Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 29-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wiki

Just been wondering why the AFF site doesn't have a wiki yet?
For those of you that don't know what a wiki is, take a look at Wikipedia.
I would think it would be a good idea, would replace a lot of the stickies throughout the different forums. Can easily be maintained by the users. What do people think?
I also frequent the Aussie Frogs web site for French cars, and they have a wiki but don't use it much. I've been trying to encourage them on a few things as it just makes sense rather than having threads on the same subject over and over again. They also use vBulletin so there must be a wiki that integrates in there somewhere?

Old 30-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Excellent idea. I too had thought such a section would be a necessity, as much of the knowledge here is assumed to be known by all, especially about the older falcons intricate details which were past many of our times.

I'm sure there are those willing to share knowledge, all we need is some action by the mods

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

It does, its called the search function
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Cam
Stroking it...

I too think its a great idea, especially for newbies to the car world!

Not everyone knows what a BBM or PCM is, or how they work..

It could be run in conjunction with the "rep power". As someone posts useful information on the wiki, they should be rewarded with rep points..

It would need start with the basics, like how an engine works, and gradually progress into more tech stuff, like the difference between a MAF and MAP etc etc
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
johnny351
used to be johnny260

yeh this is a great idea cause the normal Wikipedia dont have much about the falcon ....i actually had to change the muscle car wiki once cause it said holden had a ute and didnt mention ford at all
Old 31-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
The search function doesn't allow people to update the information should it be wrong, misleading or has been updated. Wiki does. As an example, what about a thread which lists mechanics in a certain area? Mechanics come and go, details about them change like phone numbers and addresses. A thread will have the wrong info should an address change, but a wiki can be updated with the new information.
Anyway, I've just thrown it out there to see what others think.
Old 31-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
George, the search function is pretty limited. I don't know how many times I've been frustrated with it.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I'd be happy to try help organise something should it go ahead. I've got too much time on my hands atm, and would be a good learning curve for me.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AussieFrogs web site uses http://www.nuhit.com/products/vbwiki-pro.html. Cost is USD$60. I wouldn't know if there is a free alternative that integrates as well?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

There is alot of technical information in the technical section all continuosly updated by Russellw. So what would the advantage be of having a seperate "wiki"?

I dont really understand what "Wiki" is or how it works...I must be getting old...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
There is alot of technical information in the technical section all continuosly updated by Russellw. So what would the advantage be of having a seperate "wiki"?

I dont really understand what "Wiki" is or how it works...I must be getting old...
i was thinking the same.............

must be getting old

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #12
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
It means that anyone can update it. Saves having Russellw do all the work. It's a community updated web pages. A good example would be the engine weight thread in the Pub. Create a wiki page listing engines and their weights. Anyone can then edit it later on should more engines come along or if the information is incorrect. It's not just up to one person to maintain. It's for the whole community to look after. It's about spreading the load of maintaining information and making it more readily available.

Quote:
You've never used Wikipedia to look up something? How about wiki ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia
Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good example of why it may not work so well can be seen in many of the LPG, Supercharged BOSS, T3, P Plate etc etc threads.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A good example of why it may not work so well can be seen in many of the LPG, Supercharged BOSS, T3, P Plate etc etc threads.
Builds and the discussions on different topics should stay as threads as they are now. It's the wealth of information that exists in how-to's and technical information that would be best suited to a wiki situation. We have a wealth of knowledge with the vast amount of different people that frequent these forums, the only problem is that the information could be buried on page 34 of a 61 page thread. (An exaggerated example, I know, but you get the idea)
A wiki could even supplement the Tech Doc threads. As you know, they are all mixed in together for different models. A wiki could have links to different Ford models and then have the links to that model's tech docs. Would make it a bit easier to find.
Have a look at the Aussie Frogs one as an example of how it applies to cars.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/wiki

I'm not trying to say that we need one here at AFF, I just personally think that the site would benefit from the use of one to help organise all the vast amount of information that is contained here in a nice, easy to use way.
We use one at our work (IT) and it really helps us find information easily, considering that our IT is spread out over 4 different states in Australia over a vast amount of different projects.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I don't think it's intention is to 'discuss' these topics, rather to give information to those unaware about the topic,

e.g. the difference between a clevo and windsor (I'll admit i have no idea), changes to the I6 engine since the beginnings (introduction of fuel injection etc.), The history of the falcon GT, the list goes on.

I think the members here share a great wealth of knowledge and we have a lot of potential for a good knowledge base.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We are gradually migrating all the individual how to's to the Tech section so that they don't get buried in the middle of threads. When there are sufficient numbers there I will break them up into individual models but for now they can be sorted alphabetically anyway.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Further to my post above, the Tech area has now been extensively reworked as follows:

Specifications - General / AU / BA-BF / E_Series / FG / X-Series / Non-Falcon / Vehicle Standards

Technical Docs - General / AU / BA-BF / Car Care / EA-EL / Territory

If anyone would like to submit an article or is aware of a post that should be included then please PM me the details.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post