28-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
hopk88
Formally KezDaMuss

I believe this is a step in the right direction but not the solution to the problem.

I think the more effective thing would be somehow to fit compulsary driving tests and lessons into the school system. something like weekly or monthly school trip to a race track or something along those lines where students can get a feel for a car and know how to get out of sticky situations.

I dont think it the course should promote their license as most people said it's a maturity thing. If anything it may promote the younger drivers to drive more recklessly because they believe they can get out of the situation.

I am not sure how you would approach this but something has to be done with p platers, i have seen and know careful p platers but the majority of p platers think they are Jimmy Johnson and whirl about 20km over the speed limit. I dont think i go a day without having a p plater on my bumper.. I know this is a generalisation but i am speaking from the experiences i have had.

I know for me i used to be a bit of reckless driver until i tried to take a corner to fast on a drive home one night and suffered over steer and a brake lock and just clipped a giveway sign (a VERY gentle lovetap) but that experience scared the living daylights out of me and i have changed my driving style since..maybe (and this sound bad) a new driver needs to experience a situation like this to show them they arent made of steel..

End of Rant..haha
Reverse Parking Sensors, Full XR6 Body Kit, 18" XR8 Mag's, BMC Air Filter, F6 Typhoon Airbox with F6 Lower Intake & XR6 Turbo Upper Intake Snorkel, XR6 Turbo Exhaust, DBA Street Series Standard Front & Rear Rotors, Bendix GCT Front & Rear Pads
hopk88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont' think it'll make a lot of difference. it took me ten years to knuckle down and be a safe driver.
Old 28-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Very true, however no amount of training can give you maturity..; a significant component, (along with experience) of what makes a safe driver...
Training can bring maturity. Well to be more accurate 'respect'. After all what is maturity? The ability to consider consequences? the ability to resist temptation and peer pressure?
If the consequences are taught and understood/respected, then it can be easier to resist as you have an internal ground to stand, not floating with nothing to hold on to.

Education is very important, without knowledge there is no chance of an internal compass.
Old 28-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Training can bring maturity. Well to be more accurate 'respect'. After all what is maturity? The ability to consider consequences? the ability to resist temptation and peer pressure?
If the consequences are taught and understood/respected, then it can be easier to resist as you have an internal ground to stand, not floating with nothing to hold on to.

Education is very important, without knowledge there is no chance of an internal compass.
Without doubt.

But equally there are some biological aspects of "maturity" that will come into play too....
Sometimes nature needs to play out in its own time... you can't fast track or rush it.

We need to understand and respect this too...

Old 28-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

Yeah definitely.
Biological maturity will help further in the example I gave above, but alone it is missing a lot of support. The educated maturity is required.
Old 28-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maturity will help prevent doing things that may get you into trouble.

Experience and training will help you spot things going pear shaped sooner (whether it is your doing or not) and help you come out of it in better shape.

Last edited by flappist; 28-06-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 28-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #25
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Waaay back in 2004 (Dec 15), the then federal government, along with Victoria and NSW (license authorities) kicked off what was to become the National Driver Training Scheme.

It was supported by NRMA/RACV et al. Involved an emphasis on the 'defensive' driver components and uniform graduated licensing system adoption - (L, P1, P2). The idea was to also fund a free driving lesson (ev nationwide), which we see here:-
http://www.keys2drive.com.au/

VIC move signals various hints of things to come.

NSW on mentoring etc;-
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...torprogram.pdf

Needs - political will.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

If this scheme also includes no accumulation of points what so ever, within that period, seems like a fesable idea. Considering that most people i encounter everyday on the road (regardless of age) don't learn from experience, what difference will it make. Later..............
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post