Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFGXR6
Yep Krudds going to make you pay for the plasma bonus ten fold any way he can. Nanny state No, nanny Country Yes. Perhaps this is the sign of what we are all in for. Soon we wont be able to pass wind with out the government knowing and fining us for it.
Melbourne speed cameras have nothing to do with the federal government's coffers. Its inept state governments that put these up to make up for their mismanagement.....I mean 'make the roads safer'.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #32
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfraser
They definitely don't save lives, and I agree more cops on the road would do a better job at doing so. .
Good! But if they dont then why is the government lying to us and say that they do?

Quote:
If you're worried about an inaccurate speedo though, get it re-calibrated. .
Im not, but if you dont know and get done then what? pay to get a certificate and pay a solicitor and fight it in court? thats not right is it- guilty until proven innocent... hang on a minute....In Australia??

Quote:
They'll always be taking our money, at least with speed cameras it's usually in our control (i.e. our right foot) whether they get it or not.
Usually - but it only takes like i said, speedo error or a brief loss of concentration, an overtaking manoeuvre which requires extra speed to limit your exposure to a dangerous situation, camera error, radio interference, sun spots, low flying UFO's or a second gun man on a grassy knoll -you get the idea.
No driver stays under the limit ALL THE TIME its only a matter before you get "fined" i prefer to call it "randomly taxed".

The sadest part is that the people that drive the most and can least afford it (to accrue demerit points) are statistically more likely to get done. Thats why more cops to police real speeding is the morally right thing to do. They can use discretion - a camera does not.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #33
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They definitely don't save lives, and I agree more cops on the road would do a better job at doing so.

If you're worried about an inaccurate speedo though, get it re-calibrated.

They'll always be taking our money, at least with speed cameras it's usually in our control (i.e. our right foot) whether they get it or not.
Why should one have to get a speedo re-calibrated if you own a PRE 2006 Car, where ADR's allow a +/- 10% tolerance on accuracy with speeds above 40km/h.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #34
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
Why should one have to get a speedo re-calibrated if you own a PRE 2006 Car, where ADR's allow a +/- 10% tolerance on accuracy with speeds above 40km/h.
Because the onus is on you to have your vehicle both roadworthy, & you in complete control. Oh! Ever said to the big blue uniformed man, "My speedo said: */**km/hr, (how many times have they heard that?) Its a pre 06 car, they allow a 10% limit!" See how far that gets you. The bottom line is, you are expected to to know about these faults, even though you have no way to know.

Flappist??? Where are you???? Been waiting for you to comment on this thread!!!!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 10-04-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #35
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Soon the economy in Victoria will plummit, people will lose licenses due to minor infrigments in masses with all these hidden cameras resulting in possible job losses due to being unable to get to work. I mean walking pace over the limit due to a lapse of concentration and you have done either 1 or 3 points. Going by the recent news in regards to the bashing at Hungry Jacks you get a lesser penalty for bashing someone and scaring them for life. Drivers are simply an easy target to make money. Imagine if you were fined the same amount for being a week over the due date for a bill.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
These days a 5 foot female gets out
Its pretty funny because my Mum got knocked back from the police force 30 years + ago because she was too short. Though, I'd be more worried of coming up against my mum if she caught me speeding, instead of a fine I'd cop the rolling pin across the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
Soon the economy in Victoria will plummit, people will lose licenses due to minor infrigments in masses with all these hidden cameras resulting in possible job losses due to being unable to get to work. I mean walking pace over the limit due to a lapse of concentration and you have done either 1 or 3 points. Going by the recent news in regards to the bashing at Hungry Jacks you get a lesser penalty for bashing someone and scaring them for life. Drivers are simply an easy target to make money. Imagine if you were fined the same amount for being a week over the due date for a bill.
Its also a pain in the *** for a P plater because if you get speeding fines, they extend your P1 period by 6 months or more, so if you get unlucky enough you could cop the demerit points, plus be stuck on your Ps for longer than 4 years, also with 5 points, that gives you a max of 5 chances.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

double post
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #38
jsoto
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Government obviously needs more money again.
hit the nail on the head here mate.
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #39
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Someone should just go over and put tape over the cameras haha. I'm assuming these are the ones that are fixed into the ground?
Yep, they look like a fat, short bollard.

