Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How good are ford engineers

Have been trying a Hilux for work for a couple of weeks instead of the trusty BFII, 1 tonne ute with dedicated gas.

Jeez it just shows how good ford engineers are.

The Hi lux v6 is a peice of Cr--- compared to the BF I dont know how the Hi lux could be the most popular vehicle in Australia, whats wrong with us buying it

The falcon ute runs rings around the Toy thy both use the same amount of fuel to do 295 kms but the hi lux uses petrol and cost twice as much to fill

music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
xrford
WAGONE

The falcon ute is such an underated work horse imo, pretty sure ive seen the brickies on a job once load at least 1.5 tonne of bricks in the back, and it just drove off and up the road/ hill like it was empty! ....try find a holden to do that lol
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the aircon's in them are sh..... Driven a few brand newie's in the pilbara and up in NT and the aircon in me 20yo mazzy does a better job!!
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Because they have that Toyota badge on them..

I cant stand them!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
mustang70

Hilux petrol motors have always been pretty heavy on fuel, the turbo diesel is the pick if fuel economy bothers you, an option not available on the falcon.they also come in 4X4,another option not available on the falcon,being a 4X4 it not even a comparison really is it? Its also available as a duel cab,etc etc etc
Yes they're both utes,you might as well compare a Prado and a BF Wagon, they're both wagons arent they?
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mining companies love them, its because they are reliable unfortunately. Every Rio Tinto company car I have seen is a Toyota and I believe BHP is the same. Even the rental companies up here in the Pilbara won't buy anything but Toyota.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Mining companies love them, its because they are reliable unfortunately. Every Rio Tinto company car I have seen is a Toyota and I believe BHP is the same. Even the rental companies up here in the Pilbara won't buy anything but Toyota.
Agree.. I've seen a smaller mine try to go nissan patrol.. Massive fail.. Toyota's are tough as, well the hj75 ute's are.. Especially underground we did everything we could to break them, occasionally they did but the abuse they took was LEGENDARY.. :evil3:
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #8
mustang70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Agree.. I've seen a smaller mine try to go nissan patrol.. Massive fail.. Toyota's are tough as, well the hj75 ute's are.. Especially underground we did everything we could to break them, occasionally they did but the abuse they took was LEGENDARY.. :evil3:
yep a friends work tried to go cheaper than Hilux with 4X4 Rodeos then with 4X4 Couriers. They're back on Hilux and won't try again ,neither of those two could hack the really hard stuff all day every day.
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reliability + resale is why they sell more, simple.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've had quite a bit of problems with our Hiluxs at work. Rattly engines, noisy diffs, throwout bearings on the clutches, leaking gearboxes, CV joints, wheel bearing. None of them have more than about 60k kms on them either.
The older models may have been good but these new ones have been nothing but garbage.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

It's no coincidence that the Aussie Ford Engineers have the contract to do the engineering on the global replacement for the aging Ford Ranger/Mazda Bravo twins. Known internally as project T6, prototypes wearing old/mocked up bodywork have been seen on both sides of the globe out testing during the year (LHD and RHD).

The Hilux and others should expect a hiding when this (eventually) hits the roads.

I wonder how much of the current Hilux complaints are a result of manufacture switching from Japan (earlier models) to Thailand (current model) thanks to the 'free trade agreement' Australia has with that country.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hiluxes are very uncomfortable, cramped, feel cheap, brake woefully with a load on and handle incredibly bad.

Being part of the workers committee at my job we had successfully convinced the fleet department to replace the diesel Hiluxes with eGas Falcon RTVs, funnily enough it was the 'green' angle on replacing the large fleet with LPG vehicles which would of got Ford the contract but alas they had just cancelled the RTV so we still continue with buying Hiluxes.

It beggars belief that with all the farms and building contractors and lifestyle buyers in this country that the Falcon ute has such a narrow market focus. If I was Ford I would aim to sell 2000 Falcon utes a month with a wide range of variants. It is such a great vehicle its almost like its not being used to its potential.

