Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Default iPhone Navigation App!

I'm looking at buying a navigation app for the phone. The top 3 seem to be tomtom vs sygic vs navigon, I like the look of sygic with what I have read! Has anyone used a navigation system on the iPhone? give us your review and what you liked or disliked!

And for all those iPhone bashers out there keep your opion to yourself, this thread isn't about how you dislike the iPhone!

Thanks
Tony

Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

get the tom tom app is the best

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have both the tomtom and sygic

find myself using sygic more often
just runs better and has current speed and a low form of lane guidence
the tomtom looks like a tomtom but ive found it can take a little longer to find satelites and seems to have a slower refresh rate (sygic isn't as fast as a conventional navigator but it still responds quicker then tomtom)

neither by any means are as good as an actual navigator. but they work for every day needs

i normally just have the phone connected to the stereo and put the phone in my center console and the instructions fade in when necessary

but thats because im too stingy to get a mount for it and im on my ps so im not even ment to use any function of a mobile phone

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

I never ended up forking out the cash for Tom Tom, Sygic or Navigon, but did download the Mocal app. Was free for first 30 days which was great timing. Went to Queensland on holiday.
After that you have to pay $10 for 30 days, Or $50 for 1 year, Or $60 for 3 years...which I haven't done as yet. No real need for me, but was good while using it. Spoken text to speech directions/street names were good. Was quick enough, never lagged.
This differs from the other navigation apps in that it uses your data to download the maps as you go, Vs having the maps loaded. Ok for the odd use, but it'd get expensive if using all the time. On the plus side, your maps will always be up to date.
Also, word is that Google is going to make their inbuilt maps app do "turn by turn", so this will work the same as the current Google Maps app (and Mocal). At a guess I'd say this might happen when OS4 is released in June/July.
Plus of that is you won't pay a cent for the app. This'll throw a cat amongst the pigeons won't it!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
JohnnyGT

As your phone been "jailbroken"? if yes i can supply you with any GPS...from Garmin,TomTom,Sygic,MagmilanIgo,Igo Amigo and any maps you want too..
Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought i'd add that sygic tells you the current speed limit

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
JohnnyGT

ross-b you got mail and join me on link for all iphone/ipod,webOS,palm.windows mobile ect.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just bought a n97 mini instead. ovi maps, free voice guided navigation, free updates, even free voice which reads out the street names.
cant beat it.
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Not another iPhone thread!!!!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Don't buy any, they'll be free soon
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Not another iPhone thread!!!!
We get that you hate them iPhones but do you need to remind us all everytime a thread is started on something about iPhone. Seriously, iPhones are mobile phones, why the personal crusade to rid the world of an evil iPhone, not really sure why you hate them so much. I think you need to get out more. If you hate Iphones, then good for you, but not everyone lives in your world. Some people do actually like them.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post