Funny story actually, the one on Maroondah Highway in Croydon was vandalised a few times when it was first installed.

It ranged from the perspex windows being spray painted to someone coming along with a tow rope and ripping it out of the ground with a car.

I believe it has a survelance camera inside of it now

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #40
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
Yep, they look like a fat, short bollard.
Anybody got any photos of what these new ones look like???

And do they still have the signs indicating you're getting close to a camera???
Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #41
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the article about it being destroyed:
http://www.austech.info/electronics/...lbourne-3.html

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #42
Den76
Phantom cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkvt8
Melbourne's new super Speed cameras

It's a cylindrical pole about 2m high with 3 Perspex stripes on it (hidden cameras, one for each lane of the highway), and there's some matching sensors on the far side of the road in the gutter.

When you see the stripes it means that there is a speed camera. The locations for these new cameras are listed below. The one in question is located at the bottom of a very steep hill. Of course it is illegal for a radar or mobile speed camera to be set up in these sort of positions but its ok if its fixed.

Melbourne's new super cameras locations

Burke Rd & Prospect Hill Rd, Camberwell VIC 3124
Springvale Rd & Maroondah Highway Service Ln Nunawading VIC 3131
Royal Parade & Cemetery Rd W, Carlton North VIC 3054
Canterbury Rd & Station St, Box Hill South VIC 3128
Bell St & St Georges Rd, Preston VIC 3072
Warrigal Hwy & N Rd, Bentleigh East VIC 3166
Albert St & Gower St, Preston VIC 3072
Williamstown Rd & Somerville Rd, Yarraville VIC 3013
Warrigal Hwy & Centre Rd, Oakleigh South VIC 3167
Ballarat Rd & Churchill Ave, Maidstone VIC 3012
Spencer St & Dudley St, West Melbourne VIC 3003
Hoddle St & Johnston St, Abbotsford VIC 3067
Punt Rd & High St, Windsor VIC 3181
Dandenong Rd & Clayton Rd, Oakleigh East VIC 3168
Springvale Rd & Cheltenham Rd, Keysborough VIC 3173
Mt Alexander Rd & Maribyrnong Rd, Ascot Vale VIC 3032
Foster St & McCrae St, Dandenong VIC 3175
Geelong Road & Droop Street, Footscray
Sydney Rd & Harding St, Coburg VIC 3058
Millers Rd & Blackshaws Rd, Altona North VIC 3025
Geelong Rd & Geelong St, Kingsville VIC 3012
Fitzroy St & Princes St, St Kilda VIC 3182
Doncaster Rd & Wetherby Rd, Doncaster VIC 3109
Barkly St & Carlisle St, St Kilda VIC 3182
Warrigal Hwy & Batesford Rd, Chadstone VIC 3145
Warrigal Hwy & Centre Dandenong Rd, Cheltenham VIC 3192
Barkers Rd & Denmark St, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Nicholson St & Elgin St, Fitzroy VIC 3053
Smithfield Rd & Epsom Rd, Kensington VIC 3031
Maroondah Highway near where the Bird and Bottle used to be on North side of road, almost on bend in road

The list above was and still is the list of upgraded sites from old wet red light film camera's to the new digital redlight / speed cameras.
From my knowledge the new cylindrical system was a new range of cameras Vic Pol / State Gov were trialing but the company was unsuccesfull with the tender.
The reflectors across the road way would have been a secondary system for corroboration purposes only, These Radar systems do not need so called reflectors as they use the Doppler Principle.
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post