My quick and cheap variant changes to Falcon ute:

-Column shift option on XR6, XR6 Turbo and XR8
-Luxury variant like G6E, kinds of like what they do in the US with the popular F150 Eddie Bauer version (im not sure how a luxury version would go down though in Aus, for some reason I think Farmers would like it)
-One tonne payload option on XR6 Turbo and XR8
-Factory bull bar option across the range (like the AU days)
-Heavy duty tow package with upgraded diff, rear suspension and FPV brakes to give a 2.8 tonne tow rating (if a rubbish Ranger can tow 3 tonne, a Falcon would have no problem).
-RTV package of off road suspension and locking diff
-Base XL ute to have an extra half inch ground clearance
-Option to have slightly higher ground clearance on XRs, so you have the looks and the practicality

Dream changes:
-Dual cab option
-Diesel
-4wd option

Last edited by Brazen; 10-12-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was comparing rwd variants my work was also about to trial RTV's when Ford canceled, them took a lot of work with comitees etc
the RTV had the higher hip point when you get in and out 30 40 times a day

wish they would bring them back, Ford marketing again
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrford
The falcon ute is such an underated work horse imo, pretty sure ive seen the brickies on a job once load at least 1.5 tonne of bricks in the back, and it just drove off and up the road/ hill like it was empty! ....try find a holden to do that lol
No point even trying.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Meh, Rio and the like use em for different reasons I rekon,
Woodside are using Rodeo's
Rio had F250's on there Rail service units not sure if they still do.
We had Ford Rangers and the odd Patrol when i worked at Hope downs (Contractor) Rio used Land cruisers but had F250's as Ambo's.

I'd take a Ranger over a Hilux any day of the week and iv driven them both as work cars on Mine sites. But I'd go a V8 T/Top Cruiser over a Ranger.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These new hiluxes are cheap thrown together rubbish. Mining companies run with them for the reason that they are toyotas.

Compared to the 75 though. No comparison. I've driven over 60 metre high sanddunes, made a road with one (by pushing over trees) and jumped one.

And most famously of all, pulled a porta loo up hill in a gale at 110.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
These new hiluxes are cheap thrown together rubbish. Mining companies run with them for the reason that they are toyotas.

Compared to the 75 though. No comparison. I've driven over 60 metre high sanddunes, made a road with one (by pushing over trees) and jumped one.

And most famously of all, pulled a porta loo up hill in a gale at 110.

hahaha! as much as I love Fords, if I ever win the lotto I reckon a 75 series V8 diesel has my name on it.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

want to bag the falc ute i want a 3 seater XR can't get one because column auto isnt "sporty" and goes against the XR sportyness - my response was uh ok fit a flappy paddle box like a ferrari then - response was silence from dealer had no "smart *** comeback"

THEY MAKE ONE OF THESE I WILL BE BUYING IT case closed

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mining companies love them, its because they are reliable unfortunately. Every Rio Tinto company car I have seen is a Toyota
The Rio Tinto-owned "Kennecott" open-pit copper mine in Bingham Canyon near Salt Lake City, UT runs a fleet of Ford F350 V10s. Largest open-pit mine in the world. So I guess not everyone wants a Toyota :-).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #20
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
The Rio Tinto-owned "Kennecott" open-pit copper mine in Bingham Canyon near Salt Lake City, UT runs a fleet of Ford F350 V10s. Largest open-pit mine in the world. So I guess not everyone wants a Toyota :-).
haha that would be awesome

Mining company's in Australia use Toyota as they can get 4WD wagon's, 4WD Utes and 4WD duel cabs all Diesel's and available with the Poverty pack option AKA "Miner Option" something not Manny manufactures do.... Except TOYOTA.

Ya BHP & Rio Tinto's are way to big to give a rats about good resale value, they service the hell out of em anyway and don't keep them long enough to have major reliability problems.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know of companies that wernt using 70s Cruisers because they didnt come with airbags (only just rectified in the last few months) and ones that wouldnt use Hiluxs as they couldnt do 700km without a refuel.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
It's no coincidence that the Aussie Ford Engineers have the contract to do the engineering on the global replacement for the aging Ford Ranger/Mazda Bravo twins. Known internally as project T6, prototypes wearing old/mocked up bodywork have been seen on both sides of the globe out testing during the year (LHD and RHD).

The Hilux and others should expect a hiding when this (eventually) hits the roads.
The T6 certainly promises plenty and by the looks of it, will be the best tested Ford ever engineered in this country. They've popped up all over the globe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I wonder how much of the current Hilux complaints are a result of manufacture switching from Japan (earlier models) to Thailand (current model) thanks to the 'free trade agreement' Australia has with that country.
Yep, yet Toyota still charge made in Japan prices for their uncomfortable, harsh riding, pathetically bad handling Hilux.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #23
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
want to bag the falc ute i want a 3 seater XR can't get one because column auto isnt "sporty" and goes against the XR sportyness - my response was uh ok fit a flappy paddle box like a ferrari then - response was silence from dealer had no "smart *** comeback"

THEY MAKE ONE OF THESE I WILL BE BUYING IT case closed
And who is the other person who would buy that combo, to make it viable as an option.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post