Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tax Reform

The government has performed a review and are looking at modifing the current tax system. Initially they were looking at simplifing the process (for example there are over 100 different taxes that may be imposed on businesses - some are applicable some are not) However my belief is that they are looking for additional revenue sources.

The proposed new system has the mining industry concerned as there is a new tax (Resource Super Profits Tax) Basically the miners will be forced to pay extra tax on any profit when it is realised.

This got me thinking currently we all pay different amounts of income tax (based on what we earn)
$0 – $6,000 Nil
$6,001 – $35,000 15c for each $1 over $6,000
$35,001 – $80,000 $4,350 plus 30c for each $1 over $35,000
$80,001 – $180,000 $17,850 plus 38c for each $1 over $80,000
Over $180,000 $55,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Now this system isnt perfect but it has been used for years

Is it in the governments best interst to scrap all taxes on business and implement a single tax based on the profitability of a business?

I have not put any thought into these figures below however this is just to give you and idea. Profit figure between $0 and $500 K would attract a tax figure of $0.20 for every dollar of profit. $500K to 1,000K would attract a tax figure of $0.23 to every dolalr profit and so on until you get to the larger corporations who earn 1 billion plus and they would pay $0.45 for every dollar of profit.

Obviously the tax would need to be structured in such a way to ensure it didnt restrict foreigh investment.

Thoughts and ideas - I havent had a chance to really think through this idea, but its just something that crossed my mind when reading the about the super resource income tax. Would be interested to hear what business owners think, would this reduce red tape and the burden of running a business?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Well ?? Interest rates cannot keep going up to slow things down while money from other sections is not affected too much by interest rates..
Seeing that up to 80% of these companies are owned by overseas people then fair enough..
Its seems a tax on there PROFFITS..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'd like to see the opportunity for first home buyers to use their superannuation as a bond to secure part of the value of their first home and offset the need for a high mortgage.

This offer would not be available to anyone buying a subsequent home or investment property, but would only be available once to first home owners. I'd also permit double-incomes to joint-invest.

Would take a lot of working out, but a simple idea that could liberate $40-$50k additional for people in the job market less than 10 years on top of their own bank savings. Help first home owners get into the market with not a cent extra needed by governments, but only available ot first home owners without just pumping cash into them to inflate market prices.

The equivalent portion of capital gain on the property upon sale of the first home would be payable back to the superannuation fund limited at a minimum to the value of the original principal investment - i.e. if the property loses value, the original sum would still be payable to encourage wiser investment and not over-investment and just using the money to buy a bigger, more expensive house that the investor can't genuinely afford.

The government could then offer greater first home owner's grants of say $15k to low income earners to assist them, but stop payment to anyone earning over say $20-30k p/a to encourage a strong belief in Super for almost all taxpayers and reward them for starting early.

It'd ultimately really only be available to people who've genuinely worked for it, who aren't just going cap-in-hand to a bank and borrowing way above their head and pocketing free government cash and it would keep the onus on the buyers that if they made a bad decision, it would still cost them their original investment as a minimum. Importantly, it'd still benefit renters who have had a hard time saving but have worked for years by giving them access to their super, but still not disadvantage those who have saved on top of their Super.

Last edited by zetec; 03-05-2010 at 08:47 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

when i started work in 1986 more people were in the highest tax bracket compared to today . but no one really cared about that because things were affordable a big chunk of things means a roof over your head . a tradesmans pay including overtime back then was about 32k gross . a 3bd house in the western suburbs of sydney . $75k
now that is enough said .
in the mid 80s tradesman in the mines were on around 55k .
a little later down the track when i bought a 3 bd house in sydneys west in 1992 . me being a tradesman then was on 65k inc ot. house price $170k
note well the obove only includes a single income . no spouses income included .
fastforward 18 years and here we are. average tradesman 100k . me i little more than that . but will take average and say around 100k ( av trade ) 3 bedroom house in sydneys west . $440k
before 2000 there was no GST. MORE PEOPLE WERE CLOSE TO TRADESMANS PAY . and long service was the norm .
nowadays we have minimum staffing ,less aussie industry, we own less of our resources, high job turnover labour, casual 2nd class employment , many many many people on less than $100k , education costs a fortune , and we pay for technology which has become the norm . like the internet . + + + + + + +.
DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHAT THE GOVT DOES WITH OUR TAX OR SUPER ANYMORE?
WHEN HAS EARNINGS BEEN THE MAIN ISSUE IN THE LAST 20 YEARS . ????
I'M STARTING TO GET ANGRY . TIME TO STOP TYPING .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote.
The government could then offer greater first home owner's grants of say $15k to low income earners to assist them, but stop payment to anyone earning over say $20-30k p/a to encourage a strong belief in Super for almost all taxpayers and reward them for starting early.

Any one earning this should NEVER consider buying a house !!
This is what started the financial crises in the first place..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Quote.

Any one earning this should NEVER consider buying a house !!
This is what started the financial crises in the first place..
Completely agree, but it unfortuantely always comes with a balance in the public's eyes and no government would ever have the balls to deny those that shouldn't buy a house the means to do so... even if it makes finanical sense. They'd be seen ot be denying them the Great Australian Dream, which itself is already out of reach of many.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Completely agree, but it unfortuantely always comes with a balance in the public's eyes and no government would ever have the balls to deny those that shouldn't buy a house the means to do so... even if it makes finanical sense. They'd be seen ot be denying them the Great Australian Dream, which itself is already out of reach of many.
Yea the banks won't give them credit anyway...
Even with 20% deposit...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Yea the banks won't give them credit anyway...
Even with 20% deposit...
I had trouble with 45%
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Thats why we have this " affordable housing" Govt. BS spin. It keeps the "battlers" hopes up that they might just get that house one day.
Govt. know they won't, but roll out the BS for votes.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If I could invest my super into a home as propositioned by zetec, that would be nearly 20,000 I could theoretically put towards a home, more every day as I salary sacrifice and personally contribute.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tax reform? How can adding a tax be beneficial for the businesses it's taxing? Cape Lambert has announced it will pull out of exploration in Australia. This is exactly the type of business the government says will benefit from it's tax changes. You can bet RTIO and BHP won't hesitate to pull the pin on further upgrades earmarked to start next year and 2012.

My super fund has copped a flogging and interest rates are going up. If this government keeps up it's genius plans it will be on a sure fire one term track record!

There's been no tax reform or simplification, just more taxes and levies imposed.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
xy500
Constant annoyance

Am I the only one ticked off that ruddy wants to fill Canberra's coffers with the money made in WA? its a rort, where do you come up with such a policy? Trying to get the economy moving? why not just tax the booming industry until no one wants to invest in it any more.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
Am I the only one ticked off that ruddy wants to fill Canberra's coffers with the money made in WA? its a rort, where do you come up with such a policy? Trying to get the economy moving? why not just tax the booming industry until no one wants to invest in it any more.
Best quote I have heard on this was;

"The government estimates cutting down on smoking by increasing taxes, what do they think will happen as a result of increasing taxes on mining?"

Billions already wiped off the big miners, which is where most peoples super funds lay. This truly is one epic fail of a policy.

Quote: